Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:20 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 582 posts ]  Go to page Previous 132 33 34 35 3639 Next
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:16 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Rob Simmons wrote:
Greg Ondayko wrote:
I am an SCCA member.

You gotta autox car ready?

Greg

I ain't got no cars at all... :(

All my junk (except ToadRacer) is 10 hours away...

I mentioned to Angie that her 2020 Civic would be a great autocross car... THAT ain't happenin'! :lol:

Hodor (Ram 3500 quad cab, long bed, 4X4) ain't quite suited to it...

Well your assignment is close enough to toad racer, why not use it in SCCA CAM-T?

There is a local Auto X Site about 5 Miles from my house on an airstrip and about 40 miles from Lou's House.

We could make a weekend out of it.

Greg

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:53 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model: More cars than sense...
I'm down with that! :mrgreen:

I’m Mater
The Kentucky Poser

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 1:55 pm 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

I checked the NC SCCA website. Closest events are 2.5 hours away. They do most of their stuff at VIR.

I’m Mater
The Kentucky Poser

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 7:08 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

CMP is just 2 weeks away! The database closes in a week, so if you wanna come out and see what this stuff is all about you’d better let me know if ya wanna sign up as an official crew member!

Here’s the current Off-Kilter Racing roster:

Drivers:
Lou Madsen
Brian Mimken
Adam Portman
Greg Ondayko
Jason Ernst
Rob Simmons

Crew:
Angie Simmons
Lori Lastovich
Charlie Schmid
Joe Greenwell

Since we are cashing in our free entry from winning Index Of Effluency (IOE) at the National Corvette Musem (NCM) race in Bowling Green, KY we all get in for FREE!! That’s a savings of $2,400 so far.

A weekend pass is $30. Crew fee is $75. If you sign up as crew for this race the weekend fee is $0!

We ain’t found no bagpipe player yet… and we can always use help in the pits… Or just more folks to share the fun with.

There’s gonna be a parade and block party in Camden, SC Friday evening at 6:00 PM. It’s a great time to dress and act silly with a bunch of other crazies! Bring some plaid (Scottish Black Watch material preferred) or some kinda frog stuff and join us!

I’m Mater
The Kentucky Poser

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 4:27 pm 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model:
Getting ready for CMP. Have a complete running spare 225 with 904. Engine has 150-160 cranking lbs. 30 psi @idle, and 60 @ 1500 rpm. .43x lift cam, dur unknown, 340 valve springs, positive valve seals. Sounds real good, no smoke, no blowby. Trans goes first and reverse, clean fluid. Wired trailer light harness, on my diplomat, to tow my utility trailer to CMP. I would like to install air shocks, but having trouble finding a set.

64 Valiant Signet
64 Valiant 4dr 170

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 6:53 pm 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Woo Hoo! Thanks Charlie!

I’m Mater
The Kentucky Poser

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2022 6:47 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
Update on Toadracer tuning/development:

Took the car for a 12 mi ride yesterday eve and idled/ran it for another 20 min or so. All is looking good! No leaks or smoke I can see. Temp stable under all conditions, right around 190F. Did a timing check and pulled the dist to readjust the bottom plate so it is centered and we can have some adjustment room. Timing was about 45 deg when I checked at first, hence the WOT misfiring and sluggishness earlier. Now the total timing is 29-30 deg and looks rock solid with the timing light. Idle is good, although it dropped a bit with the engine hot (even fiddling with idle mixture), so I need to do a hot lash job. I will start with 0.026”/0.030” as has worked will with this cam in the past. Mopar Performance spec was 0.028”/0.032”, but it can take bit less. Oil pressure is borderline perfect, settling to 56-60 psi hot at 2500+ RPM. It drops down to 25 psi at low idle (~600 RPM) and hot, which is fine. It will be lower after long hot track sessions, but still that will be fine. I jetted down the 350 carb to 57s and it is now too lean. The 45 deg timing created the misfire/rich issue before, I am pretty sure, so I’ll go back up to 60 jets and try again. I kept RPM below about 3500 for the test drive since motor is breaking in. Pulls fairly strong and starts to come alive around 2500-3000. I will at least get 50 mi on it before spinning it higher, and of course we’ll have the 200 mi trip down to finish break in. Maybe change oil when I get there…

I was worried about cops, but I guess I shouldn’t so much… I passed not one, not two, but FOUR cop cars in the first 5 miles of the 12 mi drive, and that was with the car still full of fire extinguishers, gas cans, metal parts, and me not remembering how the turn signals worked until after I saw all the cops. WHEW. The fire extinguishers were really sliding and banging around on even modest corners, so I stopped on a back road, emptied the whole passenger compartment into the trunk and hard slammed the trunk shut. I figure I unloaded 200+ lbs of parts+tools once I got back to the house. Should be a snappier feel on the next drive, tomorrow or Sat.

