Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:55 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:47 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
I think that examples of turbo builds (supercharger and NOX as well)would be very helpfull in this Topic section, particularly for those of us who are planning to turbo but have never done it. I'm planning a first time carbureted turbo build, without an intercooler. I'm going for simplicity this first time around. Who has done this and what, specifically, did you do? Thanks!
________
MeToU

Last edited by polkat on Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:35 am 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
I'll have to agree, post up the specs, mods, and all of the tech that goes along with it. No such thing as too technical or too much info! So many articles seem to leave out that one "golden" piece of information that it makes building a similar setup maddening :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:39 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
I'm doing a turbo /6 build right now here's the link over to FABO
also theirs detailed builds on this sight
Aaron

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/sho ... p?t=126611

I hope this helps get u started!

Post subject: My Turbo Slant
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:27 am 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
Hi,
I have been collecting parts for a while and am down to just a few details before starting. I Will take photos of before during and after. It will be using a stock Slant 6 exhaust manifold that has had a Chrysler T3 flange welded to it, a T3/T4 Turbocharger with a .63 AR Chrysler Turbine housing which will bolt nicely to the manifold, a 2.5" Chrysler turbo swingvalve/outlet will channel the spent gases to a full 2.5" exhaust system, a turbo support bracket will be fabbed using the left motor mount as the attaching point.
I will be using a stock Volvo 740 intercooler and a Clifford 4 barrel intake manifold and or a super six intake manifold and a Carburetor needs to be selected. I know I will need to plumb a boost reference line to the fuel pump to compensate for the pressurized carburetor. Also a turbo specific PCV valve to keep the engines crankcase from pressurizing. It will need an oil supply/feed and return lines fabbed, and of course the plumbing of pipes from the turbo to the intercooler and to the Carburetor hat. Not sure on engine internals (if anything?)yet such as valve springs etc. I plan to run about 12-14 lbs of boost with the parts I have. I'm not making a drag car just a nice powerful street Slant. Two goals are to have about 300 Lbs/FT of torque and for the turbo add ons to look somewhat stock. The car it is planned for is a 225/904 equipped '72 Valiant which will be keeping it's 2.76 rear gear ratio. The cars cooling system has been upgraded to that of an air conditioned car so it's got a nice big radiator and shroud. Ignition is Pertronix with an MSD blaster coil. I also plan for a front disc brake conversion to compliment the added power. Wish me Luck and good luck with your Turbo Slant projects as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:27 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
http://slantsix.org/forum/viewtopic.php ... sc&start=0

Here is my turbo build. Enjoy...I sure did!!

http://www.youtube.com/c/turbo66valiant
Follow on Instagram - turbo66valiant
Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/ryan.peterson.737

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:17 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Very nice Valiant!! Is that a kit, or self built? I couldn't quite determine from the pics how that exhaust manifold is set up. Have you raced it since those posts, and what numbers did you get? Way cool!
________
Laylah

Last edited by polkat on Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:28 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
See here for some details:

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/sho ... 671&page=2

Here for some pics:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/18510442@N02/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wd6hFGzLJMc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:03 am 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
http://slantsix.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=42393

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:17 am 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
Hi,
My name is Bill Dedman. My racing partner is Fred Nielsen. We live in Central Arkansas and have been at Hot Rodding for a long time, but neither of us had ever done a /6, so with our OTHER projects somewhat complete, we decided that a turbocharged /6 wouldbe a fun project.

I had owned a 340-powered '64 Valiant in my distant past, that I really liked, so we looked for a car like that.

We found a 4-door '64 V-200, with minimal rust and very little body damage for $700.00, so we bought it.

The chassis needed the usual; drag shocks, an 8.75" rear end, disk brakes up front, a new master cylinder and lines, and some rust repair of the floorboards.

Then, we had to do the engine. I had an old friend who had a 225 /6 under his house (in a dry, fairly clean location,) and he was moving, so he GAVE it to us, complete.

I took it to a machine shop and had it cleaned up, and spotted a ported '6 cylinder head on EBAY for $700.00, complete with 1.7"/1.5" valves.

It cost me $100.00 to get it shipped from Las Vegs to Arkansas, but it turned out to be a welll-ported, crack-free never nbeen milled, STRAIGHT casting, compete with rocker arms, shafts, and pushrods.

A friend of mine DONATED a new 66mm turbo, a 50mm wastegate, and a new Spearco Intercooler for our project!

