Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:46 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 12:24 pm 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model: 1972 valiant
This is my second module that has gone out in under 5k miles. I did the hei upgrade right, it has a its own feed directly to battery from a relay and has a good heat sink.is the stock charging no good for hei? I figured the battery should be enough filter for it. Do cheaper modules fail that fast? Maybe the ac Delco ones on e bay are garbage

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 12:44 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model: 1965 Plymouth Belvedere I
Are you also using plenty of heat sink paste between the module and the heat sink?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 1:27 pm 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Badvert65 wrote:
Are you also using plenty of heat sink paste between the module and the heat sink?
yes I built gaming PCs so used artic silver#5

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 1:35 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model: 1965 Plymouth Belvedere I
Well, that should work just fine. The only thing to worry about with your charging system is if it is overcharging. Higher voltages (over 15volts-not certain) can weaken or burn out the modules.
Quality of new parts has certainly suffered in recent years. You might try finding some 'New Old Stock' pieces from AC Delco, Accel, Mallory, or some other manufacturer. Just to see if that makes a difference.
Other than that, just make certain your grounds are good and your plug gaps are reasonable.
-Matt

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 7:13 pm 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

It's been awhile since I gapped the plugs, too big of a gap can affect the module? It has a summit 40k volt coil. If ithe module is hooked up wrong it wouldn't run correct? It starts and runs good after changing out again. I will run a second ground right to battery and keep an eye on voltage I guess

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 7:21 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
I had two Mallory 4 pin HEI modules fail. Each lasted less than 6 months. The second one was a replacement for the first one as it had a 12 month warranty. Without making any other changes I installed a genuine AC Delco HEI module 5 years ago and it has been fine.
Try getting an AC Hei from a commercial retailer like Summitt or RockAuto or a brand name auto parts store. I am usually suspect that many eBay sellers are moving rebranded / knock off parts.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:26 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
DadTruck wrote:
Mallory
…now exists in name only; under the label it's generic Chinese-made junk.

Quote:
Try getting an AC Hei

Yup, or an old-stock American-made Echlin, Standard, or other-major-brand item from Old Car Parts Northwest.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 5:00 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model: 1966 Dodge Dart
I'm seriously starting to wonder if I should try making a batch of reproduction ignition modules. They wouldn't copy the exact look of a stock Mopar piece, but I'd have no trouble getting a batch made in the USA with more modern components and smart dwell control.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:02 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
MadScientistMatt wrote:
I'm seriously starting to wonder if I should try making a batch of reproduction ignition modules. They wouldn't copy the exact look of a stock Mopar piece, but I'd have no trouble getting a batch made in the USA with more modern components and smart dwell control.

That would be great. Design in the use of some standard - commonly available pig tail wiring connection for clean and durable installations.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 3:04 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model: 1966 Dodge Dart
DadTruck wrote:

That would be great. Design in the use of some standard - commonly available pig tail wiring connection for clean and durable installations.

There are a couple options I have in mind.

1. Copy the stock Mopar connector. A bit of a challenge, may have to use flexible silicone molds or 3D printing as I don't see a source for buying these new, but it would be easy plug and play for Mopar applications.

2. 1/4" spare terminals. Relatively sturdy and familiar to both professional and amateur mechanics. And very low cost.

3. Deutch DT or Amphenol AT. Stands up to both massive vibration and repeated plugging and unplugging. This is what you'd see in the paddock on factory backed LeMans racers. Even though it's a serious racing connector, prices aren't too crazy; it would cost about as much as cloning Mopar connectors.

It's also possible I might put the module in a potting box type enclosure, put several footprints on the circuit board, and offer multiple options.