Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:35 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 3:56 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model: 1962 Dodge Dart
Hello,

I'm looking at buying a 68 Valiant tomorrow and have been told the rear door is stuck closed. It was working and just stopped from both the inside and outside. Is it really difficult to get to the mechanism in this state?

Sincerely,

Paul Barrow

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:03 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
I am having a similar problem with my '60 Valiant, not a stuck door but I am trying to free up the window regulator...but enough about my car. You will need to remove the door rest, and window crank and door latch, then use a trim tool to pop the door panel clips free to access the inside of the door. I would recommend removing the rear seat bottom to gain yourself some working room also. One tip if you have not already tried it is to douse the inside of the door with a lubricant (spray downward between the glass and window rubber) to maybe free up the mechanism that works the door latch but his will only work if the all the rods etc are still in place and have not popped off. Hope this helps. Take your time, you will get it! Good Luck

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:29 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
On the 1967-76 it's not that hard, but it requires being able to remove the inside door trim panel...I had a similar issue on my 67
where an impact in the rear door on the 4 door had broken the plastic retaining clip and left the latch actuator rod dangling.
My remedy, was to remove the bottom part of the rear bench seat, unscrew the inside door handle, slowly remove the door skin
with a panel removal tool, or very very carefully with a large flat blade screwdriver...remove the plastic vapor barrier, then reach in
and actuate the lever so you can get in there and make the linkage repair... replace the vapor barrier with caulk or mastic as an
adhesive, reinstall the door panel, and reinstall the inside handle, and benchseat.

good luck and make sure to put a little synthetic or lithium grease on the moving parts.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:03 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 64 Plymouth Valiant
Open up the door that does work, remove the paneling and see how the mechanisms work.................

Just remember it's a mirror image.

:mrgreen:

8)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:47 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 76 D100
I had a similar problem ion a 68 Dart I just worked on. I pulled hard on the inside handle and pushed hard on the inside of the door and it popped open. I hope you are as lucky.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 8:02 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model: 1962 Dodge Dart
Thanks a ton guys, I'll keep all of that in mind if I make the purchase. Any recommendations on the trim tool?

Paul

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:35 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model: 68 Valiant
So have you successfully removed the stuck door? We visited a local yard and the owner is offering a Valiant with stuck doors. My uncle is thinking of taking it in as the next project after we finished installing the bumper and winch from 4Wheelonline on the current truck project and sold it.