Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:29 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:37 pm 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model: 1974 Plymouth Duster
Car is a 1974 Duster 225 with the A904. I've been doing my reading (with some directed help from the good folks at FABO) and it looks like I need a 27 spline converter with a 10" diameter. I wanted to target a focused audience on this and you have all been good help before. Do these usually come with a flex plate and bolts? And is there a recommended brand or distributor that you have had good experiences with? I just want to make sure I had all my items correct and in line for the mechanic helping me out. Thanks again.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:59 pm 
Board Sponsor & SL6 Racer

Car Model: 65 Valiant 2Dr Post
Are you wanting a race convertor, Stock stall....etc. Goals for the car??

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:22 pm 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model: 1974 Plymouth Duster
I’m leaning towards the stock side of things. However, I wouldn’t mind something a bit peppier. I’ve been reading up on stall limits and stock is anywhere between 2000 and 2500 RPMs. What good would a higher stall limit make? Would I feel a difference or is it just a minor difference only seen on a dyno?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:57 am 

The torque convertor will not affect power. It will allow the engine to rev higher before it takes hold, thus getting you moving quicker.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:33 am 
Supercharged

Car Model: 80 volare, 78 fury 2 dr, 85 D150
I just had to replace mine due to a bad ring gear, and wasn't happy to discover that unless I wanted to spend 3x minimum what a stock one goes for, a stock one was what I am stuck with because my trans is cursed with a lock up converter. I was already to buy something different until I found out that the one I wanted wasn't made in Lock up configuration for a 727.
There's a torque converter place in Iowa that is talked about all the time over on FABO website, and I called them for some info on what my original one would have been.
I do know that the power the engine makes does have some control over what rpm it will "stall" at, the same converter will act differently behind different engines. Most 904s, 727s had a factory "low stall and a "hi stall" converter. I was surprised to find out from this converter company that a low stall Lock up converter behind a stock /6 would stall as low as 1200 rpm. The hi stall version is only like 1800ish. This converter company said they could custom build me a converter to stall anywhere I'd want it to be, I'd have to send my core to them. It would have been $450 or higher plus shipping both ways to get it done. Which I don't have. So I bought a newly remanned one from ebay that I found for $140ish. Delivered.
There used to be a trans parts warehouse not that far away but they consolidated locations and closed the one by me. Seems like the last TC I bought there for a 904 lockup was right around $100 exchange across the counter back when they were close enough to me to make it there without having to take a sick day to do so.... My son bought a 727 lock up there about 3 years ago for his ramcharger (which is a v8 but very likely the exact same as what I bought on eBay earlier this year) and I think it was like in the $120s, exchange, at this farther away trans parts location.
I haven't driven the truck since I put the new TC in yet, and I don't remember whether my original was a high or a low. I think it was the factory hi stall variant. If you can get the "PK number" off the side of yours and look it up I believe that will tell which TC yours originally had.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:34 pm 

If you could find one for "Taxi Cab use" it would probably stall a little higher.

From what I hear people have a really mixed bag of sucess with convertor companies getting it right. My convertor in my race car was built by Edge and is supposed to be 4000 stall behind a 275 HP engine. Guess what it will stall to? 4000rpm! :D

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:37 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model: 1966 2D Dart
For one my previous mild (supersix, MP 268 degree cam, D-duals) I asked a tranny shop to add +500 rpm to stock converter at the same process when they serviced it. That engine had good low end and that converter did about 2500 before rear brakes started to slip. It was pretty good converter for daily driver and didnt cost much. For the transmission I did Transco2 updates.