Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:14 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: Impact or not?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:08 am 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model: 1983 d150
I have a 1983 Dodge d150 with a slant 6. I am going to replace head gasket and intake and exhaust gasket. I am going to soak the exhaust and intake manifold bolts in oil for a couple of days. Should I use a impact wrench should I use a socket? Thanks for any help!

Post subject: Re: Impact or not?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2023 6:00 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
A lot of those studs will probably break either way.

Especially if you use an impact on them.

Soak in kroil, then heat and take your time.

Greg

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2023 7:25 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
I would not use the impact myself. Breaking off studs may take some doing to fix. What symptoms are causing you to want to replace those gaskets? Just curious...

Lou

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:04 am 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
It is very much worth your while to get the good gaskets for the manifolds-to-head and intake-to-exhaust junctions.

Hardware info—because yeah, you're likely to break stuff—is here and here.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:04 am 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

The reason I am replacing those gaskets is the truck is 40 years old it says 73,000 miles on the odometer that could be $173,000 or 273,000 I'm not sure the exhaust intake gasket is shot the donut gasket is gone I thought with that old of a motor if I'm going to pull the manifold in the intake I might as well replace head gasket while I have manifold exhaust off
I'm going to replace timing chain and gears lean burn conversion. And new carb.I am replacing 0ne barrel carter I am using trans adapter for 2 barrel
What do u think?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2023 12:15 pm 

Car Model:
Robin1983 wrote:
The reason I am replacing those gaskets is the truck is 40 years old

One important thing to learn about old vehicles: setting out to replace parts just because, without any indication they're due for replacement, is a good way to cost y'self a lot of money, time, blood, sweat, and tears.

In other words: if it's working, and it's not a scheduled-replacement part, best leave it be.

(This also applies to old houses, but at a much bigger scale of money, time, blood, sweat, and tears.)

Quote:
I'm not sure the exhaust intake gasket is shot
You'd know.

Quote:
the donut gasket is gone
There's no donut gasket on a Slant-6. A donut gasket goes into a ball-and-socket type exhaust manifold outlet, and allows the engine to pivot relative to the headpipe. No such setup was ever built into a Slant-6, it's not found on any aftermarket manifold (maybe on some headers?), and it's not something that might be added later by an exhaust shop or anything like that. This is a donut gasket:

Attachment:
Doughnut-Gasket.jpg
Doughnut-Gasket.jpg [ 173.05 KiB | Viewed 348 times ]

I guess you mean the exhaust manifold outlet to headpipe gasket. That's a pipe flange gasket, like this:

Attachment:
Pipeflange_Gasket.jpg
Pipeflange_Gasket.jpg [ 20.88 KiB | Viewed 348 times ]

If that gasket is shot, replace it. That doesn't necessitate any other repair.

Quote:
I thought with that old of a motor if I'm going to pull the manifold in the intake I might as well replace head gasket while I have manifold exhaust off
This logic is not sound.

Quote:
I'm going to replace timing chain and gears lean burn conversion.
All good ideas.

Quote:
I am replacing 0ne barrel carter I am using trans adapter for 2 barrel

Those adapters make a bunch of problems and spoil the advantage of the 2bbl carburetor. Do the job correctly; use a 2bbl intake or make your own; parallel 2bbl setup article. Photo documentation of a very well done such conversion is here, and there's a nice pictorial on modifying a 1bbl intake here.

Last edited by SlantSixDan on Sun Dec 17, 2023 9:16 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2023 12:48 pm 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

The exhaust and intake gasket is bad you can fill the air and see carbon come from the exhaust that's why I know that nature new gasket the other gasket is down for at least the bottom of the manifold I'm 71 years old we have always called that a donut Gasket and why if I had the manifold is exhaust to go through the trouble of getting those bolts and everything off of there why would I want to go back later on and do that again I'm right there at the head why would I not just go ahead and pull the head and put a new gasket on it while I'm there this truck has unknown mileage I do agree what you said about the trans adapter and the two barrel I always assume the transit after that you're still only going to have a one barrel intake on my philosophy is I have rebuilt 62 Impala 68 Corvette of 57 Chevrolet truck mini cars in my life if I'm going through the problems to take an engine apart of doing anything with it for the price of parts I might as well go ahead and exchange the parts while I'm there I would never do this on a car where the parts cost a lot of money that would be ridiculous

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2023 12:50 pm 

Car Model:
Quote:
I'm not sure the exhaust intake gasket is shot. The exhaust and intake gasket is bad.

'K, then!

:roll: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2023 10:58 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
If you are going to pull the cylinder head.
Consider having the head milled while it is off to get the compression to 8.5 to 1
About every stock slant will benefit from a compression boost.
All of the aftermarket replacement head gaskets are thicker than the OE head gasket, consider that when calculating how much to cut the head.
When the head is off would also be an excellent time to replace the valve guide seals and have the valve seats re surfaced.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2023 4:56 am 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Thank you so much for that info. Ron I am going to replace the carburetor do you suggest a Carter one barrel or Holly one barrel and if so which models would those be

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2023 10:27 am 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Believe me slant six Dan how well I know.i have been using forums for years. I use it for a start,then I research. I have had people tell me there was no one barrel intake on an 83 slant 6 Dodge says they made a one barrel and two barrel for 1983 and 1984 I have asked over and over what would be a good car to use after the lean burn conversion I had resolved for a holly or Carter. I have found two 1983 slant sixes that have a Carter yf1 barrel carburetor on them. What do you think dan?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2023 6:51 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 80 volare, 78 fury 2 dr, 85 D150
I've thought about using a Carter YF on mine even though it wouldn't have been "stock".
I've seen that carb in /6 engines before in industrial applications. Things like tree chippers and such. Before I put the super 6 setup on mine I was gonna go to the junkyard and find a Carter yf from a 300 cid Ford. That was mostly what I saw those carbs used on. Not saying it wouldn't work, but around here it definitely wouldn't have come that way.
On the "donut"gasket, just like all body filler is "Bondo" every single/6 I have seen had a flat flange, not a flared out seat used with an actual "donut" style gasket. And even on small blocks where Dodge dis use the flared out junction, the "donut" was cast as part of those manifolds, the "donut type" exhaust gasket has always been a "Chevy thing".

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2023 2:36 am 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

If someone could tell me how to upload a photo to this forum I could show you the donut gasket on the car

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2023 2:47 am 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Can anyone tell me for sure no guessing. If you do not know for sure please do not answer if you know for sure what carburetor came on that car please contact me what one barrel carburetor came on a 1983 Dodge d150 with a slant 6 and a one barrel Aluminum Intake

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2023 2:58 am 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

I am so sorry what I really need to know is what is the best one barrel carburetor I can use after I do a lean burn conversion. I am asking what carburetor came originally on that car I am afraid I asked that question in the wrong way what carburetor should I go with after the lane burn conversion so sorry for the confusion