Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:03 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 8:15 am 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model: '66 Dodge Dart
Greetings All. Long time lurker, first time poster here... I am zeroing in on refreshing the slant in my '66 Dart. I dont know a lot about the engines history, other than my grandfather had it "rebuilt" many years ago. I dont know if it was bored, re-ringed or what. I obviously won't know until i pop the head off. The engine makes no concerning noises other than an intake/exhaust gasket leaking. It has been mostly unused for many years. I've messed with it off and on as time and money allowed. I've gotten parts as deals came up over the last several years. I think most of it goes together into a somewhat cohesive package but i think i might need some help filling in the gaps here. The car is not a daily driver, those days are behind it. I want it as a weekend type cruiser at best. It needs to have power to keep pace with modern traffic, something it severely lacks now. Here's what I have lying in wait for it.

Freshly rebuilt head w/ .100" removed, 44cc chambers, large valves. new guides and seals.

Clifford Hyperpack intake - I bought this packaged with a Carter 500CFM 4bbl carburetor(EDIT - 625cfm). I think this is too big. For now im thinking of sticking with the trusty 2300 holley 350CFM carb I put on it several years ago. Eventually I'll go to the Holley sniper or one of the other TBI setups. My problem is that the bolt pattern doesnt match the Carb that was supplied with it.
Does anyone happen to know what carb bolt pattern the Clifford Hyperpack is made for?

Erson TQ20 cam.
.220/.220 @.050
.465/.465
111° centerline
Can anyone tell me what i need to do to degree the cam? There seems to be a split on offset cam bushings and crank gears with multiple clock options.

Dual Dutras - Aussispeed variant.

I dont plan on going crazy with the bottom end. It's my intentions to clean it up, re-ring the engine, and install fresh gaskets.

Last edited by wrenchdoctor on Tue May 23, 2023 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 8:45 am 
Board Sponsor & SL6 Racer

Car Model: 65 Valiant 2Dr Post
The 500 would be a great carb for your engine and they are easy to tune from the top.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 10:31 am 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model: '66 Dodge Dart
So i think i did not remember that correctly. Best i can read off the pictures ive taken is that its a Carter AFB, number is 2959 9637 SA. The (5) in the first set as well as the (6) in the second set are hard to deciphor.

That comes up as 625CFM :(

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 1:42 pm 
Board Sponsor & SL6 Racer

Car Model: 65 Valiant 2Dr Post
I have used both the offset cam bushings and the gear with different settings. The bushings are easier to use. I took my gear when I used it and sanded the inside so that it did not fit so tight on the crank. That is the real pain of using the gear. What I did was sanded the inside of the gear until I could take the gear, heat it a little with my propane torch , and have it slide on by hand. When cooled it is plenty tight. Want to remove it? Just hit it with the torch for a bit and it slides right off. I also put never sieze on the shaft.

With your cam, decent head and headers, you will still be fine with the 625. You are only running on the 2 barrel 99% of the time anyhow. Good luck.