Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 2:15 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: Building my Headers
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 7:07 am 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model: Plymouth fury 61
Good day !

Since I'm from Europe, and rather build as spend way to much cash (and especially to the import Tax) I'm building custom headers /system )with a mate.

It's going to be a 6-2-1 setup with fairly Shorty "honda" style-primaries , but my big question comes from the Secondaries.
Pete hagebuch said:"
Quote:
I wanted in the worst kind of way to have a twin exhaust system because, man, will that do wonders for a six. You put one, two and three, and four, five and six together and you run ‘em down about 6 or 8 feet and bring them together in one tailpipe and you've added great huge gobs of output.

Now 6 to 8 feet of Secondaries is really long and it'll be really close to my rear axle .

Is it worth the hassle? Or should I just keep them 2ft ish?

Kind regards from Enrico in the Netherlands

Post subject: Re: Building my Headers
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:18 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model: 68 Valiant
With short primaries I would not expect the long secondaries to be of much value.

Look at a pair of Clifford shorties with the old Y pipe they sold. It looked horrible from a performance standpoint but worked pretty good and was easier to fit in the car.

That would be what I would shoot for.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 5:11 pm 
Triple Duece Weber

Car Model: 1972 Dodge Colt
Enrico wrote:
Good day !

Since I'm from Europe, and rather build as spend way to much cash (and especially to the import Tax) I'm building custom headers /system )with a mate.

It's going to be a 6-2-1 setup with fairly Shorty "honda" style-primaries , but my big question comes from the Secondaries.
Quote:
I wanted in the worst kind of way to have a twin exhaust system because, man, will that do wonders for a six. You put one, two and three, and four, five and six together and you run ‘em down about 6 or 8 feet and bring them together in one tailpipe and you've added great huge gobs of output.

Now 6 to 8 feet of Secondaries is really long and it'll be really close to my rear axle .

Read this thread in addition to what you are thinking about doing.
It's on FABO, Slant Six forum.

https://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/th ... 1974647364

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:23 am 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

hyper_pak wrote:
Enrico wrote:
Good day !

Quote:

Read this thread in addition to what you are thinking about doing.
It's on FABO, Slant Six forum.

https://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/th ... 1974647364

Now this is also interesting especially those pics. We where thinking of merging it just before the muffler thus in front the rear axle (and it being a 61 fury it's a fair distance). I also know BMW straight 6es have a long dual system merging together.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 12:28 am 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

So the plan is to make the secondairies 7ft ish. Why?
Jag,BMW,Mercedes & toyota also all did this..Pete must have had right.

The primairies are going to be 15ish inches...enough to stop reversion. And the end pipe 60mm (a tiny tad over 2.25") I'm really curious how this system wil sound & act out :)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 3:13 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
That sounds like a good idea. I ran 2" duals to the rear axle on my first iteration of my 64 Dart (250 HP) and it did seem to make better low and midrange power than later exhaust systems. This is with Clifford Shorty headers. I have said make the secondary pipe go to a Y that is 6-12" behind the trans X-member, but perhaps longer is better. This was on advice from Tilley. There are probably many geometries that work well, and yours is likely a good one. You will not gain top end power, but the available power at lower revs should be better.

What induction/carburetion will you use?

Lou

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 1:13 pm 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Dart270 wrote:
That sounds like a good idea. I ran 2" duals to the rear axle on my first iteration of my 64 Dart (250 HP) and it did seem to make better low and midrange power than later exhaust systems. This is with Clifford Shorty headers. I have said make the secondary pipe go to a Y that is 6-12" behind the trans X-member, but perhaps longer is better. This was on advice from Tilley. There are probably many geometries that work well, and yours is likely a good one. You will not gain top end power, but the available power at lower revs should be better.

What induction/carburetion will you use?

Lou

The primary lengths are 16-20" approximately. So long enough to get rid of reversion.

I'm using 2x1 Bbls (running on Propane).
Its in a 61 fury-Auto so a fairly heavy full sized Cruiser.

I still am also working on a 72 head (I cleaned it up need to get .100 off and backface the valves) as the next step..and the last step will be a Cam.

It's just a true low-mid rpm cruiser and it won't be racing..so this seems the best!
If I made it for power I'd made it 6 into 1 though!