Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:00 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:12 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
I am not trying to one up you, but looking at your set up, just curious, would it be possible/feasible to just CNC an entire single cyl runner, injector bung, mounting flange, tapered inlet as desired and then weld that to your plenum tube? Seems like it would solve a number of issues welding wise, and only require three? CNC programs, and be spot on for all needs size/fit wise, especially with a short runner solution..I would think fighting alum weld induced distortion in a 6 cyl log manifold has to be a real headache.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:52 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model: 1973 Dodge Dart Swinger
jcc,

No worries! We appreciate all feedback and questions.
The main issue would be pricing. The solid chunk of Aluminium would be alot essentially you'd be talking billet runners. The CNC process would be significantly more expensive. A manifold designed this way would be well into the $1000+ range. Through searching we've found that very few slant six guys want to buy anything much over $1000. There are a few exceptions to this TorqStorm kits and headers for example. That all being said a full billet design would definitely be a nice thing, but the market isn't there.
With our fixture and process the warping isn't a worry.

Thank you for your questions!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:45 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
Thanks for reviewing my suggestion, but to be clear, I was only thinking the individual short runners as CNC'd solid blocks, the log and beyond as per your current solution, and was thinking maybe an economy of scale savings regarding price if there only 3? cnc programs needed. You are absolutely right, if you don't hit the cost sweet spot, this will quickly die.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:40 am 
3 Deuce Weber

jcc,

Those are good questions. In my earlier statement I was referring to solid pieces for the runners only. The materials we use are produced on such a large scale that they are cheaper than a solid bar. For example the boxed tubing is made for many different industries, thus can be had with great quality for cheap in comparison to a solid block plus machine time. The injector bungs have a similar story since the come from bar stock. The machining process is faster with individual parts. The parts are designed to ease welding. Lastly there is one more benefit of individual parts. If a individual part has a flaw then it can be cheaply replaced before welding, but if there is a flaw in the billet runner there is a lot more cost involved.

Thanks again! The more questions everyone asks the more you'll know about our company.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:08 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
Hi Yostermercury,

For the runners, I wonder if you would be able to substitute 40X40 mm square tubing (3 mm wall) for the 1.5"X1.5" tubing (0.125" wall)? How much cost would that add to the manifold?

Thanks,
Lou

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:15 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Lou,

Thanks for your questions. The current runners can't be switched, because, the flanges, plenum, and injector bung design would all need to be replaced. The benefit would be an area of 1.79" vs 1.56" if rough figures serve me well. You could achieve some of this with porting at the flange. The cost for a one off would be too much without a direct buyer. I would have to price it from our materials supplier, but typically metric sizes are more expensive. If you'd like to proceed feel free to PM me, but i'm not sure I would find the size difference worth it, especially, in a boosted application. I hope this info helps.

Thank you again for your question!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:51 pm 

Car Model:
OK, thanks for the quick and thorough response.

Best wishes,
Lou

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:33 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Yost, It seems that you are located in the Knox Metro Area.

We have a hard core contingent of Slant racers in that area as well, many who don't frequent the board here.

I would ask that when you get some more prototypes done / test mule cars setup etc.. that you begin to market your products at the Annual Racer's banquet... Should be back in the Tennessee Area in Spring 2020 - Spring 2019 it's in Southern PA if you want to make the drive.

It would possibly stir up some interest and get some of the core crowd to see the products hands on.

Think of it as the SEMA or PRI for North American slant sixers.

Keep up the great work!

Greg

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:57 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model: 1968 Barracuda - Fastback
Yost,

You could also look into running an ad campaign on search engines like Google, you can set the ad up so you only pay when people click on the ad. The market is tight for what you offer, just be careful to keep your ad target small as well. You are welcome to PM me if you have questions - this is my line of work.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:19 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
csheehy wrote:
Yost,

You could also look into running an ad campaign on search engines like Google, you can set the ad up so you only pay when people click on the ad. The market is tight for what you offer, just be careful to keep your ad target small as well. You are welcome to PM me if you have questions - this is my line of work.

Yeah Good Thought too!

Greg

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:11 am 
3 Deuce Weber

Greg,

I appreciate the invitation. We do currently have Lab Rat, which will be going turbo soon. Once Turbo'ed we are gonna post some track times. We also have a Short Bed Step-side D150 which we are contemplating using a TorqStorm with. The D150 is currently unnamed. Do we need to sign up for those events? We would love to show up and just be a part of the community.

csheehy,

Thanks for the info. Once we finish our wait list we definitely will be advertising through google. Thanks for the support it's greatly appreciated.

Thank you all once again.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:09 pm 
Board Sponsor & SL6 Racer

Car Model: 65 Valiant 2Dr Post
Quote:
Do we need to sign up for those events? We would love to show up and just be a part of the community.

No sign up needed! We like to post here or let the race coordinator know who is coming but that is not necessary!. Just show up and tell them you want to race with the Slant 6 racers!. It would be great to just have you come over to Knoxville in 3 weeks and shake some hands and get to meet some people! They are a great bunch and you will feel welcomed!

Rick

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:22 pm 

Car Model:
I will be at Knoxville on Oct 26-27 for the race. You don't need any planning or registration - just show up and pay entry fees to the track. It would be great to meet you!

Lou

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:09 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Yeah what Lou and Rick said!

I think it would be cool to end the racing season this year at Knoxville Dragway in maynardville with some of your products on display or going down the track!

Go gettum!

Greg

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:11 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Thanks Lou, Rick, and Greg!

We will definitely try our best to be up there. I'm not sure if we will be able to get Lab Rat put together in time, but we will be up there showing of a Mark II manifold. We bought some pieces for Lab Rat just to show up there with. They are temporary since we will be building a full SS Turbo Header.

For fun here's what came in the mail.

This will be mated with an HX35. I'll be doing a blog post for Lab Rat soon.

Thank you all for your time and inviting spirit.