Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:28 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:36 am 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model: Farm Equipment
I have a 1973 John Deere swather (hay making machine) that runs off of a 225 Slant Six. Runs great, but has a few oil leaks and I would like to add electronic ignition. Right now she has points and a distributor with the number 3656257. Once upon a time, I had a 1974 Duster with the electronic ignition which was quite nice. Can you remove the points/plate and drop in a complete electronic unit? Will it fit and bolt into the distributor? I see complete units on eBay all the time with the reluctor. I know I have to have the right pigtail, bypass the ballast and have the module. I still have a NOS module from years ago to put in. Just looking to make it bulletproof

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:58 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Quote:
Can you remove the points/plate and drop in a complete electronic unit? Will it fit and bolt into the distributor?

Short answer is No. Unfortunately the body, vacc advance, springs, plate, pickup, governor, vacc advance, and governor would need to be replaced
for the conversion...so essentially you need a 1973-1980-ish EI distributor to do this conversion...which can drop into place of the
points distributor in the block, but then would need the EI module, coil, and wiring harness to hook everything up....or you could use an
HEI module instead of the Mopar EI unit and wire it all up... the only "drop in conversion" for the Points distributors is kits like the Pertronix unit.

I always found it slightly funny that the slants in ag machines had a vacuum advance on them...like they'd be able to get more
economy out of the slant under heavy load threshing hay....LOL

Just remember to run the current distributor up to the #1 piston position on the cap, note position, and put the EI unit in with the
rotor in the same position.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:21 pm 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model: Farm Equipment
Got it....any years better than others? Numbers to look for? The engine does have a belt driven mechanical governor, so playing with that is out of the question. What is nice, is that this machine has been COMPLETELY left alone. It is in VERY nice original shape, no hacks, no modifications, no wiring 'upgrades'. It even still has the original fuel filter with the John Deere green overspray on it.

I am going to/want to change the plug wires, dist cap, rotor (electronic ignition is preferred upgrade), plugs, fuel lines, PCV, valve cover gasket, valve cover grommets, air filter (the one in it is dated Jan 73) and vacuum lines. There is an oil leak on the oil pump side, not sure if it is the oil pump gasket or something higher up. Any recommendations?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:32 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 64 Plymouth Valiant
A pertronix would drop in.

8)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:10 pm 
Guru

Car Model: Many Darts and a Dacuda
Quote:
... There is an oil leak on the oil pump side, not sure if it is the oil pump gasket or something higher up. Any recommendations?

Inspect the oil pressure sending unit. Those can leak where the wire connects but only when running and under pressure.
The spark plug tubes are another possible source of oil leak(s) on that side of the engine.
DD