Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 11:05 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:37 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
I've got an early 8.25" with axles that measure 27-7/8" (maybe 28" even) from outside edge of the flange to tip of the c-clip button. Looking around I can't seem to find any replacement axles, everything close is for various Jeep 8.25". Does this axle length seem reasonable? Am I measuring incorrectly? Is the axle really 27-7/8" (shortest 8.25" axle I could find on Yukon Gear's site)?

I also looked around for some custom axles but nobody advertises custom 8.25" axles and the places I emailed haven't responded. Does anyone have a source for these shorter axles? I've also got a 29-spline trac-lok sitting around so if anyone has a source for narrow 29-spline axles that would be amazing!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:06 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
The reason you can't find any replacement axles are...8.25" A-body rear end was only offered for a few years (model year 1973-1976), and mostly
only found in the Hipo V-8 and HD suspension options....so not as popular as say the 8 3/4"...(Other more plentiful models would be B body, C body and
Truck/Van... and FMJ). No other axles will work and the C-clip end makes it tough to cut down and machine these, and guarantee the end user's safety...

I attempted the same thing back in the mid-2000's and inquired to Moser and Strange about a set of axle shafts for my 1976 8.25" with 29 splines
for an Eaton TruTrac (they didn't make a trutrac in 27 spline)... The replies that came back were 2 fold: Send us one axle shaft so we can properly machine
it to those dimensions...the other was "What diff are you using? If it wasn't stock to that year rear, we need your rear end and new diff so we can put it together
to proper tolerances...)

Price for the "send us your sample axle shaft" with shipping and insurance back and forth bordered on buying an 8 3/4"...and was 3x the price on the
1973 4.56 sure grip rear I picked up locally through craigslist a few years later...

I would not be surprised if it took them a while to get to you as many manufacturing facilities are running 30-50% personnel for proper spacing and
Covid concerns...

Good Luck on your quest.

-D.Idiot

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:21 pm 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model: 68 Valiant
Look up Doctor Diff. If anyone will have axles he will.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:46 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
I originally got the 8.25" because it was quite a bit lighter than the 8.75" and plenty strong for what I needed (cheaper initially as well). However, the support hasn't been great and definitely fewer modifications happening (like 29-spline upgrades) which has me considering going the same route as DI.

I ended up calling Randy's Ring & Pinion and they have also encountered this issue but were able to point me to Dutchman Axle in Idaho. Going to go measure up my axles and inquire about shipping costs, I'll report back on my experience and fitment. They look fairly reasonable at $270 + freight (hopefully not too bad since it is just 1 state over) https://dutchmanaxles.com/custom-c-clip ... -1620.html

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:46 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 80 volare, 78 fury 2 dr, 85 D150
I know that Mopar changed spline count after 1996/before 1997 model year, I think that before version was 27, after version was 29. I ran into this when I had my square body Cherokees. The whole rear ends would swap over but when working on the rear end itself if you were needing an axle shaft or say, putting in a sure grip that's where it would bite you. I needed a rear end for my 01 and wound up with one out of an early 90's version, it went in no problem, fortunately I never had to do more than axle seals on the replacement.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:03 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Quote:
I needed a rear end for my 01 and wound up with one out of an early 90's version,

Quote:
I know that Mopar changed spline count after 1996/before 1997 model year,

You are correct. (Although Jeep typically used the Dana 40 rear with the Grand Cherokees using a mix of Dana and Chyco 8 1/4", FYI).

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:44 am 
Supercharged

Car Model: 80 volare, 78 fury 2 dr, 85 D150
yeah, never had a "Grand" Cherokee, just a couple of "regular" Cherokees/ one had the Dana 35(?) the other had the 8-1/4.

The one with the Dana had 10" brakes, I guess that was a "required option" thing You could get a Dana with either 9s or 10s, but the 8-1/4 could only be had with 9 inchers (on a Cherokee anyway) as I remember, from when chasing various parts along the years I had them. I have also had several 87-96 Dakotas, all but 1 coming to me with 8-1/4's in them..... and that one, was the only one I had with rear end trouble, came to me with a 7-1/4 but ended up with an 8-1/4.
the 7-1/4 had split the carrier, after I sold it to my brother in law..... never had that happen before, or since.
All of them but 1, came to me with 9' brakes, have had 1 with 10s...… (my current 96-----which is also the only 4wd of them----- but I have seen a few 2wd versions in my work, with 10s...) the Dakota 10s were the same as the A-B-F-M-J body 10s at 2-1/2" wide...…. the Cherokee 10s were like the older Ford and AMCs at only 2" wide... might help someone putting a car together, and playing "musical brakes"....

When I was looking for a better-than-a-7-1/4 for my Volare, at first I was having difficulty finding anything but more 7-1/4s.... and was looking hard at the ones in Cherokees as possible swap candidates, as the measurements were the closest to what an F body took -- a stock one, anyways.....