Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Sat Jun 29, 2024 1:44 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:02 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Hey guys, I got a stock 904 Torque Flite sitting behind my 225. I was wondering, is it ok to shift the car as though it is a manual? Most transmissions can't handle it with out a manual valve body but it is a Torque Flite so I figured it could handle it with an automatic valve body.

So, good? bad? what's the verdict?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:15 pm 
SSRN National Champion

Car Model:
You can shift it if you want but why. On the street the trans will do better for gas econony in drive and let it shift auto. At the strip you could pick up some time shifting your self with pratcice. Thanks Ron Parker

It Aint Over Until I Win

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:15 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Is your kickdown linkage installed and properly working?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:19 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 76 D100
Cops are trained in cops pursuit driving school to drive like you suggest- start with the tranny in "1", manually shift to "2", then manually shift to "D". THis helps with aggressive acceleration in a non-race modified transmission (I.E. one already converted to a full manual valve body), but that's it. I can't see any advantage to driving this way in a daily driver.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:24 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Kickdown linkage is fine, and I do fully understand the fuel economy thing. I just have more fun shifting myself 8) . Someday I'd like to get an OD 833 but that will be awhile. I just needed to know if the internals could handle it. Thanks guys :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:25 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: Fiat 500e
SlantSixDan wrote:
Is your kickdown linkage installed and properly working?

I think Dan is driving at the fact that little is to be gained by shifting manually if the transmission throttle pressure linkage is in order. I've found the stock slant six and stock A904 to be very well matched.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:27 pm 

Car Model:
Reed wrote:
Cops are trained in cops pursuit driving school to drive like you suggest- start with the tranny in "1",

Tough to do when many cop cars have "1" permanently locked out. ;-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:28 pm 

Car Model:
Joshua Skinner wrote:
I think Dan is driving at the fact that little is to be gained by shifting manually if the transmission throttle pressure linkage is in order.

That's true, but what I was actually getting at was that if the kickdown linkage is missing or too short, even manually shifting the trans won't stop the resultant damage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:42 pm 
Guru

Car Model:
With everything in correct adjustment, most 68 and newer SL6 / 904 trans set-ups are pretty "smart" as far as being in the "right" gear at any given combo of speed and throttle. (the "part throttle kickdown" feature at work)

I will find myself manually shifting a 904 at times, usually for a downhill "downshift" to control speed... with-out heating the brakes or when I am stuck in slow, stop/go traffic, where I do not want a light load up-shift. (a "klunk" shift)

A trans wears-out a little bit, every time it shifts, automatically or manually. If you add a few more shifts... by your manual shift preferences or habits, then technically, it will wear-out a little sooner but with hundreds of thousands of lifetime "shifts" at your disposal, I would not worry about it.
DD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:51 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 76 D100
SlantSixDan wrote:
Reed wrote:
Cops are trained in cops pursuit driving school to drive like you suggest- start with the tranny in "1",

Tough to do when many cop cars have "1" permanently locked out. ;-)

I'm just going by what I have read cops testify to on cross examination. :shrug: According to the Kitsap County cops, the Crown Vics the Kitsap County Sheriff's use top out at 120 MPH through some kind of governor on the motor. I guess that's why we use small airplanes to catch speeders in WA.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:58 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Thaks for the great inpute guys. In regards to what Dan was asking, the kickdown linkage works fine and I've seen the result of trying to not use a kickdown linkage hehe :wink: . Once again, shifting manually would mostly be for fun, not because I feel it shifts at the wrong time or anything. I just prefer a manual, and unfortunatley I have yet the means to have a manual.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:25 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model: More cars than sense...
That's what I did most of the time with my '67 Dart GT with a 273/904 in high school. I liked shifting myself too. :wink: I drove that car very, very hard with substandard maintenance procedures for three years and it was still shifting just fine when I parked it and left for the Army.

**Note - I do not recommend driving your car very, very hard with substandard maintenance procedures for three years! :shock: I was young and dumb... Now I'm old and dumb. :D

I’m Mater
The Kentucky Poser

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:25 pm 
SSRN National Champion

Car Model:
But Rob you are a great American that supercedes anything in the past.
God Speed Rob :D

It Aint Over Until I Win

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:44 pm 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model: More cars than sense...
So then can I still shift manually? 'Cuz I still like doing that! :D I'll service the tranny better than back then, I promise! :lol: )

BTW Dartman: Sweet lookin' Dart! I don't have my '67 GT anymore, but I do have a pretty nice '72 Swinger (That I do plan to manually shift fairly often when I get back :wink: )

I’m Mater
The Kentucky Poser

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:18 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Rob Simmons wrote:
So then can I still shift manually? 'Cuz I still like doing that! :D I'll service the tranny better than back then, I promise! :lol: )

BTW Dartman: Sweet lookin' Dart! I don't have my '67 GT anymore, but I do have a pretty nice '72 Swinger (That I do plan to manually shift fairly often when I get back :wink: )

Thanks, I got big plans. But I got to get the $$$!

I've put in almost 15 different job applications and not even one phone call.