Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:24 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: DUI dizzy install
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:16 pm 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model: '84 Ram D150
First post, old /6 fan. I have a '84 D150 with a slant. I do know this is a sore point here, but I have a DUI distributor I want to put in to get rid of the Lean Burn stuff. I did one of these last year for my '65 Mustang. That one was a one wire system with the relay and dizzy mounted coil. The slant system base a remote coil. Can anyone tell me if I still need to use the relay? Any other information would be most appreciated. Not much info from DUI with this kit.

Post subject: Re: DUI dizzy install
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:28 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Is this a new DUI distributor? Or a used one?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:36 pm 
1 BBL (New)

Brand new.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:51 pm 

Car Model:
Then I would recommend you return it, get your money back, and go a better direction. See this thread and then do it this way instead. You'll spend less money and wind up with a better, more dependable result that's easier to install, too.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:13 pm 
1 BBL (New)

SlantSixDan wrote:
Then I would recommend you return it, get your money back, and go a better direction. See this thread and then do it this way instead. You'll spend less money and wind up with a better, more dependable result that's easier to install, too.

See, after reading quite a bit on this forum, I had a feeling this is the way this thread was going to go. I don't want to go your "better" way. It may well be better, but there is more than one way to get to the same place. I've got the parts, I'm going to use them, I have read enough of your posts Dan, that I highly respect your knowledge. Perhaps you could not be so rigid in your disdain for other options. I asked for help with what I wanted to use, if you can't (or wont) help, then one way or another, I'll figure it out.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:05 pm 

Car Model:
I don't help people do things I think they're likely to regret. I try to talk 'em out of it, but I made a recommendation, dude, I didn't issue a requirement or write a law! :lol:

I'm sure you'll figure it out onehow or another, and you're welcome to whatever view you wish to hold of me and my advice.

(you might note I'm not the only one who has a dim opinion of that ignition setup, and there might be a reason why.)

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:38 pm 
1 BBL (New)

SlantSixDan wrote:
I don't help people do things I think they're likely to regret. I try to talk 'em out of it, but I made a recommendation, dude, I didn't issue a requirement or write a law! :lol:

I'm sure you'll figure it out onehow or another, and you're welcome to whatever view you wish to hold of me and my advice.

(you might note I'm not the only one who has a dim opinion of that ignition setup, and there might be a reason why.)

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thanks Dan, your help is appreciated.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:25 pm 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model: Dodge D150 1987
Newbie here: I held off as long as I could stand it before joining:: *yet another site and password and ID* ~ Just so, my project vehicle is a 1987 D150 225 and certainly does have that 'obscure' Lean Burn, of which I am electing in strong consideration to Eliminate/Bypass it and this thread holds common ground... Good References as I have visited many posts from Slant 6 Forum @ glad i joined :) That being said: How common is it for the Slant six to have an aluminum Intake manifold @ especially a 1 barrel carb.. , ?? which my truck does have. I worked 15 years as a mechanic from 1984 thru 1999 with the Orange County School Board and worked on Hundreds of Dodges but never recall seeing of getting hands-on with an aluminum intake manifold .. I understand these Aluminum manifolds were common for the Super Six... just Wondering if anyone can share some insights on how rare/common a single-barrel-intake made from aluminum vs Iron actually is. Thank You!! :) . . . And,, I seem to lack the tech skills to post photos ~

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:23 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
Hi Shoes,

Welcome to the forum. I am sorry I cannot tell you absolutely if you need the relay for this install, but in general having a relay will help isolate and protect electrical components so I would lean toward using it.

I have no experience with the DUI distrubutor/system, but you are certainly entitled to use it. I like the Pertronix myself and have used a couple of those with no issues. FWIW, I have never run an HEI system because I demand reliability (like across the country multiple times, on racetracks, etc) and I hear about a lot of failures of that system.

Dan's thoughts and opinions are usually valuable, even if he sounds very extreme most of the time. You just have to get used to it.

I sincerely hope you continue to visit our site to get help with your projects and improve your Slant 6.

All the best,

Lou

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:24 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
Aluminum intakes were very common on mid-late 80s Slant 6 engines. I wonder if all of them had alum intakes by 1987...

Lou

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:47 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model:
shoes wrote:
First post, old /6 fan. I have a '84 D150 with a slant. I do know this is a sore point here, but I have a DUI distributor I want to put in to get rid of the Lean Burn stuff. I did one of these last year for my '65 Mustang. That one was a one wire system with the relay and dizzy mounted coil. The slant system base a remote coil. Can anyone tell me if I still need to use the relay? Any other information would be most appreciated. Not much info from DUI with this kit.

I don't know much about the system, but why not contact the company for info?
https://performancedistributors.com/

Edit: I looked up this system, and I agree with Dan, it is a waste of money. It is basically a slant six distributer with out vacuum advance ( which will hurt fuel mileage), and a GM style ign module (the same as used in the HEI conversion).
But to answer your question. Several people have used a relay when doing the HEI conversion. Personally, I don't think it is necessary (and I don't use one), if you have good wireing in the vehicle, as there is not a large current draw, and one less component to fail. Wireing is the same as converting to HEI.

64 Valiant Signet
64 Valiant 4dr 170

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:42 pm 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model: Dodge D150 1987
@ Dart270... I was wondering so,,, it never occurred to me to Google Chrysler intake manifold construction 1980s... even so,, there are some things that it is pleasant to hear from another Human being *.*

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:18 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
I used a relay when I installed a Summit CD box in my Dart. This replaced the ballast resister and the Chrysler ECU which had burned out. I used the relay to combine the start circuit with the run circuit and to remove any excess amperage from the ignition switch.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 5:21 pm 
1 BBL (New)

kesteb wrote:
I used a relay when I installed a Summit CD box in my Dart. This replaced the ballast resister and the Chrysler ECU which had burned out. I used the relay to combine the start circuit with the run circuit and to remove any excess amperage from the ignition switch.

Thank you. And also to the other few that didn't act like children.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:54 am 
Supercharged

Car Model: 1962 Plymouth Valiant Signet
Let me just say this. Dan can be a bit prickly and he doesn't mince words; we all have our quirks. He's gotten under my skin more than once but his knowledge is both deep and accurate. I do wish he could soften his tone a little but in the 12 years or so that I've been around this board it hasn't changed and I don't expect that it will. The way to handle it is to listen to what he has to say and take that for what it's worth then make your own decision as to how to proceed. He isn't always right, but I would gladly take the odds to Vegas.

Regarding the original question, I have no clue so I can't contribute to that but if it were me and given the several opinions against the DUI product I would be very leery of using it but in the end, the choice is yours.

'06 Jeep Liberty

Growing older is unavoidable but growing up is strictly optional.