Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:31 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 4:07 pm 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model:
Hi Guys,

After reading all of the write ups on the HEI conversion I decided to try it for myself. I have a 70 dart with points. Installed the setup, no spark. Then I read the posts again for the last two days trying to find my screw up. I didn't find anything. Below is my set up.

I bypassed the 2 prong ballast resistor by splicing together the single black wire on the right side of the resistor to the blue & brown wires on the other side. I put a 35 amp fuse in there as well. Those run to + on the coil. The module is the Standard brand 4 pin 301 HEI module. B terminal goes to + coil. W terminal to - coil. Module is on aluminum and grounded (yes i used the paste to) to the body through the mount (inner fender) and VIA a mounting hole to the alternator body.

The primary and secondary winding on the Accel coil check out. I have 12V at the + coil and B terminal and -12V on the coil and W terminal. The grounds are good since I can put a probe on the + coil and a probe on the module engine ground and get +12VDC. I have 12V in run and start positions at the coil.

The way I see it there are two failure points left. What type of readings should i see out of my VOM on the trigger side of the module? If it's the module how do i test it using a meter?

The other possibility is the distributor. It's a junk yard EI dizzy out of a M body. Installed at TDC. Verified TDC by pulling the valve cover and making sure both valves are closed when the dizzy is on #1 terminal. How do I know the dizzy is sending the signal? Ohms check when the reluctor is lined up?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 4:13 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
The pickup in the distributor has polarity. If the 2 wires are reversed the HEI won't function properly.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 6:08 pm 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model:
I tried that. I should have mentioned that. No spark

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 6:40 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 76 D100
OHM check the pickup in the distributor by removing it, putting a lead in each terming, and spinning the shaft. If the needle on the VO meter bounces around the pickup is good.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 9:35 pm 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model:
Put the vom on the dizzy wires while it was on #1. Got continuity. So that's good. Still no spark.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 9:36 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Quote:
a junk yard EI dizzy out of a M body

Two wires or four wires coming out of the distributor? With or without a vacuum advance pod on the side of the distributor?

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 9:31 am 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model:
Two wires out of the distributor, w/ vacuum pod, and it has weights and springs.

I'll have time to tinker with it today. I have an hei set up on my belvedere so I can swap over some parts to test. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to fry something else if it was my wiring. I'm pretty sure it's the coil. If I tap a ground wire to the - coil terminal I don't get a spark from the coil wire. Just strange since the windings test within spec.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 3:03 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: Fiat 500e
Two ways to test the distributor:

Connect it to the Belvedere and spin it by hand to see if it triggers the module and you get sparks.

The distributor is essentially an AC waveform generator so you can connect the distributor to an AC volt meter and give it a spin to see if it makes voltage.

Otherwise it's swap other components into the Belvedere to find the bad part.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 4:13 pm 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model:
Looks to be an out of the box failure on the module. I'll go swap it out at O'Reilly's , fire it up and get my timing back to where I had it before I monkeyed with everything.