Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 1:02 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 4:19 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 76 D100
OK, I have a crazy idea I am keeping under my hat for now, but I have a question.

Does anyone out there have a picture or can they tell me where the body seam is on the A pillar of an 80s era Dodge D-series truck? Is it up at the top where the A pillar meets the roof panel or is there one lower down by the firewall? A picture would be fabulous, but I would be very happy with a verbal description, too.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:13 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model: Slant Six M37
Reed,
I'm not clear about what you are asking for, but this shows the cab seem up at the top??
Fast forward to 6:18?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hu1NtzERqdE

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:48 am 
Supercharged

Car Model: 76 D100
Jase wrote:
Reed,
I'm not clear about what you are asking for, but this shows the cab seem up at the top??
Fast forward to 6:18?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hu1NtzERqdE

That is the seam in the B pillar. The A pillars are the ones on either side of the windshield.

However, I found the answer to my question. There is no "seam", just a bazillion spot welds and flanges.

Just to explain, I ended up purchasing a 1993 Ramcharger for VERY cheap because is has very bad roof rust in the rain channel area. I found a near rust free Ramcharger roof at a junkyrd and have cut the junkyard roof off and I am going to just replace the entire roof assembly rather than cut out and replace just the rusty bits in the original roof. My plan is to separate the body panels at the factory spot welds. I won't be able to do that on the A pillars, but I will reinforce the welds on the cuts I made mid-pillar.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:22 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model: Slant Six M37
Reed wrote:
Just to explain, I ended up purchasing a 1993 Ramcharger for VERY cheap because is has very bad roof rust in the rain channel area. I found a near rust free Ramcharger roof at a junkyrd and have cut the junkyard roof off and I am going to just replace the entire roof assembly rather than cut out and replace just the rusty bits in the original roof. My plan is to separate the body panels at the factory spot welds. I won't be able to do that on the A pillars, but I will reinforce the welds on the cuts I made mid-pillar.

It always feels good to snag a project no one else wants, for little more than a song.. Pictures would be fun to see as I cannot imagine how the A pillars are attached...

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 10:20 am 
Supercharged

Car Model: 80 volare, 78 fury 2 dr, 85 D150
My experience with the ugly grill years (91-93) is that they rotted out faster than most 72-90s did, and rust was more likely in places I didn't see as much of in the earlier years of them