Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:10 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: Keeping it oiled
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:06 am 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
So how much "splash" oiling is really needed to keep the pistons, cam, lifters and other non-pressurized components "oiled"? When I first assembled my engine, I created a baffle that totally separates the oil in the pan from the crank shaft. So the crank can't dip into the oil and "splash" it around. It also has the usual baffles to keep the oil in the sump.

The reason that i ask, was when I tore the engine down a few years ago. I was surprise at how "worn" it looked. The pistons were scuffed, the bores have no cross hatch and the cam had measurable lobe wear. It look liked it had been ran for a "million" miles. But the pressurized components had normal wear and tear.

Post subject: Re: Keeping it oiled
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 12:10 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: Fiat 500e
This is an interesting question. The number one and number two things I think of when it comes to cylinder bore wear are fuel wash and air filtration. A bad carburetor or an unheated intake manifold will send enough liquid fuel into the cylinders to wash off the oil leading to excessive wear and piston scuffing. Abrasive wear from poor air filtration seems less likely to scuff pistons and more likely to also cause wear in other places. Having said that I'm curious to know about your induction system. Oil analysis will show fuel dilution and excessive iron if fuel wash is present.

Oil splash from the connecting rod bearings should be enough to lubricate the cylinder walls. I have recommended against a crank scraper for street use due to concern for the cam and lifters, but I would defer to folks with direct experience.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:22 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
The lube for the cam and lifters comes from the oil exiting the rocker arms and flowing across the top of the cylinder head to the lifter chamber on the side of the block as well as the oil exiting the cam bearings. Unless you did something really special with the baffle you made, the big ends of the rods are on the same side of the tray as the cylinder bores. The crank does not really ‘dip ‘ into the oil pan to make splash. It is the oil exiting the plain bearings that whips around and lubes the cylinder bore and piston pins. I agree with Josh on this, look into oil dilution or oil contamination.
I have a windage tray in the slant in the 83 D150. Last winter I did a cam shaft change and pulled the cylinder head for some porting improvements.
The cam shaft that was removed was fine, the cylinder bores looked great. This was a slant that had 45,000 miles on it since it was rebuilt.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 2:23 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
It was using a standard Clifford 4v intake with a Edelbrock 500AVS. The intake was water heated. The #6 rod diffidently hits oil with a 1978 oil pan and 5 quarts of oil. Here is a link to the pan construction: http://www.kesteb.us/dart/albums/oilpan

I never noticed any smell of gas in the oil when changing it. This engine lasted 6 years of daily driving and numerous passes at the strip. It is just strange. It ultimately succumbed to a failed oil pump gear.

Which lead to this question. A major fix to failed oil pump gears is additional lubrication.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:22 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 80 volare, 78 fury 2 dr, 85 D150
Though I have owned a few slants over the years and currently am back in the slant game, one thing that makes a 1st start-up a little bit more worrisome, (for me anyway) because unlike a V8, I can't run the oil pump with my drill to prelube everything and make sure it's gonna accept prime right off the bat.... and with the oil filter that mounts upside down, it's almost impossible to prefill before screwing it onto the engine.

And I don't have a prelube tank, that I can screw into the oil sending unit hole. I do pack the pump with Vaseline on any engine that I open up, that has an oil pump,/and hope for the best. So far that has worked for me.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 2:46 pm 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model: 68 Valiant
How long did it run after the gear failed?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 4:09 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Less then a minute. I heard a "noise", the idiot light came on and the oil pressure gauge was at zero. So I turned the car off and costed to the edge of the highway.

And called for help. Which leads to an interesting story on GEICO's road side assistance.