Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:07 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:15 am 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model: 1983 D150 Slantsix 4 speed
I've been trying to add the new fuel pump on the block but I'm having no luck. Any tips? What am I missing

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:34 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 80 volare, 78 fury 2 dr, 85 D150
What's the issue? Should go right in. They do mount "upside down" from a small block.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 5:58 am 
3 Deuce Weber

volaredon wrote:
What's the issue? Should go right in. They do mount "upside down" from a small block.

For whatever reason I can't just mount it in.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:33 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model: 1965 Plymouth Belvedere I
Spin the engine over, maybe half or a full turn. The cam lobe might be at the highest point and trying to compress the arm while you mount it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:20 am 
3 Deuce Weber

Badvert65 wrote:
Spin the engine over, maybe half or a full turn. The cam lobe might be at the highest point and trying to compress the arm while you mount it.

Will the lever go above or underneath the cam

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:43 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model: 1965 Plymouth Belvedere I
If I recall correctly, the pump arm goes above the cam.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 5:48 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Yeah this is one of those love hate replacements...it's not too hard to install, but you gotta remove the alternator and coil if doing it on a stock A body
on the side of the road....

Assuming the patient is ready and the battery is not connected for safety (and maybe the wheels chocked), and the area is cleared of parts and wiring...
Catch pan under the pump. Undo the hoses and hard fuel line. Using a ratchet undo the 2 bolts retaining the old pump to the block. Use cleaner and
brush/scraper to clean the pad of grime and the old gasket. Use a tool like a ratchet extension while someone helps to roll the crank over and find out
where the pump cam lobe is at. Make sure the lobe is facing the drivers side or ground. Put a thin smear of RTV on the back of the pump to block gasket
and partially install with the lever over the top of the cam. The pump cannot be fully seated because of the lever... install one bolt finger tight then the other,
alternate as needed until the pump is seated to required torque specs (on a HIPo motor I loctite the bolts, as I have loosened the pump from lots of high rpm
use...).
Reattach the fuel lines, put all the other parts, wiring, and belts back where they were and fire it back up... the engine will run a bit on the gas in the carb bowl,
but may die if the pump hasn't drawn enough from the tank to fill the line and the bowl, so repeat cranking as necessary. (There will be more room to work if it's
a truck...LOL)

Good Luck

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:14 am 
3 Deuce Weber

DusterIdiot wrote:
Yeah this is one of those love hate replacements...it's not too hard to install, but you gotta remove the alternator and coil if doing it on a stock A body
on the side of the road....

Assuming the patient is ready and the battery is not connected for safety (and maybe the wheels chocked), and the area is cleared of parts and wiring...
Catch pan under the pump. Undo the hoses and hard fuel line. Using a ratchet undo the 2 bolts retaining the old pump to the block. Use cleaner and
brush/scraper to clean the pad of grime and the old gasket. Use a tool like a ratchet extension while someone helps to roll the crank over and find out
where the pump cam lobe is at. Make sure the lobe is facing the drivers side or ground. Put a thin smear of RTV on the back of the pump to block gasket
and partially install with the lever over the top of the cam. The pump cannot be fully seated because of the lever... install one bolt finger tight then the other,
alternate as needed until the pump is seated to required torque specs (on a HIPo motor I loctite the bolts, as I have loosened the pump from lots of high rpm
use...).
Reattach the fuel lines, put all the other parts, wiring, and belts back where they were and fire it back up... the engine will run a bit on the gas in the carb bowl,
but may die if the pump hasn't drawn enough from the tank to fill the line and the bowl, so repeat cranking as necessary. (There will be more room to work if it's
a truck...LOL)
Yeah its a truck didn't need to remove many parts. Thanks

Good Luck

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:14 am 
3 Deuce Weber

Badvert65 wrote:
If I recall correctly, the pump arm goes above the cam.

I figured it out Thank you