Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:08 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: Decent Dial Boore gauge?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:10 pm 
Board Sponsor & SL6 Racer

Car Model: 65 Valiant 2Dr Post
Is there a decent dial bore gauge out there for checking bearing clearances? Don't want to spend tons of money for something I'll use 2 times a year. I also don't want something that is total junk. So if you have a recommendation please let me know. Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:26 pm 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model:
I have and like the Mitotoyo unit, but the price is probably more then you want to spend.
This one looks identical to the Mitotoyo. I can't say if it is as good a quality, but a lot more affordable.
https://www.amazon.com/Fowler-72-646-30 ... 4204&psc=1
Just noticed the Fowler does not have as good a resolution as the Mitotoyo which is .0001

64 Valiant Signet
64 Valiant 4dr 170

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:32 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 64 Plymouth Valiant
I'm not quite sure what they call it, but there's the 2-step method.

You have a dial bore gauge that doesn't have a gauge. You but it in the bore, lock it up, then measure with your dial caliper.

8)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:08 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Quote:

It's called old School... that's the method I learned and still use... you install the bearings and torque the
caps to spec. You insert an inside gauge to measure the diameter, you then use a micrometer
to measure the inside gauge.... repeat at 80-90 degrees from previous location and compare
for roundness... compare to mic'd crank journal and get your clearance (then compare to
engine specs in manual and proceed from there...)

My instructor said you should only use the dial bore gauge to check the taper of the cylinder
bore to make sure the bore is round and tapers properly from top to bottom....(I only started
doing it when the compression went over 10:1...) I have seen guys use one to check bearings,
but there's a wide range of opinion on accuracy over the old way to do it. :roll:

Last edited by DusterIdiot on Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:18 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
I can definitely measure inside diameters much more accurately with my bore gauge than I can with snap gauges.

Spring for the kit with the 0.0001" dial gauge. You'll be glad you did.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:41 pm 

Charlie, that one would probably still be better than the plastigage I have been using? :D :D

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:12 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 64 Plymouth Valiant
https://www.harborfreight.com/6-piece-t ... PcQAvD_BwE

8)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:53 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model:
Rick, If you are going to build a few/several real good motors, spring for the good Mitotoyo gauge, if you can afford it. If just an occasional motor just trust your machinest.
I have some real good measuring equipment, but I got it when I worked as a tool and die maker. I was really shocked, at the price of the Mitotoyo gauge.
But then, again, $300 for a used super six intake, and kickdown linkage is crazy also (in my opinion).

64 Valiant Signet
64 Valiant 4dr 170

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:59 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model:
DusterIdiot wrote:
Quote:

It's called old School... that's the method I learned and still use... you install the bearings and torque the
caps to spec. You insert an inside gauge to measure the diameter, you then use a micrometer
to measure the inside gauge.... repeat at 80-90 degrees from previous location and compare
for roundness... compare to mic'd crank journal and get your clearance (then compare to
engine specs in manual and proceed from there...)

My instructor said you should only use the dial bore gauge to check the taper of the cylinder
bore to make sure the bore is round and tapers properly from top to bottom....(I only started
doing it when the compression went over 10:1...) I have seen guys use one to check bearings,
but there's a wide range of opinion on accuracy over the old way to do it. :roll:

Snap gauges are OK, but not near as accurate as a dial bore gauge. Did you ever see a machinest use snap gauges to measure the big end bore when recondidioning con rods?

64 Valiant Signet
64 Valiant 4dr 170

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:29 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
In my limited experience the T gauges are fussy and tend to lead to errors.. on my part... because you measure the ID of the Bearings, then you have to transfer that measurement to another caliper.
I am sure they can be accurate with good quality tools and a well trained operator with competent daily experience using such methods.

The bore gauge would be more foolproof in my opinion.

I have to check and see what I have Rick, to see if I can provide any recommendations (if any)

Greg

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:59 am 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
One way you might be able to economize obtaining a bore gauge would be to buy the inexpensive kit and then shop eBay for a good used 0.0001" dial indicator to replace the cheap 0.001" gauge that comes in the cheap kit. I've got 3 or 4 different bore gauges and I think the inexpensive kits work just fine as long as they are paired with a good dial indicator.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:34 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
I have a Shars 303-4721 Dial Bore Gauge. With the selection of anvils and shims included it can cover a range of diameters.
The housing is sturdy enough, the gauge and the mechanicals have held up fine, but it does not get much use. I have built three slants and probably measured two others.
You do know that you will need a micrometer that is close to the size of the bore that you are measuring to set the dial Bore gauge up. That set up process also gives you practice on knowing what dial sweep is the correct measurement.
Note on the packaging they care enough about the dial that it is packed in a shock resistant case.

here is an example from e bay
https://www.ebay.com/itm/330880385983?_ ... lgv%3DDefa

back when I was buying my garage gauges I ended up buying the Shars dial bore and micrometer sets. Shars was cheap enough that I could justify the expense vs use equation and they also have replacement parts and upgrades like electronic indicators available so you are not buying a one off gauge that can never be serviced.

Attachments:
Dial Bore Gauge.jpg
Dial Bore Gauge.jpg [ 109.68 KiB | Viewed 2047 times ]
Dial Bore Shars.jpg
Dial Bore Shars.jpg [ 95.38 KiB | Viewed 2047 times ]
Dial Bore Instructions.jpg
Dial Bore Instructions.jpg [ 86.97 KiB | Viewed 2047 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:10 am 

I already have a decent set of mics.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:36 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Good Tips Procycyle.. thanks,

I have one like John Posed up but I am not sure if it is branded or not. It has the same case and anvils - But the actual bore gauge is probably some offshore not mitutoyo unit.

Greg

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:05 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model: 64 Valiant
Mitotoyo is good stuff. Stay away from digital readouts on calipers and other measuring gauges. If we get caught using them at work on production parts, we get a 3 day unpaid vacation. That's how accurate they are....Not! You can often find good deals on Ebay for Starett mics and good brand name tools. When I worked in the race shop, we often had hobby engine builders bring their mics in so we could zero their mics to our standards. So you may consider doing that with the shop you use and see if they'll do that for you. We also had many other guys come in after they picked up a crank and brought it back because they mic'd it and thought they were getting clearance issues. When in fact their mics weren't correctly calibrated, and sometimes they simply didn't know how to use the mics and dial bore gauge together.