Fueling is super easy now, and I dumped 2 cans (11 gals) of 93 octane in without spilling more than 2-3 drops! I will take it to the station and top it off this weekend. Nice work Adam!!! It’s great to be able to see the fuel going into the huge translucent hose (um, nice hose, Adam) so we can stop filling before it spills out.

Shifter needs a slight adjustment as it now is slightly off the gates and sometimes it hunts to find 2nd or 3rd with shifter in the “D” detent.

I will finally get the Kumho 245/45-17 tires mounted on the 17X8 rims. I plan to take the 28” tall tires off the 34 Coupe and run those on the back on the way down to drop the hwy RPM.

In other news, I have now tested most of the systems (and corrected my errors) for the MP-EFI (MS3X) on Project V, so maybe I can start that and get it off the lift this weekend. Would be nice to look under Toadracer for any danglies and start the TBI fuel system install… Yes, I plan to do 4 wheel weights before I leave too.

Oh, I found an unmolested and unworn stock alt bracket and will install that and make sure the belt/pulleys are aligned. I will also go to a shorter belt (56 or 56.5") instead of the longer one (57.5") we were forced to buy as a replacement at NCM.

That's all for now!
Lou

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2022 7:46 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model:
Sounds great, Lou.
Update on my efforts. Found a set of air shocks for the diplomat. I think the last set in existance. They should be here on Fri. As soon as the rain stops, I will load the spare engine/trans, on the trailer, and get the shocks installed. Have the trans brace, for Frank, head gaskets for Lou and Rick. Also spare gaskets for "toad racer". Anything else I should bring? Let me know, ASAP, as I need to be packed and ready by Tue evening. I plan on leaving Fl. on Thur morning, and Wed is a "dead" day for me.

64 Valiant Signet
64 Valiant 4dr 170

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:08 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Whoo hoo. Gettin' it done! Sounds great guys!
Are those the last FJM Body Airshocks Available? - I installed a set on the '79 Disco Wagon a few years back - I don't remember the part # however..

What part # did you use?

Greg

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:16 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model:
Greg Ondayko wrote:
Are those the last FJM Body Airshocks Available?

What part # did you use?

Greg

As far as I know, last set. Most places didn't even have a listing. O'riely called Monroe, and they said discontinued. Napa found this set in a "out of state" store. When I went to pay for them, the counter guy, said "not available". I told him they were already ordered, and he double checked, and confirmed the order, and delivery date of 4-15-22.
Part number MA-750

64 Valiant Signet
64 Valiant 4dr 170

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:40 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Charrlie_S wrote:
Greg Ondayko wrote:

Part number MA-750

Cool, See you soon.

Well if originality is not a concern, FirmFeel Makes nice conversion Plates to get rid of the isoclamps and then I believe you can run A/B/E Body Shocks.

Greg

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2022 10:45 am 
Supercharged

Car Model: 80 volare, 78 fury 2 dr, 85 D150
I've always had better luck with Gabriel shocks than Monroe on my own stuff.
As far as air shocks I remember putting in many sets of Hi Jackers back in the day of working at Sears auto center.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2022 10:49 am 
Supercharged

Car Model: 80 volare, 78 fury 2 dr, 85 D150
Wish I'd have thought of it sooner. The "late B body" stuff (non police/taxi) takes the same rear shocks as the F M J does, I have a 78 fury and an 80 volare. When I did power tour back in 09 I bought a set of air shocks for the fury in Bristol and put em in in the parking lot of bristol speedway the last day before heading back home.
Last year I replaced the original sagged out springs and put conventional shocks on the back. There weren't many miles on those air shocks. Maybe 15k. I'll have to check if I still have them.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 10:48 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

The CMP race is THIS weekend!!

We’re gonna have a blast!

Parade and block party in Camden, SC is Friday at 6:00 PM if ya wanna come out and see the craziness of Lemons folks!

I’m Mater
The Kentucky Poser

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 11:22 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Looking forward to it.

Greg

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 582 posts ]  Go to page Previous 132 33 34 35 3639 Next