Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:30 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:11 am 
Board Sponsor & SL6 Racer

Car Model: 65 Valiant 2Dr Post
I did all I could to prevent Ryan from locking up the championship by beating him in the final yesterday. Now Jack the rest is up to you!! :D

Love you son!! :D :D

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:25 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model: More cars than sense...
Way to go to keep things interesting Rick.

If my beer math is right, it looks to me like all three of them are in the same positions with no one earning any new round points yesterday. So it’s all down to what happens today. Have fun today fellas! :D

I’m Mater
The Kentucky Poser

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:55 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
In fitting fashion, our reigning champion Ryan Covalt won the race on Sunday and maintained his lead. Jack III will be 2nd place in points. Wow he had a great season too!

Fun to be there and participate in the action. Ryan came so close to getting in the 10s too - 11.008 @117 fastest pass.

Big congrats to Ryan Covalt and all the driven racers this year!

Lou

Post subject: Mason-Dixon 2 Results
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:07 pm 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

The Mason-Dixon Brawl went down this past weekend with Ryan Covalt maintaining his lead and ending up with an appropriate 225 points.
He also continued to whittle away at the car's fastest times; re-setting records. It's very tiring to set so many records, so Ryan has decided not to even bother submitting his multiple records from Clay City... :shock: :lol:
Ryan got his light blue Valiant down to a 6.91 in the 1/8 mile and so close to a 10 second pass with 11.008 @ 117.65 MPH in the 1/4!!
He managed to win rounds with a Runner Up and Event Win to go with that, so he definitely deserves his position as points leader again this year.
Congrats on your continued success Ryan!

Event coordinator and father Rick Covalt tried his best to keep Ryan from walking away with the Championship Saturday, beating him in the final... He was Runner-Up to Ryan on Sunday. They had a great weekend of father-son racing. Rick also met his goal of getting his 64 Valiant into the 12's and 100 MPH in the 1/4 mile. He ran 11.9598 in the final on Sunday, breaking out by .0002 against Ryan. He is now in the #7 spot.

Another father-son racing team with hopes of a Championship was Jack Everhardt Jr. and son Jackie III. They rolled into Mason-Dixon hoping to end their weekend with their own tie-breaker final. Unfortunately, they weren't able to put those wins together and ended the weekend in 2nd and 3rd with Jackie III just one round ahead of his Dad.

Rodney Hargis claimed at the end of his back to back wins at Clay City he would be bringing a broom to Mason-Dixon for another "clean sweep", but he didn't show after all.

Lou Madsen added a couple more round wins to climb to the #5 spot in Project V, his gorgeous 64 Valiant with a Dart front end. Lou now has a total of 4 well-rounded Slant 6 A bodies he can easily drive cross-country and take on any drag strip or road course along the way. Truly an inspiration to fellow Slant 6ers.

Greg Ondayko made his first 2019 appearance to debut his "Grune Hole" 64 Dart road course car. He knew he wouldn't be competitive running a stock 170 and column shifted 3 speed, but everyone in attendance was impressed with the car. "Grune Hole" is German for "Green Hell" which is the nickname for the world famous Nurburg Ring.

Two Rookies also enjoyed racing this weekend. Austin Houpt drove Ryan's D150 on Saturday and Mandi Gravatt made her Slant 6 racing debut Sunday with her Notchback Barracuda. That brings the total Rookie count for 2019 to eight.

The last two races of the season will be In Tulsa, OK and Asbury, MO (MoKan) the weekend of 2-3 November.

Team Green captain, Mark Goodman, wanted to give Steve Nitti and driver/crew-chief Denny Baierl another chance to get their beautiful supercharged Gold Duster to strut its stuff with another 10 second pass. They clicked off a solid 10.90 first pass at the beginning of the year, taking out a piston on the way. Hopefully they will be able to make that long haul back down from Minnesota for another try. They have claimed runs of 10.50 at other tracks, so hopefully with some good air and MoKan's track elevation of 912 feet we will see another similar run or two...

