Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:32 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:27 pm 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model:
Ok so I've always wanted to have a hillborn styled carb scoop on my car. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mrg-6658/overview/ Its one of the most iconic peices of aftermarket upgrades when someone thinks about muscle cars and hot rods and its really the one thing that got me into American Muscle, mopar specifically, as a kid.

I have a 225 slant six in my 74 dart sport (same body as a duster or demon) and I really want to put a carb scoop on it but because of the offset position of the intake manifold it won't sit centered in the engine bay its gonna be like 7 or so inches offset towards the driver side. Is there any way I can make this work? Are there any intake manifold manufacturers out there that make shorter intake manifolds than what is stock?

I saw this online
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ofy-5497/overview/ but its 13.5" long which will have the same end result as just setting it on the stock intake but instead it will be sitting too far to the passenger side but I thought I might be able to have it shortened in length at a fab shop probably by 4". I'd have to buy it and size it up first then have them cut out the excess in the middle, weld the two halves back together and ground the welds smooth and use it as a plenum of sorts to center the carb. Any suggestions?

Does anyone on here know of anyone who makes plenums or adapters for 4bbl carbs to center the carb in the middle of the engine? This would also come in handy at some point sense I'd really like to eventually throw on a roots styled blower/supercharger. If anyone has any info about how to set one of those up on a slant six that would also be much appreciated :) Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:35 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model: Toad Wagon
It's 13.5" LOA, CL to CL measures out at 7.625" (scaling the picture), about what you're asking for.

Why would you want a slant car to look like a bent eight?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:34 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
If I ever build up the courage to cut a hole in my hood, I'm planning to put the scoop directly over the carb, which would leave it offset to the driver's side. On the other hand, my car is already a modern art masterpiece, so your taste may vary.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:57 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
You're talking about a lot of effort just to center your fancy air cleaner in the hood. Kinda reminds me of the guys who want to know how to make their slant sound like a V-8.

In both cases, a V-8 swap might be easier. Either way, good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:26 pm 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model:
haha yeah I don't really care about the sound too much, v8s sound like v8's and a six banger is never going to sound like one nor visa-versa but a engine swap is out of the budget right now. Since I'm a college student working 2 full time jobs barley making ends meet as it is. If I could I'd totally swap for 360 or maybe even a 340 lol I'd even settle for a 318 but this is what I have to work with for now. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:15 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model:
SirSlaughter357 wrote:
Since I'm a college student working 2 full time jobs barley making ends meet as it is. If I could I'd totally swap for 360 or maybe even a 340 lol I'd even settle for a 318 but this is what I have to work with for now. :)

If that is the case, why waste money on parts that will do nothing to improve the performance, or reliabily of the car? The parts you are looking at could even detract from the performance.

Please don't take this post the wrong way. I am just suggesting, that as long as money is tight, you use it wisely.

64 Valiant Signet
64 Valiant 4dr 170

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:29 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
I suggest if you want the sound of a v8 you may get a good audio system in your car and a good recording of a v8 engine. Then play it loud with the volume on 11.

Greg