Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:49 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:47 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Dan, I dropped the original pan in my 62 and am in the middle of replacing it with the newer style pan and filter combination. I'm not sure what I expected to see when I dropped the pan, maybe a tag that says "Put filter here" or something as obvious as that. Where does the new filter plug in? Does anything have to come off to do the installation? Inquiring minds want to know.
I would be lost with out you guys.
Thanks.
Joe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:54 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
You will find a metal-framed fine-mesh screen held to the underside of the valve body by three screws. Remove it and its gasket, and use those screws to secure the new 2-hole filter in its place.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:37 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Dan, Thank you. That looked like a likely spot but I didn't want to just start removing screws and see what fit where.
You get the big gold star on your forehead for helping uninformed folk find the way.
Thanks again. I'll have the old girl on the road yet.
Joe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:50 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Dan, I just wanted you to know the install went just as planned. The big hole/little hole all line up with the filter and all the screws fit just like they're supposed to. It's all back together with the new Mopar pan gasket, no leaks. I'm a happy man. I was going to name my next born after you but no one wants to go through life being called Slant Six.
Thank you very much. I'm sure I'm not the first and will not the last you've walked through this and many more operations like it.
Joe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:56 am 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model:
would like to point out. i brought the PN for the tranny pan to a dodge dealer and they said it was no good...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:59 pm 

Car Model:
You got a (very) lazy parts man who didn't bother to read his computer screen carefully. The 52118 779AB has been superseded to 52118 779AD, that's all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:48 pm 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model:
Just a update and FYI. I was searching for some other parts and found a limited source of the early inline filters. Just in case someone is trying to look original.
http://www.fatsco.net/store.html#!/Tran ... y=18246063

64 Valiant Signet
64 Valiant 4dr 170

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:24 pm 

Car Model:
Nifty find, but fitty bucks for a transmission filter that'll have to be spray-painted (black) before it'll look original, yowza! :shock:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:30 pm 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model: 1963 Valiant Convert
Just installed this on my '63 Valiant. That new transmission pan is quite the washtub. It feels a little odd to have 1-1/2 gallons of extra Dexron VI sloshing away in there. That stuffs' not so cheap! Anyway, my pan needed a bit of adjustment in one spot with my grinder to clear a protrusion on the cable shifter housing. it looked like it might be possible to loosen and reposition it slightly, but I decided not to bmess with something that's been in place for nearly sixty years when a 1/2 inch long grind into the out lip by 1/8" would do. I noticed that my original, without a drain plug, but quite shallow with no depression, had a contour that avoided the protrusion.
Just thought I'd post here in case any one else had this problem.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 12:34 pm 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model: Dart GT
Pulling up an old thread here. I've already done some of this work on my 63 Dart GT.

I bought the Mopar pan, doesn't sound like that was recommended but it's installed with the new filter. I did use the spacer. Had a horrible leak when I got the car, no leaks now so happy. The trans did have the old style strainer so I'm assuming the car still has its original transmission or at least if replaced it was an early one. The slant six is from a later year, 68-75, but not sure if that matters with the transmission cooler lines. Here's what I installed.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CRD51QL/

Sounds like by having this set up I can now ditch the inline filter. Rather than cut it out and replace the gap with rubber hose I would rather install new lines. Would one of these fit? If not what do I need?

https://www.classicindustries.com/produ ... 3450s.html

https://www.classicindustries.com/produ ... 3453m.html

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 2:17 pm 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model:
If you used that kit, with the spacer and filter, you will have a problem. The 60-65 trans had a rear pump. the filter has two fluid holes. one for the front pump, and one for the rear pump. That filter and spacer only have one hole. You will starve the rear pump.

64 Valiant Signet
64 Valiant 4dr 170

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 3:17 pm 
1 BBL (New)

Charrlie_S wrote:
If you used that kit, with the spacer and filter, you will have a problem. The 60-65 trans had a rear pump. the filter has two fluid holes. one for the front pump, and one for the rear pump. That filter and spacer only have one hole. You will starve the rear pump.

Yes, that is the kit I installed. I do still have the pan and strainer that I took off the car. I haven't driven the car since the pan and filter swap. What needs to be done? Based on the information in this thread it seemed fine to use the deep pan and new filter, and then get rid of the inline filter. I had a bad leak so needed to drop the pan anyway, so just bought the new pan and used the filter that came with it. Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 3:42 pm 
1 BBL (New)

Charrlie_S wrote:

I think I answered my own question. I just need to pull off that filter and install one with two openings, like the Wix 58656. No need for the spacer? I can remove that while I'm in there. Once that's done, back to my original question on the transmission lines to use.

Thanks for the help!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 10:23 am 

Car Model:
Yep, use the correct 2-hole filter; no spacer needed.

Fluid lines to/from cooler; see here