Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:01 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 582 posts ]  Go to page Previous 133 34 35 36 3739 Next
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2022 3:20 pm 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model: More cars than sense...
Set up & waitin’ on them other fellers to git here so’z we kin go racin’!

Update from Lou that he’s still a couple hours away cruisin’ ToadRacer down from Blacksburg, VA convoying with Greg in his 64 Dart towing his Valiant trailer.
All is good!

I’m Mater
The Kentucky Poser

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2022 6:00 pm 
Board Sponsor & SL6 Racer

Car Model: 65 Valiant 2Dr Post
Good Luck guys! Have fun. And with you guys having all that Slant 6 power in one place down there, how about dragging it up to Mason Dixon and racing with us. Rick

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 11:43 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model: 68 Valiant
Hope you guys are having fun. I listened to Yo Bassa last night just for Greg. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:39 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

CMP was fun.

ToadRacer was driven to the race from Blacksburg, VA (about 250 miles). That was a good break in and shake down for the new Slant 6 engine.

Testing Friday was great! Two of us had never been to CMP before, so it was good to get on track and try things out before the race.

Taking the kink at full throttle in a 60 year old Mopar on sticky tires is SO much fun!!

Saturday started off pretty good with the best lap time of 2:00.xxx. The new engine probably has about 30-40 more HP than the first one.

Then we had rear brake issues a couple times... worked through that...

Then the little 7 1/4 differential started complaining (about taking the kink at full throttle...)... Keep going, it'll be fine...

Then Deja Vu hit!!

Barber 2018 was my first Lemons race driving a 64 Valiant Signet. They were leading class on Saturday until the air cleaner bolt snapped and went through 5 of the 6 cylinders, eventually putting a hole in #2 piston.

My stint was close to the bitter end with the #2 pushrods removed and the car running on maybe 4 cylinders. I lasted about 45 minutes until the burning oil and smoke fumes became too much to bear...

This time the nut we added to keep the stud in place only went through 1 and 6 and was caught before catastrophic damage was done. We removed the head, verified we could still go on, replaced one valve and she fired back to life. Ready to hit the track again.

Unfortunately, the part we knew to be the weakest link proved us right. The little 7 1/4 differential with a sure-grip (try finding one of those these days) turned into a spool with nerve shattering clunking.

It was at that point we decided to call it a day.

I guess we need to quit talking about upgrading the differential and actually do it now.

See you at NCM in September!

That's ToadRacer in a nutshell.

I’m Mater
The Kentucky Poser

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:05 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
It seems that there was some tremendous development done on the car since the NCM Race in 9/21.

The Car was Driven to the Event from Blacksburg Va...
There was a test day on Friday, which was wildly Successful..
There was block party and parade in Camden SC.
We swapped some War Stories with the Bob and Frank from the EVR Team fielding the '64 Dart.
People Rode on the car as Rob Guided through the kink in the parade route at less than 5 Mph.
Work Was done, Fuel Filled, Spark Plugs checked, Valves lashed, Brake Pads replaced...
We found some tires for sale...Bought 'em too. Lou was doing his best Bibendum Impersonation..
This little nut ruined our day a bit, We got it fixed, but the Rear Axle was burning brake shoes and locking up as the diff was going bad.

Greg

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 4:32 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Great Photos,
Look for better luck next time out, I bet you all still had fun.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:24 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

It had its moments... :wink:

I’m Mater
The Kentucky Poser

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 8:29 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

I ordered more parts & tools for ToadRacer & Off-Kilter Racing...

Firm Feel makes several neat parts for Mopars. They ain't cheap, but if you're looking to upgrade/improve your handling they have some cool stuff.

They make an idler arm roller bearing conversion kit to upgrade your idler arm and take out slop ($185). The one on ToadRacer is a tad on the sloppy side and we're looking for every advantage we can get for Lemons DOMINATION! Or we just need to replace the idler arm & I wanted to spend money for no apparent good reason. Time will tell...

They also make a sector support kit for the Pitman arm side of things. It's a planetary bearing and support bracket to help remove flex from the pitman arm. Same reasoning as the paragraph above on why I just spent another $165...

The third item to upgrade the steering/handling on ToadRacer is stepping up from 9/16" to 11/16" seamless billet tie rods. We haven't had issues with with that yet, but another upgrade because we do ask a lot from the steering on this car. That one tipped the scales at $192 from Vivid Racing.

At our last race at Carolina Motorsports Park (CMP) in South Carolina we ran some higher offset wheels and larger tires for one stint. Unfortunately, the front tires were a tad close to the fender lip and, with hard braking and turning, they became too well acquainted. So I ordered a fender lip rolling tool so we can help that situation the right way instead of taking a sledge hammer to the fender lip.

Adam and Joe have the lead on the Ford 8.8, shift kit, transmission temperature gauge, and front suspension voodoo.

If time and interest allow, Lou would like to upgrade to TBI before our next race at the National Corvette Museum (NCM) in Bowling Green, KY at the end of September.

I've put a little more effort into our theme and preparing a bribe for the judges at NCM as well...

That's Lemons in a nutshell... :mrgreen:

I’m Mater
The Kentucky Poser

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:34 am 

Car Model: 68 Valiant
Look at the bright side, once you get those bearings you can post the bearing numbers and everyone else can get them for $35 from Motion. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:29 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

:lol: :lol: :lol:

There's just a tad more to it than the bearings, but you're probably right...

Probably ain't gonna help nuthin' nohow... :roll: :lol:

Attachments:
Idler Arm Kit.JPG
Idler Arm Kit.JPG [ 90.66 KiB | Viewed 3950 times ]

I’m Mater
The Kentucky Poser

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:50 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

I've ordered all of the rebuild parts for the 8.8 Explorer axle Adam is putting in ToadRacer.

I also ordered a passenger seat to match the driver seat. We will make it easily removable for Lemons races. Having a passenger seat and harnesses will make it better to participate in High Performance Driving Events (HPDE) and track days.

Oh yeah,... I also purchased the bribes for the NCM race... They're on their way from... Scotland!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I’m Mater
The Kentucky Poser

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 6:11 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Angie and I are spending the weekend up on Grandfather Mountain, NC at the Highland Games.

Chase and Chrislyn are here with us too. Angie’s red hair and Chase’s bushy beard fit right in here.

I’m learning more about the Scottish ways and even discovered a lineage connection through my Welsh/Cornish ancestry.

Fun stuff!! :mrgreen:

I’m Mater
The Kentucky Poser

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 6:35 am 

Car Model:
Super fun! Aiieee me laddie.... Throw a caber for me. ;)

Lou

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 7:29 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

I looked at my updated DNA results and was pleasantly surprised to see that it has gotten more specific over the last 20 years when I first did it...

Turns out I AM Scottish!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Attachments:
Ancestry DNA.JPG
Ancestry DNA.JPG [ 20.44 KiB | Viewed 3913 times ]

I’m Mater
The Kentucky Poser

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 12:07 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
Rob Simmons wrote:
I looked at my updated DNA results and was pleasantly surprised to see that it has gotten more specific over the last 20 years when I first did it...

Turns out I AM Scottish!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Welcome Laddy!
I'm Scottish Irish Norwegian and Swedish. But mostly Scottish.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 582 posts ]  Go to page Previous 133 34 35 36 3739 Next