Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:15 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: Points ignition wiring
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 3:37 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model: 1929 Dodge Roadster
I'm rewiring a 225 slant six with a points distributor. Can anyone share a wiring diagram for this? I found an old thread from 2007 but the link someone posted appears to be dead or not the same as it was. The engine is in a hot rod that I'm building and the previous owner had a nightmare of snakes for the wiring. I currently have the wire coming from the distributor going to the negative terminal on the coil as well as the mini capacitor wired.to the negative side of the coil. The wire.from the positive side of the coil goes to one side of the ballast resistor. Where should the wire from the other side of the ballast resistor go? Just a keyed power source? My starter wiring is a separate circuit. Thanks for the help!

Gene

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 5:36 pm 
TBI Slant 6

It looks like I'm on the right track after reading my 1971 copy of American Technical Society's book Automotive Electrical Systems that I forgot I had. Most systems use the ignition switch to bypass the ballast resistor to allow full voltage at the coil for easier starting. How could I replicate this in my setup?

I am using a 2 position key switch to allow power to one fuse panel via a large continuous relay. I am using a momentary switch for the starter solenoid to start the car. Could I run a wire from this momentary switch to the coil skipping the ballast resistor to provide full voltage to the coil?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 7:30 pm 
TBI Slant 6

yup i figured it out i will run the ballast resistor wire to my fuse panel controlled by the key switch and then the bypass wire will run off of the starter solenoid terminal. I will leave this up in case anyone ever finds it via the search function...or so i can find it again when i get distracted with another part of my project and need to come back to this haha