Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:32 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2022 10:29 am 
Supercharged

Car Model: 80 volare, 78 fury 2 dr, 85 D150
I finally have my engine together. Yay!
Last thing is the distributor. I have 2. Both the "super 6 specified" 3874876. one NOS (only has ~100 miles on it from brand new) and the other, well used, sticky, don't wanna move very well. so it's apart for a refurb. Ready to put back together.
It was suggested that for a truck, when I got the NOS one, to swap out vac advance cans for a VC 239, original one is supposed to be a "11.0" and the 239 is supposed to be an "8.5".
I'm assuming that is the amount of advance a certain can will provide. I have 2 of the VC239s here, new in box. so that's covered.
The governor appears to say "9R" on it. I also have an NOS shaft assy that has a governor that has a "15" on it. I take it the "9" is the better choice? Holding them up side to side where will I see what makes a 9, a 9/ and a 15, a 15?
I hear about welding up the slots on the governor. can I avoid that, if I go with one over the other?
I've also heard that the heavy advance spring has to go" I bought a set of the ones that "Halifaxhops" was selling on FABO. Both look lighter than that heavy spring. Do I use both of those? or one of the "package" springs, and the lighter one of the originals? Thru the plastic wrap holding the new ones to the cardboard packing, both of the ones in the package look "lighter" than the "light" spring that I took out. and does it matter which spring goes on which weight? I'm thinking not.

I've rebuilt distributors before/ but have always put them back together just as I found them, just freshened up, and freed up. the "how to get apart" and "how to reassemble" I'm OK on.... the questions are mostly "reassemble with which parts"?
I am gonna put the VC239 vacuum can on just because its brand new/ and whatever was on there is 40+ years old, and unknown mileage. I'm also putting in a new electronic ignition pickup plate. "because I have a few"

Oh yeah... 1 more.... anyone have a PN.... or at least specs, on a new Oring for the outside of the housing? I'm not against looking thru hardware store bins to find what I need there.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 2:59 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Use the 9R governor. Set the initial to 12* BTDC. This, in theory, should give you 30* of total mechanical advance. The 15R governor would be set to TDC, and in theory, this should also give you that same 30* of total advance. The difference is that 15* BTDC usually gives a better low end feel.

Buy a dial-back timing light and start experimenting. The springs are used to adjust how fast that 30* is reached. What is good for your engine combination may be different from everybody else's.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 3:13 pm 
Supercharged

Already have the dial back timing light. Have had for eons it seems.
Have rebuilt distributors before but just put back as they came apart, lubed and "fixed what broke/ wore out".
Never tried to modify one from how it was set up "stock" is all .. that's the part I'm trying to figure out, what to change and by how much.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 6:44 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model: 1975 Dodge D100
Congrats on the engine assembly, Don. I can relate. :D
Hey, did you look on the Engine FAQ thread? There's a few links there with distributor recurve and vacuum advance info.
http://www.slantsix.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=38471
http://www.slantsix.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=46266
http://www.slantsix.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13198
Good luck with the distributor mods!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 2:45 pm 
Supercharged

and739 wrote:
Congrats on the engine assembly, Don. I can relate. :D
Hey, did you look on the Engine FAQ thread? There's a few links there with distributor recurve and vacuum advance info.
http://www.slantsix.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=38471
http://www.slantsix.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=46266
http://www.slantsix.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13198
Good luck with the distributor mods!

yeah I know I saw at least 2 of those, dont remember 3. have to look and see which one I missed.

If I'd have stayed on things and had everything here for it at once, I could have had that engine together in about a day or less. Done it many times before. on various car engines.
I have a (ended up way too long) post in the "what did you get done to your slant today" thread from this past Saturday. I got a sense of "I gotta get this thing DONE and DONE TODAY" going, and drove ridiculous amount going between 7 NAPA's and still didn't come up with enough manifold studs. I got em now though/ after store #3 I should have just ordered them. Store #1 knew what I wanted but came up empty.... found a few at store #2 and a lead on a couple stores that were supposed to have them (and wound up "not") once I got there.....Tired of suggestions from various parts people, like "Ace Hardware" and "go get some all thread and make your own" or You SURE those aren't metric"? Stores besides Napa, were even worse idiots.
but I am tired of looking at it covered on the stand, with a couple of garbage bags to keep dirt, dust etc out of it..... so I had to get it done, so as to not get it full of garage dirt... from sanding, grinding, welding, and jsut the cloud from sweeping the floor.... It was time to get it "sealed up".

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:21 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Nothing special about those studs. Standard 5/16 carburetor studs work just fine.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:39 pm 
Supercharged

Only thing special about them is the idiot counter guys I ran into.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 5:04 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model: