Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:36 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:24 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model: 1964 Dart GT
I recently installed a Sniper efi on my slant and it ran for 5 seconds then quit.
I ran the setup for use with an MSD ignition and the Holley running the timing. All sensors are working and the shows rpms when cranking, so all good there. Fuel pressure is correct.
The Holley tech line is swamped so no help there.
The only thing I have not checked is spark. I suspect I cooked the MSD or the pickup in the distributor.
If anyone has any experience with this system, please let me know what setup you used for your slant.
I will post my findings.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:18 am 
Supercharged

Car Model: Fiat 500e
You said the computer is showing RPM when cranking so you can rule out bad inputs including the distributor pickup. What you don't know is whether or not the Sniper is putting out a signal to the MSD, but that's not super easy to check. It's easier to use the classic MSD box troubleshooting step. Tap the white wire to ground and see if you get sparks from the coil. If that doesn't work then you have a problem with the MSD box or coil. Seeing as how you already have the distributor wired to the Sniper I would connect the coil directly if your MSD test fails.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:28 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Thanks for the reply.
I got it running. Two problems were found.
The Holley fuel pressure regulator is bad. Apparently as early as 2018 there was an issue with the regulator and housing which doesn’t regulate at all. Luckily I have an adjustable regulator in place used as a gauge but now it is regulating pressure as well. I removed the one in the TB.
Second issue is the contact on the rotor broke off. Never seen that before. Luckily it didn’t take anything else out. I did not touch the distributor during this efi swap so just an unfortunate coincidence. New rotor and voila! It started.
New issue is the idle is at 1200 though the software is set to 850. Throttle blades are fully close. Ran out of time so quit for the day. Back at it tomorrow.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:05 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car is running great now. Found that my timing mark was wrong it is advanced by around 15^. Found TDC and remarked the dampener at the correct location. That made tuning and idle possible. Definitely running smoother. Way more midrange power than the Eddy 500 or Holley 390 delivered. I haven’t even begun to fine tune.
Next is the Vortec blower setup I have on the shelf. The computer controlled EFI should make it a lot easier to tune and and keep it in tune. More on that later.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:18 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: Fiat 500e
Good deal, keep us posted!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:06 pm 
EFI Slant 6

I discovered that my TB is only opening 75% of the way with the pedal to the floor. :shock:
Next weekend, if it is under 100 degrees out, I will get that straight.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:13 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
Excellent news. Congrats.
Lou

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:39 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Good catch..

It seems that one of the covalt clan ran into a similar issue on a carb one time.

Greg

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:59 am 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model: 68 Valiant
AndyZ wrote:
Thanks for the reply.
I got it running. Two problems were found.
The Holley fuel pressure regulator is bad. Apparently as early as 2018 there was an issue with the regulator and housing which doesn’t regulate at all. Luckily I have an adjustable regulator in place used as a gauge but now it is regulating pressure as well. I removed the one in the TB.
Second issue is the contact on the rotor broke off. Never seen that before. Luckily it didn’t take anything else out. I did not touch the distributor during this efi swap so just an unfortunate coincidence. New rotor and voila! It started.
New issue is the idle is at 1200 though the software is set to 850. Throttle blades are fully close. Ran out of time so quit for the day. Back at it tomorrow.

Good tips here. We are planning to use sniper EFI as well.