Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:40 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: Turbo choice for Slant
PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:04 am 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model: Dodge D100
Hello All, First attempted post on the board so forgive my naïveté. Planning a turbo build on the 225 slant my father and I have on the stand. I’m not without some mechanical knowledge and have always had the speed bug! I’ve had fast small block fords (thanks to dads dirt track racing days) and import nitrous fed 4 cylinders, So now I’m in a slant 6 powered 1980 D100. I am a complete novice/blank slate to turbocharged systems on all engines. I’ve just begun to skim the surface of everything required to make a good smile inducing turbo slant. My question is for a street-able turbo slant set up, would a turbo that has a built in internal waste gate be optimal or would one without? Smaller Quicker spooling or larger diesel truck turbo? And many many more. Thanks for any help guys!

225 ci, Clifford Intake, boost friendly grind on CAM, ball honed bore, rings gapped for boost, much much more still needed

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:27 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model: 1966 Dodge Dart
What's your target boost and RPM range?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:25 pm 
1 BBL (New)

5500 rpm would be the goal for max boost levels. I would want to keep maximum boost levels between 10-12 lbs

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:54 am 
EFI Slant 6

I'm currently running a GT4082; it doesn't really get spooled up until 3000 RPM on an internally stock motor, but runs efficiently up to 5500 RPM without too much trouble. It might make sense to go a little smaller - Holset HX35, Garrett GT35, or something similar - but not too much smaller. Most of your internally gated turbos are going to be too small.

My next go-around is going to use more cam and minor head porting, so it's likely to be a bit of a better match for this turbo.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:42 pm 
1 BBL (New)

Thank you Matt, very good information I appreciate it. Had an unplanned knee surgery 2 weeks ago so I’ve been sidelined as of late on the build. I know on other builds it’s not about slapping on a bunch of radical performance parts and hoping for the best, it’s all about the combo making sure everything works synergistically. I just am on the ground floor when it comes to turbocharging this engine so thanks again good stuff!!! I’ll check out those turbochargers. As soon as I’m mobile the first order of business is to come up with a custom performance clutch set up for the A-833 trans in the truck, but that’s a horse of a different color all together. Also Lou, I’m open for any advice on this boosted endeavor.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:20 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
Lots of questions here. Matt, I think more cam will make it spool later, not earlier. Stock or MP 244 cam works great.

I agree try to get a well-sized turbo. A stock Buick GN turbo will spool around 2000-2500 and is very simple. Sometime take-off ones are still around.

10-12 psi max is very sensible. You will not need special parts in the engine if you are careful with the tuneup and you can make north of 300 HP. Stock 833 should be fine with no mods, but yes you will want more clutch. Look for the clutch threads here as folks have recently found some good ones (right?).

I do not plan to ever run a carb with boost, but if you do that then keep it super simple. Holley 500 carb is probably your best bet.

Lou

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:28 am 
1 BBL (New)

Thank ya sir, all good stuff! I appreciate it

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:02 am 
EFI Slant 6

My thinking with the bigger cam isn't so much to get the turbo to spool at a lower RPM as much as to get the engine to make more power in the RPM range where the turbo is spooled.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:24 am 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
MadScientistMatt wrote:
My thinking with the bigger cam isn't so much to get the turbo to spool at a lower RPM as much as to get the engine to make more power in the RPM range where the turbo is spooled.

I don't think it works quite that way. One thing that bigger cams have to make them work at higher RPMs is additional valve overlap. That overlap hurts turbo performance. Typically the 'drive' pressure in the exhaust is higher than the boost pressure so during overlap exhaust gasses get pushed into the intake. More lift can be beneficial but more duration and the overlap that comes with it is not. That's based on my limited understanding of cams and turbos. I'm sure there are others here that know a lot more than I do.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:23 am 

Car Model:
Bingo. The Drakes tried bigger/special cams in their 9 sec Simca. They went back to the MP 244...

Lou

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:42 am 
EFI Slant 6

Dart270 wrote:
Bingo. The Drakes tried bigger/special cams in their 9 sec Simca. They went back to the MP 244...

Lou

I did not know that. What turbo were they using? I've heard that the amount of overlap can depend on the turbo and the ratio of exhaust to intake pressure.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:40 am 

Car Model:
Turbonetics T60-1. Used that same one on my 68 Dart for a while and then went a bit smaller for faster spool. They had 4000 stall converter and mine is around 2500.
Would have to look up wheel sizes for the 2 versions...

Lou