Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 11:03 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: pan daemonium electrika
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:07 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
Got in car to go buy spare voltage regulator for trip to PA. Turn signals were working, but dash lights were not lighting as they customarily light. Drove two blocks and left turn signal began to not work. Drove the five blocks home with new regulator in hand, and backed into driveway. Now backup lights weren't working. Dash lights still no, left turn signal no. Turned off headlights, turned off ignition. Left taillight was still on. Turned key again to accessory position. Now no brake lights when stepping on brakes, no taillights when headlights on. No dash lights, no left turn signal. :cry: :?: Don't want to rent car for trip. Want to drive /6 ragtop.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:31 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
Another factor is that I just replaced the carpet. It's possible that a broken bulb that was in the rear side panel shorted out. I'll check it out in the morning.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:24 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
http://www.mymopar.com/wiringdiagrams.htm

Check the electrical condition of the headlight switch, and turn signal switch. Check brake light switch alignment and function. All the exterior lighting circuits are controlled by these three devices.

Where your dash lights failed first than other exterior lights, I would bet that the headlight switch suffered a chain reaction melt down, or the conductors connected to it have.

What happens with these old cars is the electrical connections become corroded causing an increased resistance to current flow which generates excessive heat. This heat will often cause an electrical fire. You got a smokeless warning this time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:37 am 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
wjajr wrote:
You got a smokeless warning this time.
8) That's the silver lining wjajr! More info: fuse blows when battery is hooked up, but lights off. Makes me think problem is between fuse block and switch. I'll replace the switch with a spare I have on hand. I also taped up the interior light that was suspect. Unfortunately it looks like a rental for the trip, no time to play around. Such is the old car life.