Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:50 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:35 am 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model: 1981 B-150 original California short passenger Van
Reed wrote:
My brother tells me that sometimes his 83 does have a pressurized gas tank when he takes the fill cap off.

Whew! Thank you (and him)! I’ll keep a watchful eye on the situation for any problems, hoping that the lack of pressure in the past was due to a system leak or the failed rollover valve.

~~Back in some days or weeks with more~~

))Sonic((

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:58 am 
Supercharged

Car Model: 76 D100
I recommend you head over to www.vanning.com and ask a question about the fuel door. That is odd. There must be some emissions package that ha the older style gas cap.

Post subject: Wrap Up/Conclusions
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:03 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model: 1981 B-150 original California short passenger Van
* As of a couple of weeks ago, i finally contacted Filler Neck Supply Co., to find out if they could supply an off-the-shelf or custom filler neck which would flow better and not trip off pumps so easily. They could not do anything for me.

* The whoosh of vacuum when i open the gas cap seems to be normal. No issues found so far related to it. It also hasn’t been as loud, so i may have just happened upon a situation where the effect is more severe (freeway driving for about 6 miles then immediately pulling up to a pump and removing the cap). Very likely all the years i lacked a slight vacuum, there was a(n excessive) leak.

* I have now put gas in the van several times in the past few months: mostly 5 and 10 gallons at a time, with 15 gallons today. Filling is sufficiently workable that i am ceasing to pursue this issue.

The last two times have been very interesting. By chance, they happened to be at the same pump, at the Alhambra, California Costco station. Both times, i filled early in the morning (Saturday mornings, not crowded). Both times, i pretended that nothing whatsoever was wrong, and carefully used the nozzle as intended. A few weeks ago, i put in 9 gallons with no issues, stopping and restarting by my choice because i didn’t want to put in more than that (long irrelevant story) and i couldn’t see the pump’s display. Today, with yet another success, i carefully squeezed a bit more and engaged the first latch! I haven’t been able to latch a pump nozzle in years!

Conclusion: there are a lot more variables with the pump and the station than i formerly believed. I’m not going to stress any more, the way i did in September: if i have trouble, i’ll go to a different pump (or station).

It will be interesting to see what happens over time, especially during hot weather. My successes have been during cool/cold mornings. It might be that i have to fill the tank when it’s cool.

Big Thanks (again) to everyone who contributed to this thread! I’m calling it done now, with no further plans to update it unless something truly significant arises.

))Sonic((

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:39 pm 
Supercharged

FYI- last year I bought a 76 D100 that has a similar fueling issue as your van. I think it is justca matter of modern fuel pumps being too smart for older fuel necks. I can fill it if I am patient.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:35 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
matv91 wrote:
[Image This tube looks like a direct replacement for your tube. From 1986 van.

Last edited by matv91 on Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:45 am 
Supercharged

Wow, resurrecting a four-year-dormant thread! This reminds me that I have owned my truck for five years and never changed the oil, or done much else to it.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:30 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
Tried to get photobucket to work, failed. Your old truck what,s your vin number?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:22 pm 
Supercharged

matv91 wrote:
Tried to get photobucket to work, failed. Your old truck what,s your vin number?

D14BB6S327283

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:32 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
https://www.dodgetalk.com/threads/1975- ... tem.45059/ Fourth digit B heavy duty