Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:23 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:51 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
Hi I was looking on old posts to see if this had been asked before and didn't find it, so I was wondering if anyone knows whether or not the stock Packard 58 female terminals will fit in new Packard 56 connectors.

I've been working on the electrical system and ran across a couple of connectors/housings that are starting to turn to dust (yah has it been that many years) :lol: , so I wanted to replace them but, I couldn't find them anywhere. I didn't want to start rebuilding the harness if I didn't have to, so I thought just replace with 56s.

In the past I had replaced a number of wires and terminals using the 58s I got from Clips and Fasteners, so overall the harness is in pretty good shape. It's time for the connector/housings.

Thanks for any help,

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 5:02 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
Well, looks like no one's sure yet, so I might have to do an experiment and get back to everyone with the results. :wink:

I thought I saw a different manufacturer listing in there description (on the net) that they made a connector/housing for terminals that accepted both the 58's and another brands. I think it was molex terminals they were talking about, but don't quote me on that, I'm going to double check that as well because I don't remember the name of the housing manufacturer. Maybe second experiment?

Thanks,

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 6:53 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
Well, the connectors are in and the news is promising. The 58 series terminals do seem to fit with out issues.

The 58 series terminal dimensions are very similar to the 56 series terminals. And the 58 series terminals fit well in the 56 connector housings. Now the question is when the connectors are fully pinned will they connect right? I'll find that out on Sunday when I pop-em together.

I got the Ron Francis brand from Summit #RFW-QCK8. They're just calling them the Eight Quick Connect series not the 58 series Packard connectors even though they are clearly one and the same. American auto wire has got the same thing and their calling theirs something else without the correct series name also. What's up with that?

Sorry I don't have the pictures and links up, (not to sure how to :? ) but I'll let you know Sunday.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 1:57 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
Well I'm back. I got the experiment done and it was successful, but I had to pay close attention to a few things to be sure it went good. They were minor details though.

I had a really nice detailed review of the test all written up for everyone (it took a couple of hours to write and think through), but when I pressed submit it just vanished into thin air!!! :evil: So now there isn't going to be one.

This has happened to me before in the past on this site, more than a couple of times. Still not fixed?

If anyone has any interest or questions I'll be happy to talk.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 5:54 pm 
Board Sponsor & SL6 Racer

Car Model: 65 Valiant 2Dr Post
When typing a long post. Always copy it before trying to post it. Yes I had them disappear also. :?