Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:10 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:24 pm 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model: 1983 B150
Hi All,

My HEI conversion went too smoothly so I was due for some sort of dumb mistake.
I'm a klutz and broke the unremovable main well tube out of my Holley 1945 and looking for recommendations on how to proceed (actually I think mine is a 6145 as it has the staked in main plunger rather than the one with the screwed down cap). Yes my FSM kindly warned me "be careful, main well tube is not removable" so I was very very careful, and then moments later I was very very absent minded.

This is out of my 1983 Dodge B150 with the 225, I'm not really too concerned with power or speed, I am really only chasing reliability and whatever fuel economy I can so I had just finished the HEI conversion and was happy with the brief initial results when I developed a massive fuel leak during the test drive. Sadly I'm almost certain it was as simple as just a float issue as it was pouring straight out at the accelerator pump actuating rod but my excitement over the HEI being done and getting back to test driving made me move too fast, now I'm here.

Ebay has "refurbished" options at almost $300 which hurts so I just want to make sure that it is really my best option? At that high of a price are there any recommended alternatives that are somewhat near the same price tag such that I might as well just go for to make the best of it and maybe squeeze out a little more mpg or general reliability? I'd wait around till I see if a cheap used, non-refurbished replacement one comes up on ebay but I'm not keen on waiting an unknown time for that to happen. Can I drill it out and solder in my own creation? (joking...mostly)

Thanks for any advice, thoughts, ideas, etc!

Regards,

David

Attachments:
File comment: Broken main well tube
BrokenMainWell (1).png
BrokenMainWell (1).png [ 150.53 KiB | Viewed 3132 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:03 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 64 Plymouth Valiant
My idea is a one step smaller brass/copper tube that just fits inside......

8)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:40 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
https://www.carburetor-parts.com/holley ... parts.html

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:57 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
The 1940 and 1945 are much the same carb type

Attachments:
main well.jpeg
main well.jpeg [ 192.58 KiB | Viewed 3096 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:05 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
https://www.carburetor-parts.com/holley-17-92.html OD is correct . length maybe 1/4 inch too long. This might work,call mike see what he says. A better picture would help, air bleed holes have to be there can not be just solid tube.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:19 am 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model: 1983 B150
@emsvitil last night I was mulling over similar ideas. I found a lot of options for tiny brass tube stock online, a foot of a pretty similar diameter is only a few dollars, might be worth seeing if I can hold it gently enough in my drill press not to crush the tube and recreate it the best I can. Any idea how much I could mess up performance via having slight variations in well tube I.D.? I should be able to match drill diameter at least but I'll have to slightly increase tube size to maintain a press fit after drilling out the existing broken tube.

@matv91 I scoured through carb-parts and another site, I think it was quadrajetparts.com, and both had an impressive selection of odds and ends that aren't covered in standard rebuild kits like pressed in vent tubes and whatnot but unfortunately I didn't see any replacements for this well tube on the 1945. I'll keep searching later, I would imagine someone has them for places who refurbish or a different model used the same thing.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:56 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 64 Plymouth Valiant
I don't see any problems if the ID area is greater than the area of the sum of the holes in the tube.

8)