Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:24 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: More weird things
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 3:47 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model: 78’ dodge D100 slant six
Yes I know. A LOT of issues. But with the help of you fine folks here they are being resolved one by one. I will just post updates on electrical things here unless I’m told to make new threads and will do so if needed :D
Not a new problem but one that has been bugging me. After I changed to the voltmeter and bypassed the shunt, whenever I turn on my dome light my instrument lights go out. I have the original switch still installed and it checks good with meter. What am I missing? Also when I turn the control knob lower I see the flicker I used to see from my headlights in my cluster lights.

Post subject: Re: More weird things
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2023 10:44 am 
Site Admin

Car Model: '63 Dodge Dart GT Convertible
You may have a bad ground on the instrument panel.Try connecting a wire from a good ground to some metal point on the panel to see if anything changes.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 7:08 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Chuck wrote:
You may have a bad ground on the instrument panel.Try connecting a wire from a good ground to some metal point on the panel to see if anything changes.

Good idea. I’ve been around the truck multiple times and I noticed that I didn’t see any ground straps actually hooked up anywhere. So I’ve got some now and have one put in place. The issue is better but not gone yet. I also have a NOS voltage reg to put on after I triple check all my wires and system again. I don’t want to blow this one up as I have blown 3 so far (another issue which has since been resolved).

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2023 7:24 pm 
TBI Slant 6

It’s been awhile since I’ve posted and updated. First off shame on me for something that could’ve burnt my truck down. When I wired the alternator back up and used new wire I did not put a fusible link in! Yes I know dumb me. However, I did put a voltage meter in dash so I could see actual voltage, that has already saved me once.
Now on to the updates.
I uninstalled the bolt through the place where the shunt was , yes I know again dumb me, but now have a suitable connection (thanks Dan!)
I’m noticing flicker in my lights still but I’ve yet to install the new old stock voltage reg. Also after revisiting the HEI thread and a few other threads to better educate myself, I’m running another ground from the that reg to the battery (loop is what I thought I had before). And I went back through the truck and lo and behold found some grounds that had previously been overlooked. And while I was at it removed the trailer hookup that someone had butchered up bad. And cleaned the grounds behind the tail lights. For others reading this those lights ground to the body. Might be a suitable idea to add a ground on each side while I have my electrical supplies handy! So I have found some other grounding issues as well, such as corroded terminals, loose, and plain wrong. The voltmeter was hooked up wrong but still worked good enough until I had time to fix it properly. My bulkhead connectors are bright and shiny and since I have a 60 amp alternator and I’m getting 0 resistance they can stay as is for now. I should just run wires through it but right now it’s good. I’ll try to continue updates as I do things.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2023 8:47 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Well that wasn’t fun but none the less it’s done. The flicker seems to be gone now and the voltage is steady. However, when the fan runs, lights are on, etc the voltage drops to around 12.1 :/. I worked on this truck for a long time. Two days worth of tracing, cleaning, and adding. I’m tired! I did put the new old stock voltage reg on it and all the relays as noted in the HEI thread. I have a few spare alternators so I’ll try another one known to be good. Probably wasting my time there but I have nothing to loose. I always thought the output should be 14-14.6 volts. I know 13.8-.9 is ok but that seems excessive to me to drop to around 12.1. If anyone has anything to add or ask please post up. I need all the help I can get. Btw this is a slant and a 78 d100