The machinist said the crank had never been turned, so we went .010"/.010" and had it balanced to the '065"-over Wiseco pistons (.167" down in the hole) and K-1 198 7.005" rods.

A Bullet turbo cam was ordered (220/220-degrees duration @ .050"-lift) with 14 degree lobe separation and .484" gross lift.

Homemade headers were built by Freddie (his first and only set) and were ceramic coated.

An Ausssiespeed long-branch HURRICANE intake mounts a 750 Holley 4150 double pumper, modified for blow-thru. A Walbro pump will pump through a Half-inch aluminum line through a Mallory fuel pressure regulator. Two inline filters will hopefully, keep the dirt out...

A new aluminum radiator and electrically-driven water pump will keep things cool...maybe.

An MSD 7-AL Digital box and Taylor plug wires will light the mixture.

A 904 with a 2.74 low gear uses a 2,500 rpm Dacco converter; a Turbo Action full manual, reverse pattern shifter/valve body does the powertrain honors. The third member is a new 3.55, but that will probably become a 2.93 with a spool, down the road.

A SnowPermance Boost Cooler (Stage I) will spray pure methanol beginning at 3 pounds of boost.

We bought a pre-fab 6 (?)-point roll bar that is supposed to fit this chassis.

We have a driveshaft loop. The driveshaft is new, and has 7290 solid U-joints.

Racing gas will be used exclusively in this strip-only car.

Lexan will replace the side windows, and the interior will be carpeted, but will have only 1 seat; a fiberglass racing bucket from Summit.

The engine and tranny are bolted to polyurethane mounts in the car and we should be able to start it and break in the cam this coming week. That is our hope.

But there are a lot of time-consuming jobs yet to be done; the fuel system has to be built; the car has to be completey wired; the roll bar needs to be installed, and the cold-side of the induction system has yet to be built. Lots of gauges to install.... and a datalogging F.A.S.T O2 monitor needs to be installed.

May see the light of day by June... We'll see.

I have to thank Tom Wolfe for taking us old duffers (I'm 72; Fred's 73) by the hand and showing us the way... without his ever-present help and excellent advice, we'd still be trying to find a cam and some pistons, much less all the other stuff! Frank Brent and Charrlie Schmid also helped us out with lots of invaluable advice and parts.

Just two old guys havin' fun with a Mopar.... :)

Last edited by billdedman on Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:02 am 
Board Sponsor & SL6 Racer

Car Model:
And I can personally atest to some of the GREAT stories these guys have about Drag Racing in the 50s and early 60s. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Frank

178" FED
82 D150
All Slant powered

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:59 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
I think one of the things to add to these builds would be your boost numbers/RPM. IE when it starts to build etc. That would weed out a lot of all the posts where people keep asking what turbo for X build. going from old posts with added boost/RPM one could narrow it down more. Almost all of the builds Ive read through in the past months (im deployed) almost none of it has this info, instead it does give HP,TQ, 1/4 mi etc. So i know its probly long forgot but these numbers would help those of us wondering.

225, Offenhauser, Holley 350, A833OD, 3:55, GM HEI,99 Durango starter
BOOSTED! WH1C, BIG FMIC, 10#
Operation Noble Eagle 03-05
Operation Iraqi Freedom 05-07
Operation Enduring Freedom 12- 13

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:16 am 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
http://www.slantsix.org/forum/viewtopic ... sc&start=0

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:11 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
I know I'm going to get hate for this one:

I'm about to build a 1 barrel boosted slant six.

Fresh tank dipped block
Stock pistons, crank, rods
Comp Cams 264s Cam w/ lifter kit
Ported and polished head with enginebuilder valves.
Blow through 1920
Exhaust manifold modified for a t28 turbo.
T28 Turbo out of a nissan silvia.
Intercooled
3" straight pipe from turbo back.
Stock fuel pump vent trick.

This is going in my gutted '65 Belvedere (aiming for 2900 lbs), a904 with quick shift and rebuild, and 2.76 gears. When it's done I will post to let everyone know how much psi can be ran, how well it runs, mpg, 1/4 mile times, and when boost hits.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:24 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: Fiat 500e
A T28? You know those are too small for a 200hp, 2.0 liter engine right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:36 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
*Sorry, its a gt28, he was making 375 whp in his 2.0l with it, and I figured it would be a good size because in the two litre it was spooling really late, like 4500 rpm

2002 Subaru OBS

1995 Lexus LS400 Race Car