Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:45 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 3:51 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 76 D100
OK, I am replacing the chrome lockstrip around the rear window on my Ramcharger. I first tried it without the lockstrip tool. No luck. I now have the tool and am not having any better luck, but now I am also tearing up the plastic lock strip.

Is there a preferred lockstrip installation tool? The opening on the tool that looks like it would fit the profile on my locstrip is just small enough that it shears the edges of the lockstrip when I tried to slide it. Did I just get a bum casting from whatever Chinese factory makes these things? Or should I just get a different tool?

Anybody know of a good tutorial video on how to use one of these?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 10:31 am 
Supercharged

Well, if history teaches us one thing, it is that brute force and ignorance can, and often does, overcome skill and accuracy. If history teaches us two things, the second is that one should always verify the accuracy of services and products provided by others.

I was able to use the lockstrip tool I bought to fight the lockstrip into place. It looks much better than the faded old lockstrip.

I did discover the cause of my problems. AFTER installation, I compared the profiles of the old original lockstrip and the new lockstrip LMC truck sells as fitting D series trucks and Ramchargers. The LMC lockstrip is MUCH wider than stock. That is why it didn't fit the lockstrip tool. I should have checked BEFORE I installed it. But it is done and should be fine for years to come.

Learn from my mistakes! Verify all replacement parts are correct in all dimensions.

Attachments:
File comment: Lockstrip comparison
IMG_1957.JPG
IMG_1957.JPG [ 75.21 KiB | Viewed 4393 times ]
File comment: New lockstrip
IMG_1961.JPG
IMG_1961.JPG [ 97.5 KiB | Viewed 4393 times ]
File comment: Old lockstrip
IMG_1914.JPG
IMG_1914.JPG [ 103.13 KiB | Viewed 4393 times ]

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 11:12 am 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model: 75 Dart SE (2),75 Swinger, 74 Dart Sport,91 Ram RV
Looks OEM shiny. Did you have to modify the tool to make it work?

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 1:26 pm 
Supercharged

Yeah. I used a half-round file to slightly enlarge the opening in the tool but it still shaved a thin strip off each side of the lockstrip as it went in. The LMC lockstrip looks nice, but I wouldn't use it again. I ordered the installation tool LMC sells and will compare it to the extra bit of new lockstrip and the tool I used for installation and see if the LMC tool has a wider opening.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 11:21 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
I used something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-47000-Wind ... OA1CQ?th=1

Greg

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 11:49 am 
Supercharged

That is almost identical to the one I used. Mine had a curvein the square shaft, but the heads that are attached with the different profiles were the same as the tool you linked. I think the root cause of my difficulty was (a) my inexperience and (b) the fact that the lockstrip was wider than the opening of the tool.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 10:24 am 
Board Sponsor & SL6 Racer

Car Model: 65 Valiant 2Dr Post
Wow, I didn't use anything special when I put mine in my truck. I did buy the lock strip from Chrysler though. I think I just used a small screwdriver and worked it in. I may have sprayed a little bit of dawn in a spray bottle on it to help it slide into place.??

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 2:07 pm 
Supercharged

I first tried installing it with a small pick and a flat bladed screwdriver. It took me about 1.5 hours to get a single foot installed. I went through about half a bottle of window glass cleaner. I saw an instructional video where the guy used some baby oil. That would probably help a lot. The tool still took some time and more window cleaner but once I got the hang of it it went pretty quick, except the corners.

The factory lockstrip probably goes in much easier than this oversize stuff, too. If I ever do this again I will try and source factory lockstrip first and if I can't find any I will shop around the aftermarket carefully.