Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:16 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:41 am 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
Hello EEE's and electronics buffs,
I'm trying to get rid of a loud hum that has developed in my AM radio. I pulled out a big capacitor and thought that replacing it would be a good place to start. As you've guessed by now, I have a soldering iron but no deep knowledge of electronics. I quickly learned that this oddball capacitor is not available from most retail outlets. It is one with three radial leads, two of the wire leads marked with a "+." On the side is printed 3V 500uF. My question is this: if I"m not trying for an exact restoration, could I use two separate capacitors both grounded to the previous grounding site on the circuit board? If so, have I provided enough information for you to estimate what presently available capacitors would work as replacements?
The radio is in my slant 67 Barracuda, a Bendix AM-only unit marked "Plymouth Audio."
All replies gratefully accepted

Last edited by slantfin on Thu Feb 24, 2022 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 1:00 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
If it were me, I would google ‘vintage car radio repair’ maybe there is some good shop close to where you are. At worst there are shops that you can talk with to ball park estimate the repair items and cost.
I am usually all about do it yourself repairs, but that is when I have good knowledge of what’s wrong and knowledge of the device to be repaired.
Just swapping out parts, and especially swapping in non standard parts is a recipe for disaster.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 2:11 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
Let me put it another way. Theoretically, could a radio repair professional replace a dual positive-single ground antique capacitor rated at 3 volts and 50 uF with two separate capacitors, and if so, with what would the radio repair professional replace them; safety being the primary concern?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 3:22 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Josh Might know....

I am assuming you checked on ebay / digikey/ mouser for that part?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 7:12 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
I checked ebay, but not digikey/mouser, I'll take a look. I have a request in with Hayseed Hamfest, custom makers, but haven't heard back yet.
I'm trying to learn as I go, which is what my slant car is all about. I've rebuilt the transmission and differential, as well as installing a floor shifter, etc. I also recently made modifications to the charging system taking the advice of Dan Stern, and installed relays for the headlights. I couldn't have done it without this forum!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 12:14 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
I examined the capacitor more closely. On one (+) lead, the printing says 500uF 3V, on the other (+) lead it says 50uF 3V and the third lead should be the (-) ground.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:09 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
Yes that dual capacitor has a common ground and you can remove it and tie in two modern capacitors to the ground lead, and the correct lead to the respective positive points in its place.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 10:34 am 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
phogroian wrote:
Yes that dual capacitor has a common ground and you can remove it and tie in two modern capacitors to the ground lead, and the correct lead to the respective positive points in its place.

OK, thank you for the response! I did build a Heathkit crystal radio back in 1969, so it's not my first radio rodeo.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 8:07 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model: 75 Dart SE (2),75 Swinger, 74 Dart Sport,91 Ram RV
"Radio rodeo" :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 6:07 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
All this chatter about capacitors. I await discussion on Wheatstone's bridge... Not really. This radio repair topic triggered a long lost memory of Weatstone Bridge from a long ago (49 years) required basic electronics course for civil engineering students that we could give two rips about. Oddly, the EE guys never had to take a concrete design course.

It seams blown capacitors are a common weak point of old & not so old electronic devices as are cold solder joints. This discussion has encouraged me to crack open my IH 1200 B pickup's dead AM radio to check its capacitors. And perhaps perform a cheap quick fix. In the past I have sent out my old radios to a professional for resurrection. Another project that requires no heavy lifting or jack stands.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 12:33 pm 
Site Admin

Car Model: '63 Dodge Dart GT Convertible
I doubt the problem would be a cap. A hum is usually caused from a bad filter capacitor when the device is powered by AC, not DC, as a car radio is.