Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:11 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 156 posts ]  Go to page Previous 16 7 8 9 10 11 Next
PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:44 am 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model: Barracuda coupé 1970 170ci 3spd Manual (Export)
Hi, I was looking at this topic about Ram clutches, but I stayed in the background as the dual disc setup is a bit overkill for my build (and a bit steep as well)

I'm talking with Brewers Performance about this subject, and they seems to have single disc and diaphragm from Ram too. It's rated at 400hp
He also told me there is actually two part numbers for the 2 sizes of crank hub.

It's not registered in the online catalog yet but he's given me prices. I wait his answer to know if I can share this with you

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:45 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Vettefab wrote:
Hi, I was looking at this topic about Ram clutches, but I stayed in the background as the dual disc setup is a bit overkill for my build (and a bit steep as well)

I'm talking with Brewers Performance about this subject, and they seems to have single disc and diaphragm from Ram too. It's rated at 400hp
He also told me there is actually two part numbers for the 2 sizes of crank hub.

It's not registered in the online catalog yet but he's given me prices. I wait his answer to know if I can share this with you

Sounds Good, So this is a 1"x23 Spline disc and what Diameter?
What pressure plate does it use?
Will it bolt to a stock slant 6 flywheel?

Thanks much!

Greg

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:56 am 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model: Barracuda coupé 1970 170ci 3spd Manual (Export)
I have received the feedback from Dan Brewers.
Flywheel is unfortunately needed.
The contact surface needs to be .100" towards the transmission, so the mechanism fingers are in stock location. Maybe possible to use shims with a re-drilled stock flywheel?
and the bolt pattern is different :/

At Brewers the flywheel is $389 and the single clutch kit is $449

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:32 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Vettefab wrote:
I have received the feedback from Dan Brewers.
Flywheel is unfortunately needed.
The contact surface needs to be .100" towards the transmission, so the mechanism fingers are in stock location. Maybe possible to use shims with a re-drilled stock flywheel?
and the bolt pattern is different :/

At Brewers the flywheel is $389 and the single clutch kit is $449

Thank you.

So I just want to check for some clarification..
- If using with this pressure plate / disc and the Stock Flywheel Then the TO Bearing will be 0.100" further towards the trans?
If this is the case a hydraulic TOB can easily solve this.

- So the Clutch Plate and Pressure Plate could be used with a stock Flywheel and a Hyd. TOB as long as it's redrilled for the new pressure plate?

If that's the case I would Like a part # listing for the Plate and Disc.

Thanks, Greg

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:06 pm 
Board Sponsor & SL6 Racer

Car Model: 65 Valiant 2Dr Post
I'm a little confused. I thought the Ram unit was going to bolt into a stock flywheel pattern? I may be totally wrong too!! :D

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:12 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
No, the plate fingers would be too far forward on a stock flywheel, hence the aftermarket one needed. A hydro-concentric throwout brg. assy may make that a non-issue, & I'm not sure that it would take a stock assy out of range, depends on travel needed for release. The prices were listed above, the dual setup is probably best bang for buck, but a tad steep for some. Lets keep AndyZ's thread in the lane, I'm anxious to hear how this performs, & I may pull the trigger if something doesn't materialize with the CD009 stuff &casedawg this summer.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:52 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model: 1964 Dart GT
The Ram clutch package, the dual disk one, is a complete kit. Ram is also offering a replacement fly wheel that will fit one of their 9 1/2 or 10 inch single clutches. The real weakness on the slant is the stock fly wheel in my opinion. Replacing that fly wheel is the only safe way to get a stronger clutch into your driveline without getting a full on, small diameter racing setup. So just to clarify, Ram is offering a dual clutch up to 600 hp. They are also offering a single clutch and a different single clutch fly wheel that is good to maybe 300 hp? Please go check out their site. This is all listed there. I am happy that Brewer has another option for us. But just know that if you’re going to use the stock fly wheel, don’t expect to put of heavier duty pressure plate onto it. The stock ones crack when you put too much force on them. I think Brewer knows this as they haven’t ever offered any pressure plate upgrades and are not willing to do so, at least when I asked some years ago.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:06 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
Hm, that is strange. I have never heard of stock flywheels cracking and have run those with stiff McLeod PPs before (as have many others). Yes, steel or nice alum fly is better, but stock is OK. Of course, if you have an old heat spotted cast one then maybe you have problems.

In any case, I will be buying a dual setup that can hold up to turbo/superchg use! I have been waiting for this sort of setup, so thank you again.

Lou

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:44 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
I believe the pressure plates were known for self destructing, and I'm sure the heat cracking from their inability to hold was collateral damage to the flywheel, even though stock flywheels are always a risk when pushed...

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 6:39 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model: 1964 Dart GT
Hi all. Sorry for the late reply. I have been really busy and moved to NC.
Dual clutch works great. It takes a little getting used to at first, but the 64 Dart has a high first gear, close ratio 833 box. I am running the MP performance purple slant 6 cam, 268. But I t also has 3.91 gears and EFI which helps.
I checked my flywheel some time ago after I burned out my first 10” clutch and found some distortion and cracks around the flywheel holes via Magnaflux. The new one from Ram is a quality piece for sure.

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 7:01 am 

Car Model:
Thanks for the feedback! Need to order mine. I'll be asking for T5 discs and alum flywheel, so will have to call them. If they don't do alum fly then I can handle steel too...

Lou

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 11:25 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Yes Thanks for update, I am in the same boat a Lou with the Disc and flywheel preferences,

Greg

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 1:37 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model: 72' Dart Swinger / 62' Valiant
Has anyone successfully been able to order a dual disc setup from ram in the last 2 months? Ive contacted them multiple times for a T5 option and have not been able to order anything from them. They most recently told me to order from summit. Problem is summit doesn't offer the 10 spline T5/slant six combo kit. Unfortunately, I'm about to give up trying to order from Ram. I tried to order the clutch a month before the racing season started and have not been able to make any progress toward getting one yet.

If any of you were able to order a setup from them, could you please let me know how you did it? The customer service contact I've worked with has been less than helpful.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:11 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
I have not tried to order yet, but when I do it will be with the parts Ryan is trying to get.

AndyZ.. can you help ous out here?

Greg

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:00 am 

Car Model:
Sorry to hear that, Ryan. I will try to call them this week. If there are 3 of us ready to buy, maybe that will stir the pot enough.

Lou

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 156 posts ]  Go to page Previous 16 7 8 9 10 11 Next