Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:38 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 7:46 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Just registered for the Indy SCCA Autocross event at the Grissom Autoplex on Sunday July 10.

This will be my first Autocross event as a participant. Will find out what this is all about.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:47 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Have fun
Be sure to walk the track plenty before you make your first run. If you end up like me and are too aggressive you will have some course offs when you miss a gate or the track.
My dyslexia mixes me up on what side of the cones to drive on sometimes too.

As a novice they should give you an extra Run.
Also be prepared with hat/ sun gear/water/ rain gear etc.. for your working stints.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 6:45 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
Yeah, have fun!

Make sure you have good tire pressure. I would start with 36 psi cold in all 4 tires and see how far over the tires "roll". You can see a wear line on the outer edge of the tire, and/or you can mark a stripe (w/grease/paint pen) across the edge and see where the paint gets worn off. Make sure you have a way to put a number and class on your car (suggestion: 3M blue masking tape or stick on numbers). Just a couple of thoughts that you probably know about...

Slow in, fast out.

Lou

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 11:36 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Greg, Lou
Thanks. Already have the tires on 38 PSI, that is up from the 35 that I had previously. Going around the block I can feel they are a lot firmer.
I will know more by this time tomorrow.
Speaking with the local SCCA event leader, I mentioned to him that I have no intention of going for a class championship. I just want to learn more about myself and the car.
He offered that the local chapter is very active with many different levels of commitment.
This will be interesting.

And M told me today that she plans on going with me on Sunday, to see what it is like and to take photos.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 1:34 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 80 volare, 78 fury 2 dr, 85 D150
Does this class allow riders? Of so, let er ride along

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 3:24 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Quote:
allow riders?

it does
she may

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 4:52 am 
Board Sponsor & SL6 Racer

Car Model: 65 Valiant 2Dr Post
Have fun!! :D

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 6:15 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
My First Autocross:
* The Grissom Autoplex where the Indy SCCA runs their Solo events is about an hour north of Indy, an easy drive up US 31.
* The Barracuda ran great up and back, had the AC on during the trip back and it worked fine.
* Did a two course walks, one by myself and one with four other novices, the group was lead by an experience driver and he gave insight on where he would have the car on each section.
* I got six runs in. In order: 106.123, 96.587, 92.510, 82.905, 82.756, 79.061 got a bit quicker on each run, no penalties for hitting a cone or DNF for getting off course. Just working up to how much I can accelerate and where to brake.
* Had an issue with fuel splashing out of the filler cap on hard turns. I still have the OE gas cap on and the seal is dried and cracked. Got a tip from a fellow driver to put a pad of paper towels under the cap and snap it closed. Each run after that the pad was fuel soaked, but it absorbed the fuel and the corner workers reported that fuel was no longer spilling out. So I just swapped in a dry paper towel pad after each run. I have a new replacement cap, I need to find that and get it installed.
* There were 99 cars total and 9 in the CAM T group that I drove in. I ended up in 9th, the 8th place car was a 2004 Mustang and it ran 60.386 I really have no qualms about that. My first time out and the CAM T group is very tough group. About the only requirement is the vehicle must be of manufacture between 1948 and 2000. There are lots of modifications possible. The fastest of the CAM T cars was 4th over all out of 99 cars, and there were 6 CAM T cars in the top 44 overall. I am really there to have another experience with the car and to grow my driving skills.
* Had a great time. A lot of folks stopped by to check out the new car at the event. The 68 Barracuda was the only MOPAR car on the grounds. Met a lot of nice folks. Lined up next to a couple of guys about my age, one had a '68 Camero that he has owned since he was 17, another guy had a really nice 65 Mustang. That was just two of the memorable folks.
* There is a CAM Challenge scheduled for the Grissom Autoplex on August 12, 13 and 14. That will be a regional Autocross event. It was mentioned that event will bring in the top CAM autocross cars in the Midwest. There are also autocross driving seminars on the schedule. I am putting that on the calendar.

Attachments:
071022 Autocross 1.jpg
071022 Autocross 1.jpg [ 95.03 KiB | Viewed 1294 times ]
071022 Autocross 2.jpg
071022 Autocross 2.jpg [ 95.86 KiB | Viewed 1294 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 8:35 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Awesome report.

Greg

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 5:17 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
Thanks for the nice report. Sounds like you had fun, which is the main thing! Yep, Mopars are very scarce at autoXes.

Lou