Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:14 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: hx35 vs wh1c
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:50 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
has anyone tried both of these turbos? one at a time of course. i have both. wondering if the hx might spool a little faster then the wh? cant imagine cummins would replace the wh with something that wasnt better in some way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:22 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
According to this:

http://www.d-series.org/forums/forced-induction/120686-holset-turbo-specs-hy-hx-h1c-wh1c-h1e-wh1e.html

There's not much difference between the two. It would really come down to which wheels are in each turbo.

In any case, from what I can tell those are very nicely suited for use on a slant six.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:30 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
looks like some solid info there. might have to look into the "bep" housing. thank you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:48 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
found one. its a .70ar vs the .87-.89 that i have on there now. price is a little steep though. would also do away with the internal wastegate.
http://www.bullseyepower.com/products/v ... .VJpRyV4CA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:53 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
there is this one too, http://www.bullseyepower.com/products/v ... rettyPhoto
.55 ar. would be spooling just off of idle. lol. uses an internal wastegate too. i have a couple dsm turbos laying around i could pull one off of. gonna have to think about this a while.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:48 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
If you are looking at turbos I would suggest not buying anything factory Cummins , anything box stock Borg warner is better in the same size than holset. They have better bearings too .I can get them new for 650$. If you are looking at something post your build and I'll help you mach a turbo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:11 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
i already have both turbos. got them both plus rebuild kits for under $200. the h1c i have on now will allow me to push close to 40psi and still stay in the efficiency range, as will the hx35. im at 20psi now.

fwiw, stock pistons and rods, comp 264s cam, 340 valve springs, stock manifold with j-pipe, 650dp holley, hyper pak, original 3 on the tree, 3.21 gear.

wondering what turbo you would recommend for that. what would i find a stock borg warner off of that would work? looking for max power not just some low end torque.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:21 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Its not about boost# its about efficiency, on a 225 they run out of efficiency at around 22-25 psi . The cummins motor turns at 3000 rpm redline the slant is 5000 or higher. Put a drive pressure gauge on it and when the back pressure goes above 1-1 with the intake than eficiency is dropping rapidly therefore performance gains drop drasticaly and egts rise then Head gasket and pistons become endangered. The cummins using the h1c making 40 psi also makes 80psi of drive just to make 400 hp that would kill a gas motor , but the same cummins will make 50 psi and 65psi of drive and 950 hp using a s480 (80mm inducer).I made 25psi on a hx35 and didn't notice much increase in power past 20psi but when I switched to a 351cw ( bigger wheel ,later model,more HP)there were noticeable et differences over the hx at 20 psi and even more at 22, and the head gasket lasted a lot longer. Match turbo to HP goal and engine size and the motor will be happier

Ether turbo you have have no real difference.

86 d150 turbo /6.

64 valiant 4 door

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:41 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Junior wrote:
i already have both turbos. got them both plus rebuild kits for under $200. the h1c i have on now will allow me to push close to 40psi and still stay in the efficiency range, as will the hx35. im at 20psi now.

fwiw, stock pistons and rods, comp 264s cam, 340 valve springs, stock manifold with j-pipe, 650dp holley, hyper pak, original 3 on the tree, 3.21 gear.

wondering what turbo you would recommend for that. what would i find a stock borg warner off of that would work? looking for max power not just some low end torque.

You wanna sell me whichever one you don't wind up using?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:40 am 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
i actually had just tapped into my jpipe for some back pressure referencing for the carb. ill throw a gauge on there and see what it does just for $#!+ and grins. at the prices the bw's are going for i dont think im gonna change up any time soon. thats more than half of what i have into the whole project.

honestly without spending more then i have into the car and the turbo setup, im not gonna come close to a turbo that will give me a 1:1 ration with back pressure and cold side psi. it just doesnt happen that way. ill make due with what i have for now. if something better falls into my lap then we'll see down the road. everything ive read on the holsets say that they are in their efficiency range right up to 37psi. i understand its not about psi and is about efficiency. its also about cost effectiveness. if i can get close to the same performance of a $1500 turbo out of a $100 turbo im gonna go cheaper every time. i also understand you get what you pay for.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:41 am 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
forgot to mention i have a massive intercooler too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:43 am 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
Serj22 wrote:
Junior wrote:

lol. really? even after the info turbo ram just posted? if you are serious shoot me a pm on here or facebook and ill talk you out of it. lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:11 am 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
With the Holset, if you do find yourself running high drive pressure it is relatively easy and inexpensive to change out the turbine housing and/or wheel. There are a lot of tunability options that won't break the bank.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:21 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Junior wrote:
Serj22 wrote:
Junior wrote:

lol. really? even after the info turbo ram just posted? if you are serious shoot me a pm on here or facebook and ill talk you out of it. lol.
I'll pMyou on facebook. You know what turbo I'm running now... it's only a matter of time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:08 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Serj22 wrote:
You know what turbo I'm running now... it's only a matter of time.

Till you go bigger or it explodes? :lol: