Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:53 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 1:35 pm 
Site Admin

Car Model: 2023 Eichman Digger?
+1 on rings.

CJ

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 1:46 pm 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
Dear Slant Sixers,

Please let me clarify: Doug and I have spent a ton of time over the last 6-8 months and put forth money to do the forged Icon piston group buy.

If someone ELSE can organize a ring group buy, that would be MUCH APPRECIATED. I do not have more time to spend on such a project. This should be much simpler to do than the piston group buy becuase nothing needs to be designed, only coordinated and ordered.

I will happily hope for a volunteer or two to organize this and contact/coordinate with Hastings or Mahle or another ring maker, or a distributor.

Thanks and all the best!

Lou

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:58 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model: 1964 Valiant 2dr post
Hi guys,

Been years...maybe 5yrs since I've posted. Still try to keep up once in awhile. I wish this piston buy had happened back in 2015 or so, although I've always kinda done things my own way. After reading through this thread, I noticed quite a few people asking about floating or pressed pins and oiling for such. I don't want to hijack the thread, but I do have a few pictures that members might find of interest.

First, I'm building a 243.87" motor using a stock crank, K1 7" rods, and JE custom pistons purchased in late 2016. They were at that time $740 with rings.They are setup for "0" deck with a minimal cut on my block, machine work completed in early 2017 then life went sideways again. I'll post about that on a thread of my own.

These pictures are representative of what you might get if you ordered a similar piston and the the JE spec sheet as well. Piston weight 381 grams.

Piston top side...

From bottom...

I'm not sure how many pictures can be in one post, so pin oiling pictures next post.

Gearhead
AKA Karl

64 Valiant
Old 225, 4spd, 2.92-8.75, 2bbl, headers
dual 2.25"

Last edited by gearhead on Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:21 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model: 1964 Valiant 2dr post
So, I'm in the middle of building four engines right now...1970 426 Hemi that must have been pulled from a swamp or the bottom of the ocean, a 306 Ford with roller cam and AFR heads, a destroked Pontiac 350" with a custom Crower crank for our 303.5" 72 FB road race car, and some work on a .060" slant six for my own car which I will start a thread about. My 243" /6 will wait until I get the T5 swap done.

Anyway...I have pictures to show my K1 rods and how they handle the pin oiling, and the Crower rods for our Pontiac and how they handle the oiling.

First, the Crower 7.1" rod, pin is oiled from the top...

K1 7.005 Rods oiled from two holes from opposite sides from the bottom of the pin bore...

That's all, just there for visual information of how two different companies approach things...there might be good reasons because of the different rod designs, but I leave that to the companies making them to decide.

Gearhead
AKA Karl

64 Valiant
Old 225, 4spd, 2.92-8.75, 2bbl, headers
dual 2.25"

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:22 am 
Triple Duece Weber

Car Model: 1972 Dodge Colt
Thanks for that info.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 2:13 pm 
Board Sponsor & SL6 Racer

Car Model: 65 Valiant 2Dr Post
Karl, don't stay away so long! Start a post about your Valiant and the specifics of your build. If I do another big bore, it would be in the neighborhood of what you are doing with yours. :D

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 3:25 pm 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model: 64 Valiant Convertible, 64 Valiant 2dr Post, 64 va
Are all the pistons spoken fore, I may be interested in a set.
Thanks
RJ

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 3:54 pm 

Car Model:
The extra set I ordered has already been snapped up. It is possible I could add a set since they have not been made yet. I will check, but please remind me by Monday if I forget. I am travelling for work until Sunday...

Lou

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:16 am 

Car Model:
Dear Pop-up Piston Purchasers,

UEM/Icon says they will have the pistons done and shipped to me this week, and they will charge my credit card with the 2nd half of the total bill (almost $5000).

Please send me the remaining balance, or please get ready to send it. I will send everyone PMs with your amount due soon.

NOTE that 3 of you used Paypal "purchase" instead of "friends and family" so that caused me to see a 3% fee, and it was reported to the IRS for me. If you did that, I need you to send me the 3% fee from last time ($6) plus the balance due, and please use the friends and family option this time.

Personal checks or MOs are also great.

If you want your set of pistons shipped directly to you, then please send an additional $50 so I can rebox your set and ship them to you. Many of you I can just hand them off at races or through the Slanted Network and that is by far my preference.

Thanks!
Lou

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 6:36 am 

Car Model:
Update/reminder on the piston geometry/specs:

1) The compression height is 1.84", which is 0.100" taller than stock. This is 15.9 cc's reduction in TDC compression volume compared to stock.
2) The valve reliefs are around 6.5 cc's (removal of material, so larger compression volume).
3) The quench dome is 0.075" tall and about 1/4 of the piston area, so right around 3 cc's (adding material, so smaller compression volume).

There has been a delay on the pistons, and I am told I will receive half of them in 1-2 weeks from now and half of them about 2 weeks after that.

If you are in a hurry to receive yours, please PM me and I can ship yours out as soon as I get them.

All the best and Slant on,
Lou

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:01 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model: 64 Valiant
gearhead wrote:
So, I'm in the middle of building four engines right now...1970 426 Hemi that must have been pulled from a swamp or the bottom of the ocean, a 306 Ford with roller cam and AFR heads, a destroked Pontiac 350" with a custom Crower crank for our 303.5" 72 FB road race car, and some work on a .060" slant six for my own car which I will start a thread about. My 243" /6 will wait until I get the T5 swap done.

Anyway...I have pictures to show my K1 rods and how they handle the pin oiling, and the Crower rods for our Pontiac and how they handle the oiling.

First, the Crower 7.1" rod, pin is oiled from the top...

K1 7.005 Rods oiled from two holes from opposite sides from the bottom of the pin bore...

That's all, just there for visual information of how two different companies approach things...there might be good reasons because of the different rod designs, but I leave that to the companies making them to decide.

Gearhead
AKA Karl

It's by design, H-beam rods are drill through the bottom below the wrist pin while I-beam rods are drilled through the top. All manufacturers do this depending on the style of rod used. Carrillo, Crower, Oliver, etc....

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:56 am 

Car Model:
Dear All,

I have received the first 10 sets of pistons and the rest should come in the next 1-3 weeks. I am out of town for a week and then can start shipping/distributing them. I have received payment from everyone, I believe.

It turns out I have one extra set I am willing to sell if you did not get in on the original order. Feel free to tell your friends or PM me.

Thanks and all the best,
Lou Madsen