Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:52 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: La Carrera Pan America
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:21 pm 
Board Sponsor & SL6 Racer

Car Model:
Im in.....have the wheels....some experience....and plenty of desire.

My wife says she will fly in to someplace past America , Sonora and Sinaloa. (Likely Manzanillo or Acapulco) . She rode back from Cabo with me and gets it. 700 miles a day gets it. Military checkpoint gets it.

I have never driven further south than Michoacan....but am eager for more.

Chime in. .....but please .....if you have not been south of the Border in the past 2 years save your dire warnings for your book club.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:44 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 76 D100
I can't go, but I am jealous and wish I could go! Sounds like an awesome trip.

Pictures or it didn't happen!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:05 pm 

Car Model:
To be clear....I am referring to the Highway not the modern very expensive race.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:05 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model: 75 Dart SE (2),75 Swinger, 74 Dart Sport,91 Ram RV
Geez! When you said DeSoto, you meant DeSoto! Is that the 20 mpg car? Amazing for the weight. Nothing says "I'm unique' like a guy (and wife) in a DeSoto! Thanks for showing us how to be unique. As Kermit the Frog says, "It's not easy, being green..."
:D :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:03 pm 

Car Model:
Edgar is and always has been an interesting vehicle. I bought him in 1972 or 73 for $125 in an estate sale. I drove for a year and a half with a letter from a lawyer till the estate was probated (or something)

My wife and I are not actually interested in being any more unique than we are. We just do what we want and see how it rolls. We are actually pretty reclusive people from a remote place.

Edgar is just a car....,my daily driver. We went to the store today. We drove home from Mexico last week. After 3 weeks in a car it is just a car....could be any car.

Yes ....20mpg at 70 mph average. You can thank EFI and overdrive transmissions for that. The weight is less relevant than the aero.

Now.....about Carrera PanAmerica....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:00 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model: More cars than sense...
Hey Sandy,

I would love to go!!

I haven't been South of the border in many years and my Spanglish is very rusty, but I would definitely be interested in a trip like that.

I don't know when I will make it back to the states or where I will wind up when I do...

What sort of time frame are you looking at?

I’m Mater
The Kentucky Poser

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:14 am 
Supercharged

Car Model: Fiat 500e
I last drove from Portland to San Felipe 3.5 years ago. I wanted more time, more local experience. My '54 Dodge pickup likely isn't the most comfortable choice, but I have it and it's getting closer to ready.

I would like to do the race, but the entry fee is $9500 and that's less than half of what I'd expect to spend as I don't have a prepared (roll cage and such) race car. So that bucket list item will have to wait.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:07 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
This sounds amazing. 2016 may not work for me due to other fun roadtrips and Bonneville for me, but who knows... 2017??

Love the pic. Say hi to Denise and thanks again for the wonderful hosting at Chez S+D in August!

Warmest wishes,

Lou

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:59 am 

Car Model:
I usually go south in Nov = Dec because the weather is terrible here and the business can let me go. After the rainy season is good.

This years trip was a warmup for the trip I really want to do.....Mexico , Belize, Guatamala, Honduras , Panama, Costa Rica. The Dream would be Patagonia but for now that is out of reach for me. Money and the Darien Gap are the limiting factors.

I speak little Spanish but have learned that it is far more important to be able to communicate than to speak the language. Even if you speak Spanish the local dialects are so varied that you end up in the same place as if you only know the basics. The key is to be as polite and earnest as possible. When we are south we only use Spanish and pesos.....

The model for travel I would suggest is to rendezvous rather than convoy. That allows differing vehicles to travel together ...yet leaves noone waiting, dawdling or overdriving. The faster vehicles get longer in each location and slower vehicles get to travel at a more comfortable pace. De and I allow for less than 800 pesos per night for travel....less than 120 pesos per big meal. We are almost always under 1000 pesos per day for accomodation and meals. That leaves fuel. (about 2000 pesos a day for Cuota or Interstate travel....much less for slower highways and gentle days)

Josh your pickup would be fine. ....and San Felipe is an excellent training ground for anyone contemplating going south. Safe clean and non touristy....spanish and pesos.

Lou: De says hi back and says she would fly with and help Christine (or other flyins) join up for whatever length of time is desired.

Rob.....Wayne.....you can always fly in and ride shotgun. My friend Jack rode down with me this year...I met him in Utah...he flew home from La Paz. De flew into Los Cabos and rode back.

Timeline....route.... participants.....are all open as far as Im concerned. But be warned....Central America is not an all inclusive. Things can be uncomfortable. Some things are never understood. You will be challenged.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:24 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model: More cars than sense...
You're making it too easy Sandy! :lol:

How long do you think your next trip will take?

I am saving my leave up for a potential retirement in the next year, but if I retire and can't find a real job I may be available and in need of a relaxing vacation...

sandy in BC wrote:
Things can be uncomfortable. Some things are never understood. You will be challenged.

I can handle that part. :wink: 8)

I’m Mater
The Kentucky Poser

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:02 am 
Supercharged

Car Model: Fiat 500e
Sandy,

I was thinking about the rendezvous idea myself as I don't think 123 net (140 gross) horsepower from the 241 poly is going to reliably push the pickup past 70 MPH for extended periods.

My wife really enjoys Belize and Guatemala so she would likely want to connect there or even Costa Rica.

I approach this as an adventure or expedition as much as a vacation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:26 am 

Car Model:
Quote:
I approach this as an adventure or expedition as much as a vacation.

Thats exactly our approach. Sometimes its hard work. Some times its relaxing. You must be ready for both.

Rob: I dont know how long it would take....likely not long enough.

Lets not start with limitations ....lets start with zeal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:47 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
THat's just cool.

Love the 'DeSoto Sandy!

You and the family Look waaay better in that than the 93 Chevy / Olds / Buick wagon with 40 ' poles strapped to the roof.

Keep on slantin and desotoing!

Greg

Post subject: The Time of My Life!
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:31 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model: '64 Valiant Convertible
I co-drove with my friend Drew in 1991. It's too long ago to speak to any perceived security issues, but it was a hoot for sure! Our car, and even me (for about 1 second at the 12 minute mark) ended up in Pink Floyd's movie about the experience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FxdXY7GIrg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:03 pm 

Car Model:
Very cool Neil!

My car would have to compete in Turismo Major the highest/fastest class and because of that would need a full on cage and seats.,,,,and switch from EFI to a carb. Im just not willing to do this to my daily driver.

.......however travelling in the spirit of the Pan American Highway and the original race is very obtainable.....

I see the highway as extending far beyond the race course and its schedule. It includes Canada, America, Mexico and deliciously .....beyond. Driving the Blue Mountains on a sheet of ice last week was certainly as challenging as any race course.....as the casualties in the ditch will attest.....