Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:59 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 582 posts ]  Go to page Previous 135 36 37 38 39 Next
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2022 7:27 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
Hello Folks,
I'm sorry for the delayed report but here's the Toadracer progress in a nutshell:

Transmission:
B&M shift kit including bands adjusted
New shift cable (routed under the bellhousing this time)
Kickdown clevis flipped for floor clearance
Trans temp sensor installed in line pressure tap
Needs: finish fill and test, cable final adjustment, install and wire gauge, shift cable heat shield

Front end:
New upper and lower ball joints, tie rods, and sleeves
Installed washers on LCA pivots
Idler removed for rebuild
needs: rebuild and reinstall idler, sector support bracket welded (designed to bolt to later K-frames but this one is boxed in that area), alignment

Rear axle:
Tubes shortened, welded
All new bearings and seals installed
e-brake deleted
needs: finalize backlash, weld spring seats (set pinion angle), longer studs, modify shock mounts/spring plates, install and plumb, measure for driveshaft length

I removed the exhaust for work access so it just needs to be bolted up.

I'll try to upload a couple pictures for proof :wink:

As an aside, I had a nice time working with Adam. Despite difficult times for Lori and him, he took good care of me for the two days I was there.
10/10 would work there again 8) :lol:

"A mechanic is Somebody."
- Jim Preston

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2022 8:04 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
8)

Attachments:
IMG_1654.jpg
IMG_1654.jpg [ 24.67 KiB | Viewed 1592 times ]
683246370.jpg
683246370.jpg [ 18.83 KiB | Viewed 1592 times ]
683246102.jpg
683246102.jpg [ 20.99 KiB | Viewed 1592 times ]
683243429.jpg
683243429.jpg [ 50.33 KiB | Viewed 1592 times ]
683226979.jpg
683226979.jpg [ 27.48 KiB | Viewed 1592 times ]

- Jim Preston

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2022 8:06 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
Axle progress courtesy of Adam:

Attachments:
IMG_1657.jpg
IMG_1657.jpg [ 28.79 KiB | Viewed 1591 times ]
683246395.jpg
683246395.jpg [ 28.75 KiB | Viewed 1591 times ]

- Jim Preston

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2022 4:12 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model:
Thanks for the update. Too bad I'm so far away, and unable to contribute.
Hope everything is OK for Adam and Lori

64 Valiant Signet
64 Valiant 4dr 170

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2022 6:12 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
Thanks a bunch for all the work Joe (and Adam) and for the great report! Man, lots of work there. It should drive like braaaand new... or, well, way better!

I tried calling Adam last night to wish him and Lori well, and to check in. I feel like we should shoot for Atlanta and/or Barber, but am flexible.

Thanks again and Go Toadracer!

Lou

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:16 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model: More cars than sense...
Awesome update Joe! Thank you for all the work done, yet again!

I’m Mater
The Kentucky Poser

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:52 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
Look at those fancy name-brand suspension parts. Cheaters!

:P

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 5:50 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

SpaceFrank wrote:
Look at those fancy name-brand suspension parts. Cheaters!

:P

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I’m Mater
The Kentucky Poser

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 11:01 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

I just pulled the plug on NCM. :(

Since I already have time off from the Army, I'm gonna go anyway and get put to work by the Lemons staff. :mrgreen:

I’m Mater
The Kentucky Poser

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 8:16 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

sixinthehead wrote:
I know I should have posted this months ago, but I just want to say how much I have enjoyed working on this project with these good folks.
As I watched Toadracer out there mixing it up at NCM, I had a nice sense of accomplishment.
I feel like I've had more than my share of failure in life, so when I get a taste of success it's much sweeter.
Here was something we had found, fixed, and improved to the point that it was competing with and even beating newer and more sophisticated cars.
It was exciting to see it keep its composure over the apex at turn 12 which spun many other cars, even though it has a live axle on homebuilt spring packs.
More speed, brakes, and grip are sure to follow in time, but I was so happy to see v.1 garner awards at both outings.
An undefeated rookie season - the stuff of Hollywood dreams.
This wasn't a fantasy though: I was there.
I made some new friends, spent time with old ones, turned some bolts, scraped some undercoating, and it was great.
My thanks to everyone who contributed time, parts, funds, and moral support to make it a success.

Joe 8)

Absolutely and wholeheartedly concur with Joe!

I didn't really think about it until I read Joe's post...

