Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:30 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:19 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
Hi All, I'm curious about adapting a stock 63 or 64 points style distributor for use in my future super six install. I've done some reading and was thinking of acquiring a spring set, the FBO limiter plate and swapping out the vacuum can to achieve the timing to support a super six. Reason I ask about using these years specifically is because I have one of each sitting in my garage and if it's not too much trouble to adapt, I would do it. I read on one of Dan's posts regarding the vacuum cans that the upper breaker plate would need to be drilled to accommodate the later vacuum can arm pin. That's no problem. Just wondering if it would be easier and/or more economical to keep searching for the actual distributor from a super six or another later model versus adapting what I already have. Thanks! Gerard

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:06 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 80 volare, 78 fury 2 dr, 85 D150
Either would work, sure.
But so would about any electronic ignition distributor from '73 up until they did away with the advance can and weights for use with the lean burn system.
Sure there was 1 particular distributor that they used alot with the super 6 setup, but many people have swapped on a super 6 and kept whatever distributor was already in the engine when it had the 1 bbl and done just fine with it.
The biggest thing is to be sure that everything within the distributor you have works as it is supposed to. Things like a good vac advance can, springs that aren't broke and mechanical advance weights that aren't seized.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:17 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
Thanks Don. I appreciate the feedback. I tore down the 64 unit last night and while it needs a good scrub and lube, all the parts are there and seem to function fine. So, I'll plan on using it with a few light mods for the super six. Have a Happy new year! Gerard

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:24 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
I would follow Don's advice for the start of things... and just be on the look out to put together an EI setup and the distributor
that you want (stock slants like to have a fair bit of initial...so the stock 1973-1975 EI distributors, and late points distributors aren't optimum
for plug and play). Points are OK up to a certain point, but there is a lack of variety in vacuum advance cans for them now, and
the spring posts on the main shaft are not adjustable (and since single point distributors are not tolerant to fast advance curves...
they typically come with 2 heavy advance springs compared to the light and heavy looped spring of the 1973-1980-ish distributors).
As an FYI for obscure knowledge the last slant six points distributors in 1972 had similar bodies, and guts to the 1973 EI distrbutor, just
with a point breaker plate and early style vacc adv. can).

If I get a chance to look through a few boxes of junk in my shop and find a decent EI core for your build, I will PM you.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:43 am 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
Thanks so much! I actually just found your rebuild/recurve tutorial in the Articles section which will be a perfect resource for me, so I'll make sure to read through that. I'm not opposed to going to EI on this car - almost everything is apart anyway and I realize there are benefits to doing the upgrade. I've just got so many variables in play at once that it might be in my interest to keep it simple to start, verify everything is working properly then go from there. It would be great if you're able to find a core, please let me know. I appreciate the feedback and suggestions.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:31 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 80 volare, 78 fury 2 dr, 85 D150
make that 63 or 64 dist that you have, the best that you can make it for now, stab it in, get the car running while you look around for an EI distributor.
and even if you wind up with one of those "less than optimal" ones, those can be modified/ made into one that works for you. There is no "one" that works best for everyone. a dead stock engine that has just had a swap from a 1 bbl to a 2 bbl, is different than one in a 12 sec dragstrip only car. or a auto vs stick. or a car vs van vs truck. Gearing makes a difference. as can one BBD vs another, To be the best for you and your particular setup you are gonna have play around with it.
Sure, you can stab in a "known good" distributor, and get running and probably be "fine" with it..... but is that "good enough" for you or do you want it to be the best it can be?
Which again, can be different for everyone. You have to tweak both ignition and carb to get everything running its "best".