Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:08 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:43 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
We had a great time at CMP this weekend with the '64 Dart. Huge thanks to Lou (Dart270) and the other guys on the E30/6 team. He adjusted our valve lash on Saturday evening during the break and improved our power by about 50%. We had apparently set it cold after putting the head back on in January and then forgot to check on it later, and a couple of the valves were so tight they were probably floating. That was a rookie mistake after reading this forum for so long, but we had so much to get done it slipped my mind.

Anyway, we were almost the slowest car on track, but we stayed out all weekend without any major mechanical issues and finished with 173 laps. We beat a group of guys with a 1964 Ford Fairlane to win the Class of '64 trophy. It was a hell of a lot of fun both on and off the track.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/lemons-southern-discomfort-the-winners/

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Escape-Velocity-Racing/435545929854089

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:04 pm 
Site Admin

Car Model: 2023 Eichman Digger?
Nice tie! :lol:

Sounds like a fun time!

Too old and worn out to do road courses anymore, but I'd love to get some seat time one of these days.

How about it Josh? Shall we put one together? I have a nice Redline triple DCOE that takes about 90% of the car budget... :lol:

CJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:15 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model: 1964 Dart 270
Definitely sounds like fun, like the rims.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:19 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: Fiat 500e
I've been wanting a road racing fix. There is a 4 door '64 Valiant in the neighborhood with a 170 as a matter of fact. Tripple Webers would get us a lot of BS laps. Modifying an iron manifold to take an Autolite 2bbl and putting the money into torsion bars and such is the way to go. I have a set of Enginebuilder valves and springs on hand, cam core, double roller timing set and oil pump. I would want a 225 though. I would also hack up the stock exhaust manifold and run a long Y pipe. Could be a lot of fun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:56 pm 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
Glad you guys had fun, Frank, and wonderful to see the car on track. Thanks again for letting me drive it too! Hope you had a smooth trip home.

Let me know if I can help with anything else. I LOVE Slanted '64 Darts...

Lou

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:23 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
You're very welcome, Lou. We all appreciated the help. I don't know when, but we definitely need to get back to your neck of the woods again. The 1000-mile tow is the only downside!

Josh, as long as you show up with an early A-body powered with a normally aspirated Slant 6, I don't think the judges are even going to ask how much you spent. Nothing major broke on the Dart, and Judge Phil still gave us a $2 residual value after the race just because he wanted to see us go faster.

Which brings me to the questions you guys can definitely help with. We have about 5 weeks until our next race (Eagles Canyon Raceway near Dallas), and we would definitely like to keep up with the pack this time. We have a $498 budget, and I doubt they would care much if we broke it, but we'd like to keep in the spirit of the race. Also, money is still money and I'm about to close on a house. :)

The first things on the list are front and rear sway bars. We have brand new FirmFeel Road Race springs, and we were still spinning the inside tire on hard right-handers all weekend. Any suggestions for what to use? Keep in mind that '76 and earlier junkyard cars are hard to find locally. We'd like to upgrade the torsion bars as well, but that will probably have to wait until after the next race.

Second thing is a new carburetor. The progressive Weber DGV was just not sufficient, even when it wasn't starving for fuel after long stretches at WOT due to the required fuel regulator. It's also a huge pain in the ass to tune. I'd like a good, simple, synchronous 2-bbl that I can bolt up to our super six intake. What's the best choice?

Last thing is to open up the exhaust. At this point, I plan to just cut the stock manifold and make my own Dutra Duals. Replace our stock 1-3/4" pipe with a pair of... what, 2" pipes? 2-1/4"? Luckily, everything south of the manifold is budget-exempt in LeMons for safety reasons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:37 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
Quote:
Keep in mind that '76 and earlier junkyard cars are hard to find locally.

Where in Houston are you? Ever been to Pasdena? :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:52 am 

Car Model:
BBD carb is easiest and best, although I think your weber worked fine after all. Holley 500 2bbl would be next upgrade on an Offy or Clifford, or hogged out/modified stock 2bbl intake. Opening or dualing the exhaust will help a lot - do that.

Don't waste time/money on a rear sway bar.

You are going to run into oiling problems also. Pull oilpan and add baffles and widen/deepen sump. Speedway motors sells cheap kickout boxes and kits I just found.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Small-Blo ... ,3512.html
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Oil-Pan-B ... ,1763.html

Bulge would go on pass side - careful of running into drag link of steering. Make sure oil pickup is right on the bottom of the pan and in the middle or toward the pass side and not too far back.

Also, for the love of Pete, get an oil pressure gauge in there.

Ciao, Lou

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:37 am 
Board Sponsor & SL6 Racer

Car Model: 65 Valiant 2Dr Post
Lou , did you guys race also? How did you do?

Rick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:56 am 

Car Model:
Fun weekend, but mediocre race performance. Once again we could not keep the car on the track continuously and only managed 220 laps (leaders had 360). Chicken $#!+ fuel line leaks and electrical problems mostly, and a cooked rear halfshaft. Spun a rod bearing about 1.5 hrs before the end of the race. Need better oilpan, which I am working on. Best lap (on skinny old tires - 185/60-14s) was 2:05.4. Car drove great when we were out there.

Lou

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:59 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
Awesome job. I am really digging the car. It looks sweet. I can't wait to get my car back on the road and hit a road course or 2.

Lou do you have any drawings of pictures of the extended oil pan with the baffles. I have been wanting to do this to my pan but not sure where to place the baffles for a car that will see the curves unlike a straight line drag car.