I went down to Macon, GA several years ago (December 2017) to pick this car up as just a parts car for other Toads. It just happened that there was a Lemons race at Road Atlanta that same weekend (it snowed and was miserable), so I stopped by to watch the race and lend some moral support to other racers. I had the car on the trailer since I was just driving through. Eric Rood took a picture and put it on Instagram and one thing led to another...

It's pretty cool, as Joe pointed out, to take some forgotten car pulled out of a field (I had to cut some pesky vines to drag it out) and get together with other guys to pool resources and talent and then compete in wheel to wheel racing like this. I too had a nice sense of accomplishment at Sebring, NCM, and CMP.

This old Toadie has a new life as a Jen U Wine Racin' Car! And I have developed new friendships I probably never would have otherwise.

I met Adam Portman through the Lemons forum when I posted something about havin' an old car I wanted to go racin' with. He certainly wasn't a Slant 6 or even Mopar guy when we met. We are now bestest buddies. :mrgreen:

Joe Nelson and I have gotten really close over the last couple years. We had met briefly at a couple Slant 6 races, but this joint venture has really brought us closer. We even talk about stuff what ain't even got nuthin' to do with cars! :shock: :lol:

Jason Ernst and I had met briefly once or twice when I lived in Georgia around 2002-2004. I pestered him and Lou enough that they finally let me race with them at a Lemons race at Barber Motorsports Park in Birmingham, AL in 2018. That was the year the air cleaner bolt broke and went through most of the cylinders before I got there. They felt sorry for me and sent me out on track running on about 4 cylinders. I got about 45 minutes of really slow track time before I had to call it quits because I was getting overwhelmed by the smoke fumes in the car. Jason is generous to a fault, letting me race his car a couple more times and even let me vouch for and invite Adam into the fold.

Everbuddy knows them other fellers what's been racin' with us. They post on here more than I do! :shock: :lol:

We've had crew support too! Norm Foster, Brad Padgett and Brett Padgett came and helped out at Barber one year when we were racing Jason's Valiant. Then in 2021 when we finished ToadRacer and went all the way down to Sebring, FL we had Charlie Schmid there (in a kilt! :mrgreen: ) along with my wife, Angie and Adam's girlfriend, Lori. At NCM Brian Mimken's Dad joined us, along with several other folks like Adam's cousin Joe, my son Chase and my other son's roommate Brad. Mr. Mimken enjoyed it so much he signed on as a sponsor of sorts.

We didn’t get the car ready in time for NCM this year, so we’re shootin’ fer Barber 2023.

I’m Mater
The Kentucky Poser

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 8:35 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model:
Rob Simmons wrote:
sixinthehead wrote:
Then in 2021 when we finished ToadRacer and went all the way down to Sebring, FL we had Charlie Schmid there (in a kilt! :mrgreen: )
:P :P

64 Valiant Signet
64 Valiant 4dr 170

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 10:49 am 

Car Model:
Lovely thoughts and writing, Rob. Joe's words are powerful also, of course. I am priviledged to be part of this team. Here's to more fun in 2023!

I will DEFINITELY have some time in winter/spring to come to KY and help with further Toadracer development. Life at home has stabilized for me now (Yay!), so I can predict things better. I can also host the car here in VA again, if we decide that makes sense.

Lou

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:08 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

A little update on things...

We plan to run the Lemons race at Barber in February.

Adam has the Ford 8.8 installed and picked up the new driveshaft last week. I think he just has a couple steering things to finish up before he plans to road test it.

I’m Mater
The Kentucky Poser

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:11 am 

Car Model:
Woohoo! If the weather's nice, I'll drive a Slant car there... Looking forward to it!

Lou

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:45 pm 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

We had a team Zoom meeting recently to discuss plans for the Barber race. This past Saturday I even got to hang out with Adam and Joe! :mrgreen:

They were doing some final checks and tweaks. It looks like all systems are go for Barber. Adam plans to do some spirited street driving this week to confirm things before we pay the fees to seal the deal.

I've been watching Barber Motorsports Park driving tutorials on YouTube to see if it will help me lower my lap times (especially through that darned corkscrew I can't seem to get the hang of...)

We've got some added power from Lou's new engine, the upgraded 8.8 with disc brakes, transmission shift kit, and upgraded/renewed front steering/suspension... I'll bribe the judges to overlook that schtuff... :lol:

I’m Mater
The Kentucky Poser

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 582 posts ]  Go to page Previous 135 36 37 38 39 Next