Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:33 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:06 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model: 1962 Dodge Dart
Hi all,

I am trying to disassemble the rear axel on my 62 dart and have gotten stuck. I have the axel out, but cannot seem to remove the hub to get to the bearings. I believe that I may be supposed to remove the "key" first, then use my puller to pull off the hub. This link can take you to the B Body forum I have photos on, it's too much effort to compress them and put them on here. I just don't see how I can pull out that key.

I have just been hooking up my puller and cranked on it. I have expanded the guide hole at the end of the axel to twice the size it started at. I've got an original book and have found some videos on YouTube but this must be one of those steps everyone things is too easy to understand to bother to explain. My book says "remove the key" and I have no idea what that entails.

Paul

https://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparfor ... rt.227856/

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:19 pm 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model: 68 Valiant
What you need is a hub puller. It's like a gear puller but the arms go.on the lugs and lug nuts hold them on. Then you tighten the puller screw and whack it with a hammer.

One of the places I used to work had one. You can probably find one on Amazon or Ebay.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:43 pm 
TBI Slant 6

I think I have that. Claw footed thing that looks with a pusher bolt that goes through the middle right? It's the first photo on the link included if you'll give me a sanity check. I've cranked on it so hard it expanded the guide hole to twice it's original size. I even tried heating it a bit. I tapped it back in the opposite direction and it seemed to move a tad, so I think the key is holding it in place.

Paul

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:51 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
As a last resort you can try to weld something that you can later cut off the key.

Whatever you weld to it should be fairly strong and accessible to hit with a good sized hammer to remove the key. A lot of heatin' & beatin' with oxy acetylene can also help.

I had to remove a crank key from an engine in the car one time and i welded a big plate to the key and I was able to hammer it right out. Crank keys are also readily available so I did not worry about damage.

Good luck!

Greg

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:08 pm 
TBI Slant 6

I know I sound like a brick writing this but if I weld something to this key to hammer it, I should be hammering it it an outboard direction (ie out from the center of the car or in a pulling motion) correct? You don't mean knock it farther into the hub?

Paul

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:27 pm 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model: 68 Valiant
I never had to pull the key. I haven't done one in 35 years though at least. Details might be foggy.

I would tighten the screw on the tool as tight as possible and give it a good shack with a big hammer. Tighten the screw and whack again. Repeat as needed. Eventually the hub would pop off. It will make a loud enough bang to make you poop. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:56 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Yes pull it outboard away from the center of the car.

Greg

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:25 am 
Board Sponsor & SL6 Racer

Car Model: 65 Valiant 2Dr Post
Heat is almost always your friend.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:29 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Rick Covalt wrote:
Heat is almost always your friend.

'except when Rick is Racing or working on cars in the summertime in KY, TN, or NC then Heat is not his friend :lol: :D

Greg

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:25 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Haha, yes heat is not your friend in the South. Phoenix is at least dry. I ended up giving up on it, packing the old bearing full of grease, and putting it back together. The sound went away so fingers crossed.

If it gets to be a problem again, I think I will pay to have it done. After pulling out my ancient blow torch (the torch was made it Ireland) and sleeping on it, I realized that if I messed this up I'd have to call Joe in South Dakota who I can only reach on a Tuesday at 1:17 PM and pay him who knows how much to pull out his 62 out of the weeds, to be able to pull the axle, then pay to have him ship it to me and still have to deal with a hub.

I really like doing things myself, but these parts are just too hard to find.

Thanks again guys,

Paul