Attachments:
Total thru MD 2.JPG
Total thru MD 2.JPG [ 138.46 KiB | Viewed 8305 times ]
MD 2 Points.JPG
MD 2 Points.JPG [ 61.65 KiB | Viewed 8305 times ]

I’m Mater
The Kentucky Poser

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:37 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model: 72' Dart Swinger / 62' Valiant
Thanks everyone. Thanks for the color commentary Rob! It’s always fun to read your stories! It really was an exciting weekend. The air was good. The cars were fast. A lot of us were breaking out because the air would get better, or the wind would die down. And it all came down to the last race!
I was glad to see Dad finally get his car into the 12’s, I know that has been a goal of his for a while.
It was cool seeing Lou get his car down in the 12’s too. I bet he gets it even faster next year when he sees how close he is to a record!
It’s always a great time seeing everyone and racing with you all. I definitely consider you my slanted family. I think my favorite part is telling people about all the racers that help each other out when we break stuff and how we try to help each other go faster! I can’t even count how many times people have helped me at the track. It really is an awesome group and I’m thankful to be part of this slanted community!

Hopefully Tulsa/Mokan are great and maybe we will see some records set there too?? I’d like to come out there to race someday too!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:47 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

It would be cool to put together a Slant 6 caravan to get a bunch of us to support the MoKan race! I'm out this year, being too busy at work.

Maybe for the season opener next year!? It's a cool little nostalgic track with some cool, laid back folks.

I couldn't agree more about the Slanted Community!

I’m Mater
The Kentucky Poser

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:21 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model:
I would love to do that, but I don't think it is possible for me. About 2,200 miles round trip.

64 Valiant Signet
64 Valiant 4dr 170

Post subject: Tulsa Results and FINAL
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:51 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Four cars showed up to represent the Slant 6 community at the Tulsa, OK Mopar event and finish up our racing season.

Bill Kendall got to race his SDRA Dragster at his home track.
Rusty Heisten stole the keys to his daughter Laney's 63 Dart.
Mark Goodman rowed his own gears in his 66 Dart wagon.

And long time Slant 6er Stan Aiton brought his beautifully restored Lancer wagon from the Dallas, TX area. Stan had only put about 10 miles on the wagon since he finished the restoration and was understandably gentle with it. His efforts wrestled the coveted title of Slowest Mopar away from Mark Goodman's wagon. Stan hasn't raced in the Slant 6 series since 2001 when he had his Hyper-Pak notchback Barracuda street car. He sold that car to Will Burns a couple years ago and recently purchased a very cool '72 Dodge Colt with a cool racing pedigree he plans to Slant. :twisted:

The weather at Tulsa was great and the racers had a good time racing and catching up with old friends. The MoKan race scheduled for Sunday was cancelled.

So, that puts a cap on the 2019 Slant 6 racing season.

Congratulations officially to Ryan Covalt as our 2019 National Champion!!

Rookie of the Year title goes to Isaiah Bruner who represented himself and the Bruner Clan very well. Isaiah won several rounds and was even able to put three-time National Champion, Rodney Hargis, on the trailer during the Knoxville race.

We had a total of 42 racers competing this year with 8 Rookies.

Congratulations to all racers and supportive family and friends!

I’m Mater
The Kentucky Poser

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:36 pm 

Car Model:
Thanks a ton, Rob. It was a fun year for sure!

Lou

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:38 pm 
Board Sponsor & SL6 Racer

Car Model: 65 Valiant 2Dr Post
Congratulations son! 2 in a row. Don't get used to it, I plan to win next year! :D

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:30 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model: Lancers
I was hoping to make the race too but, I had a stomach and intestine infection return last week. Between the diarrea and not feeling very well at all, I had to pass. I was going to bring my 62 Lancer GT (Buffie) as the engine is out of the Lancer wagon (Jackie the fritter getter)

As a side note when we pulled the engine out of Jackie a month ago she had an original 126k mile aluminum eng in her. The engine still runs but uses a lot of oil and I drive her quite a bit. Of all the times I opened the hood to add oil or trans fluid over the years, I never noticed the aluminum block. Is there a place on the fender tag that denotes the aluminum engine?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:01 pm 
Triple Duece Weber

Car Model: 1972 Dodge Colt
Frank, it would have been great to see you, sorry you were feeling bad. Just take care of yourself friend and get better. Stan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:36 am 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
I think Isaiah could be a factor in future slant 6 competition. I must have raced Rodney at least 20 times and he always won!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:32 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Isaiah is good on the tree. He tends to go red a bit too often, but he is usually in the .05 +/- area each time. He will certainly be a factor at the races he can make it to (Knoxville, Clay City, maybe Wilkesboro).

I’m Mater
The Kentucky Poser

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:14 am 

Car Model:
Rob,

I am making up the trophies. I am pretty sure none of the Mokan races put people into the top 10, but please verify if you would.

Thanks!

Lou