Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:49 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 6:03 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Today I installed a Quiet Ride Trunk Insulation Set on the 67 Dart rag-top. The car is noisy with the top up. Lots of tire, exhaust, and engine noise, that quickly becomes irksome on anything but a short trip.
It was a borderline PIA job. First there numerous self sticking tar strips to be stuck on the sheet metal of the trunk floor and the area over the axle per instructions. The next step was to fit pre-cut foil backed carpet padding that required a lot of fine tuning to fit. Than it all had to be glued in place with spray contact cement provided in the kit which dispensed perfectly. The seams where the various pre-cut pieces butt-up with aluminum foil tape which was a real PIA the peal from its backing.

I toke the car for a short ride to see if there is any improvement in the noise level, and yes it is quieter. But, I still have to cover the area from the top's pump down to the carpet under the rear seat, and the rear wheel wells. That project will take place soon, and should make a big difference as that area is currently untreated.

The passenger's outer door handle's push button rattles the other sticks, and they have been driving me nuts for the last few years. When I put this car back on the road in 2008 I had applied some inexpensive redneck fix to both handles, so new ones are going to be ordered.

While installing the QRide kit, I decided the crusty old (I suspect it's original to the car) well liner needs to be replaced. That thing just snaps in.

I up graded the wheels and tires during the disk brake upgrade, and the mounted tire and wheels no longer fit in the spare's well in the trunk. My plan is to carpet the trunk, and keep the well free to increase trunk space. I need to make up some patterns, and have a shop stitch all that together.