Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:21 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous 15 6 7 8 9 Next
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:18 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model: 68 Valiant
The Twin 10s in May rained out and were put on last weekend (July 1, 2, & 3) I asked my cousin Chad if he would like to drive. We used to race together 30 years ago and he hadn't been down a track in 25. Friday was T&T day so I figured we could get him broke in. :D

Got to the track at noon Friday and it's sprinkling. Chad shows up about 1 on his Harley and is soaked. He came from the west, so rain on the way. At 3 it clears off and they start drying the track. They call cars to staging at 3:45, but it starts raining again. They called it at 4:30. Left the car there and headed home. Called my buddy Keith Long and met him for dinner and bench racing on the way home.

Saturday I get there at 9. Right slick is down on the car. I just got a DeWalt 20V inflator so I give it a shot. Set it and it shuts itself off. I checked it with my good gauge and it was dead on. Chad shows up around 9:30. Only ran into rain once. So far, so good. We prep the car and wait. I am in BOX Red, he's in NO BOX Blue. We get one time run each, and he's never sat in my car or used a transbrake. :lol:

I make my shot. -.013 red and 8.61. :oops:

One thing I have been telling Chad is that my Griner brake uses the button for reverse. He goes up and picks the left lane. He cuts it too wide and has to back up. He forgets about the button and fortunately the track crew pushes him back and gets him straightened out. He gets staged and when he lets go of the button the car stumbles. I know instantly his foot wasn't on the floor. Car goes 8.89. I am happy. He made it back to the trailer with all the rods inside and the paint still on. I go over how the brake and 2 step work once again. :lol:

First round I draw a Camaro dialed 5.40. Last time out my car went slow on the time run, then picked up in the first round so I dialed 8.48. We're both green, but the Camaro drives by about 50 feet from the stripe. She goes 5.4002, I was 8.61. Neither of us were stellar on the tree.

I tell Chad we need to dial the car around 8.60. He decided he wants 8.77 since he doesn't believe he will pick up a whole lot. He gets a 6.20 Camaro. They do their burnouts and Chad goes in, lights both bulbs, and goes on the chip. Fortunately for my converter the other guy goes right in and the tree comes on. Both green, Chad lifts on the guy and breaks out, 8.67. Done for the day. I make sure to explain "Courtesy Staging" to him.

Sunday I get to the track and Chad is already there. We prep the car and warm it up. No time runs today, straight off the trailer. I draw a street roadster dialed 5.40. I dialed 8.61. Let go of the button and go red. Car runs 8.58.

Send Chad up dialed 8.57. He draws a Mustang dialed 6.28. He does good staging. Tree comes down and the car leaves good. -.010 red. Legs it out, 8.38. Now the car picks up. :roll:

Put Chad in the buyback round and he draws my buddy Frank Valencia in a 3rd Gen Firebird dialed 6.20. Again, staged well, both leave green. At the end Frank drives by, car slowed to an 8.43. Chad was dead late, .1022 but treed Frank who was .1026. :lol:

Loaded up a running car with all the paint still on it, got to spend a bunch of time with my cousin, saw a ton of friends, and raced. A great weekend indeed. :mrgreen:

The only downer of the weekend was I saw my buddy Larry there with his whole crew. He is the one who got me into racing 50 years ago. His wife told me his cancer has returned for the 3rd time. He starts treatment next week. :( :cry:

One side note, these events run the Box and No Box cars together when they get to 4 cars in each class. No Box cars won both days. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:28 am 
Triple Duece Weber

Car Model: 1972 Dodge Colt
Good deal Dennis!
Hope to see you in a month or so, stay safe!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 12:46 pm 

Thanks Stan! You're planning on Clay City, right?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 1:05 pm 
Triple Duece Weber

That would be a blast.
Only going to get one trip with the Colt, I have to pick the best one.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:13 pm 

I was in a position where I was going to choose between KD and Clay City. That got easy tonight when Dallas messaged me that due to low car counts and high fuel prices KD pulled the plug on the Inline race.

See ya in Clay City.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:51 pm 
Triple Duece Weber

Yea my problem is my brother was coming to Ft Worth around the 10th for the Mustang Makeover.
Not sure what to do now that the Inliner race is kaput.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:02 am 

Car Model:
Sounds like a fun weekend, Dennis! See you at Clay City. Bummer about KD...

Lou

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:01 pm 

Looking forward to it Lou.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:31 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Dennis, thanks for the well written wrap up, was a fun read.
Yesterday I marked the Clay City dates on the calendar.
Planning to be there.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 4:55 pm 

Awesomeness! Maybe we can caravan down.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:38 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
That would be great, let’s talk next week or so.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 10:55 am 

So yesterday kind of on the spur of the moment I decided to go to Charleston and race at Coles County. Haven't been there is 2 years, but after finding out my buddy is sick again I figured I may not get many more chances to race with him.

Main excitement on the way down was getting gas in Manteno for $4.36. It's $5.19 at home.

Got to the track, declared my class at the gate, and found my buddy and his gang. Got parked, got through tech, and waited for the call for my 1 and only time run. They had announced that the starting line beams had been replaced during the week, so I had no clue what to expect. I'm still experimenting with my Biondo button, but after 41 last week I went with a 200 lower chip in the 2-Step. Got staged up and let go of the button. Left real close to the other guy so I figured I was decent. Time car says .504 and 8.57@81. Other guy was .502. I dial the car at 8.57 and wait for the call.

I draw a guy in a Camaro dialed 6.51. I'm in the other lane this time and I think I missed the tree bad. At the other end his win light comes on. Tale of the timeslip? He was .540 and 6.519, I was .542 and 8.589. Close but no cigar. I drove the car straight up on the trailer and spent the rest of the day hanging out with my friends.

Trip home was uneventful until the gas light came on in my truck at Kankakee. I figured that would be a good time to head back into Manteno only to find the gas station out of gas. Fortunately there was another station a block away that was at $4.46, so all was not lost. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 3:16 pm 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model: More cars than sense...
Fun!! :mrgreen:

I’m Mater
The Kentucky Poser

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 5:19 am 

Car Model:
Way to seize the day, Dennis. Sounds like you are finding the tree/slips with the car a bit better and having fun!

Lou

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:48 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Good Deal, Dennis.

Keep having fun.

Greg

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous 15 6 7 8 9 Next