Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:13 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:32 am 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model: 72 grumman
Hello all, a lot of good has happened since my last post(s) regarding my step van. To name a few,....engine has been rebuilt, new rebuilt auto trans to replace the 4 speed manual trans(which is for sale) among other new items. Haven't broken in the new camshaft yet. My focus now is to replace the single barrel carb with an EFI. Is there an "off-the-shelf" that folks use for their "non-performance racing" slant engines? Where to buy? Thanks everyone! I'm getting close.....

Karl

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:11 am 
Supercharged

Car Model: 80 volare, 78 fury 2 dr, 85 D150
Is the carb totally dead? If it were me, (and I'm not a big electronics fan) I'd get it going on the carb, break it in and get the bugs out as it was equipped before the rebuild, and then worry about adding on other possible headaches.
There have been posts in the past on here about various EFI setups that site users have put together, have to look around.
But I thought I had heard that someone like Holley/Sniper had come out with something like what you are thinking.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:45 am 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Hello, Yeah, I was thinking of that idea of just getting it going as originally built, but I'm not proficient enough to fool around with a carb on my own. I've been looking for an expert but they are hard for me to find. Any detroit area carb experts out there? I have a local shop that will install the EFI for me..... To answer your first question, it is a Holley new old stock that I bought from another member on this forum......This vehicle isnt going to be a show vehicle, rather a work truck. It has been recommended by a few folks to switch to an EFI, but I'm not opposed to the carburetor, I just need someone that works with them.....

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:42 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 76 D100
Maybe this?

CLICK ME

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:33 am 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Hello Reed, when I click on "does this fit my vehicle?", it only displays Ford vehicles. I'll call and see if there is an adapter for Dodge. Anyone hear of Fitech efi?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:47 am 
Supercharged

Car Model: 76 D100
72also wrote:
Hello Reed, when I click on "does this fit my vehicle?", it only displays Ford vehicles. I'll call and see if there is an adapter for Dodge. Anyone hear of Fitech efi?

So? The important issue is does the carb bolt pattern match your intake. A carb is a carb and a carb doesn't care what engine it bolts to. If you go EFI you are going to have to get creative to make the throttle and kickdown linkages work anyway, so as long as the throttle body bolts to the intake the rest doesn't matter. That unit is a TBI system so all it is is a computer-metered gasoline nozzle. It doesn't matter what engine it is bolted to.

I have heard of Fitech efi and I have heard people who like it.

Good luck.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:08 am 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

I spoke to a tech guy at each Holley and Fitech. I was told that they do not have a efi to fit my engine that will simply bolt on and go. I would have to get a different intake manifold that will fit one of their 2 barrrel efi setups. Then a header in addition. Now we are going backwards with this project. Holley did provide some bore diameter and bolt measurements and they do not match what I have. I've decided to stick with the new old stock single barrel Holley carb that is currently on the engine and proceed. I would do the efi for sure if it was an easy swap. maybe in the future. Thanks for all the input.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:32 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Mods.. Should this get placed in the "fuel injection" section?

Greg

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:55 am 
Supercharged

Car Model: 80 volare, 78 fury 2 dr, 85 D150
That one that reed linked to sure looks like a 1 barrel throttle body to me. Not sure why that setup couldn't be made to work.
In the article section here there's an EFI conversion and I think that guy got his stuff off of a fiero or something like that. Home brew, junkyard sourced would be cheaper for sure. And if you get the throttle body, computer off of a "known" car, getting replacement parts should be easy, as should hookup to the computer, etc.... You wouldn't be able to modify or adjust the settings within the computer that way though. Add a distributor from a lean burn slant 6, (single pickup plate style, not dual) and you should be good.
I'd still get it all going on the setup as it was before the rebuild first.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:44 pm 
Board Sponsor & SL6 Racer

Car Model: 65 Valiant 2Dr Post
I just put the Holley 2 barrel EFI on Ryan's Valiant a couple months back and it was by no means easy. It was a lot of work and a lot of expense. The self learning part of the program has been next near to worthless. Others may have had different experience with it but the Holley 2 barrel EFI on a 170 engine has not worked out at all. Ryan is starting over, programming everything in by hand. Hopefully it will work some day.

PS. I call Holley Tech with a simple question. " Will the EFI regulator built into the unit handle 100# inlet?" It was 30 tedious minutes talking to 3 different people, until I finally got to the head of the tech department who was able to give me the answer I needed. I was not impressed with them at all. :cry:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:40 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
What none of the kits seem to mention, is the stock 35amp alternator may not have enough oomph to power a modern TBI system. Which can lead to a whole lot of upgrades, which a larger alternator may be just one of them.

Holley also has BBD style of throttle body. Aimed at the Jeep crowd.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:59 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
I'm probably going to sound crass, but if you're having issues working with a simple carburetor, you will get the privilege of experiencing your worst childhood nightmares adapting fuel injection. Most EFI systems require a fuel return line, higher fuel pressures, some sort of crank trigger, and a host of other "minor" considerations. Furthermore, you can purchase a brand new carburetor -- requiring absolutely no vehicle modifications -- at a fraction of the price of just the EFI system. I am an EFI advocate, when it's appropriate. But my suggestion to you is get the carbureted system working (based on your stated goals).

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:44 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
Do not ever think that Holley or any big company will answer any questions worth a darn, no matter how much you spend with them, unless you have a plug-and-chug motor like an LS or GM/Ford smallblock.

I would get your 1bbl rebuilt properly first and work on other things while you learn about EFI. None of the "bolt on" 2bbl systems out there have worked well as far as anyone on this site has heard. I also love EFI, but I build my own systems for Slant 6 motors. Sorry, do not have the time to build for anyone else... I wish I did.

Lou