Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Mon Jul 01, 2024 4:08 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: turbo carb
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:14 pm 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model:
Gathering parts for a turbo setup for a 225. Looking for a max of 300 but 250 would be fine. I will need to sneak up on my hp goals.
To start i am planning on using a carb and limiting boost to 8-10 psi. I am planning on getting a innercooler.
Anyway, I have a choice between a stock carb (73) or a 2bbl (factory Holley) off a 77 360. I have an aluminum intake for the 2 bbl.
Which would be easier to mod for blowthru?
Any links or advice on how to mod the carb? Could I use the "hanger18" mods on the factory 2 bbl holley?
If neither of these carbs are suitable, what do you suggest?
Lee

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:36 pm 
Site Admin

Car Model: 2023 Eichman Digger?
Well, nobody seems to be touching this one...

Go up to http://www.turbomustangs.com/

It's not just for mustangs. Read everything, and use the search function a lot. Don't post up there until you have read everything three times, and searched all the carb stuff. They will make you bleed if you pop off too early. They aren't mean, but they don't like to repeat themselves.

All things being equal? What carb? I'd go with a Holley 2300 two barrel on an aftermarket aluminum intake. While you could mess with the OEM 2bbl's, I think it's going to be a waste of your time.

250 to 300 hp at the crank sounds real. Your inter-cooler will be good. Is it appropriate to the vehicle? I have a really nice inter-cooler that won't mount anyplace on my A-body.

What have you landed on for a turbo? Trim and all that? What have you based your flows on? We've got some turbo guys on here that are getting great results. Study what they've done, and you'll likely do fine. Sounds like your keeping the boost within reason!

:D

CJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:06 pm 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model:
Thanks for the tip. I have been a member there for over 2 years, kinda like here. I read a lot and ask few questions.
This is a super low buck project.... basically to get my feet wet and learn (and hopefully apply) .
Anyway I am slightly hesitant to list my project because of the low buck route.
I realize this may not be the best combination and I am prepared that it may not even work. But I am willing to try it because I have the parts on hand.
The vehicle is a 1/2 ton pickup (so I have plenty of room for the duramax innercooler) and the turbo is a GM3 off a 6.5 diesel.
I have adapted the factory turbo outlet from the diesel to the exhaust manifold and mounted the turbo.
If I have to spend much on the carb I will go megasquirt as I am wanting to learn that also. But will at least try to mod the holley I have.
I am ordering a JAW wideband to monitor with.
I hope this does not get read as "ask a question" but then "do what I want anyway". I don't mean it that way, just I have certain constraints on this project and need information, but can't do all suggestions.
Lee

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:31 am 
Site Admin

Car Model: 2023 Eichman Digger?
Not a problem!

The only reason for considering the more main stream carburetors is the power valve, bleeds and pump shot are a bit harder to deal with than the mainstream "Universal" carbs like the 2300 and 4150 series Holleys.

Anything can be made to work. Fortunately, the Holley 1bbl offerings use the same jets. When it comes to bleeds and so forth, your going to be in fabrication mode.

There are a lot of low buck builds running around delivering great results, and I understand the need to watch the bank.
My projects may go on hold here again. The "new" job is absolutely miserable, so I'm looking at dropping notice and getting out of here. It's not worth my health, and it follows me home, impacting my wife. We can't have that.

Keep us posted on your build! Sounds fun! :D

CJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:57 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
Goodluck on the build. Can't help you with 1bbl / 2bbl carb selection but I did run a 11.48 et w/ just 285 cfm. It was the primary side of a Demon BT 4bbl. I'll be interested to see what carb you run since I'm gathering parts for a turbo D150. Later
Ryan

http://www.youtube.com/c/turbo66valiant
Follow on Instagram - turbo66valiant
Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/ryan.peterson.737