Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:59 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:46 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model: Slant Six M37
I see an AC Delco listed locally but it has to be 20 years old, or more.

Am I asking for trouble to install such and expect it to perform as well as a new one from China or where ever they are made now?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:34 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 80 volare, 78 fury 2 dr, 85 D150
as long as it was stored indoors and relatively dry (not necessarily A/C and temp controlled round the clock haha) Id definitely give it a chance.... it most likely won't be any worse off than that chinesium. i bought 2 NOS Carter ones a year ago, the one I have taken out of the box so far looked just as I expected....if it was rusted or water damaged, etc from storage I might have worried about it..... running fine on my son's truck. The 2nd one is going onto my new motor.
Id rather chance "old stock" than new Chinesium any day of the week.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:46 pm 
EFI Slant 6

I agree quality wise, I am unsure about the rubber bellows holding up to the ethanol long term. I suppose if the rubber is meant to hold up to gasoline, it may do fine with ethanol.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:15 pm 
Supercharged

Well E10 has been around since the /6 was still available as an option in a new car. So you should be fine there.
If you want to run E85 regularly? Not sure about that.
Though back when I had my 83 D250 (318) with higher compression heads than stock, and a mild cam with a performer intake and carb I tried up to 1/2 tank at a time of E85 mixed with plain regular gas "87" and surprisingly that engine loved the stuff. I probably ran a dozen tanks of 1/2 E85 and 1/2 regular 87 thru it over the years and I had no bad effects on the carb or the fuel pump.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:21 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
I had fewer problems—i.e., none—with NOS reputable-brand pumps (and the AC units with the large round flat-top body were my favourites of the crimped pumps) than with the fuel pump-shaped garbage made in the People's Republic of Trinketstan or wherever.

And that was with E10 or other oxygenated gasoline.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:03 am 
EFI Slant 6

volaredon wrote:
Well E10 has been around since the /6 was still available as an option in a new car. So you should be fine there.

I had no idea that E10, was available in the 70's, for widespread use.. I would have guessed the 1990's but that shows you how much I know.

SlantSixDan wrote:
I had fewer problems—i.e., none—with NOS reputable-brand pumps (and the AC units with the large round flat-top body were my favourites of the crimped pumps) than with the fuel pump-shaped garbage made in the People's Republic of Trinketstan or wherever.

And that was with E10 or other oxygenated gasoline.

More good news! I will go snap it up, and quit over-thinking the whole issue.

Thanks Guys.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:48 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model: 1982 D150 225, 2bbl., 833 OD
I'd also think that you would be good to go with that pump. I have a old stock USA Carter to install some day. Likely not a bad idea to have yet another old stock on hand. The E10 or E15 may be harder on them, but I don't know that.

In my area, the only Ethanol dosed fuel was "gasohol" E10 which showed up very rarely after circa '79-'80. The only place I saw it was at the long gone Getty brand stations. Much more common in the Midwest from what I recall. 2-5% and much later, 10% Ethanol showed in Phila. county only as required reformulated fuel starting in about the mid to late '80's. Then became the common fuel phased in state-wide 'round a bout early to mid 2000's.

The EPA has long tried to move to all E15 and now remove pump labeling. Lobbying by the American Motorcyclist Association and a few others has been the holdup. It's already been a major problem for even late model vehicles, like Ducati's and others with plastic tanks and dual sports with carburetors. Also quick corrosion of metal tanks from the water after the factory liner coat is eaten.

I'm fortunate to have about 5 stations with E0 not far away. On my two newer cars I seldom use it, but on my 40 yr. old bike and 39 yr. old truck, it's no ethanol.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:57 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Also see here.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:42 pm 
Supercharged

Not related to the thread so much, but on the subject of ethanol fuel I am about sick n tired of having to replace carbs on my weed eater,. Chain saw, pole pruner, hedge cutter and other such small engines..... mostly Stihl. Yet I've left my Fury sit untouched for 2 years at a time/ twice/ in the 14 years I have had it with gas in it from when I last previously drove it and I haven't had to touch the Holley 2280 (318 equipped car) yet in all those years. Pump the pedal as I crank it for the first time in the spring and starts with little issues every spring after winter hibernation.
No car shows/cruise nites last year due to the scamdemic, so it sat in the garage with gas from the previous year still in it, I think I went up and started it 2x long enough to let it warm up in all of 2020 and it started as easily and willingly as always when I got it out this year. And I haven't yet had to put a new fuel pump (mechanical style) in that car yet, either.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:19 am 
EFI Slant 6

SlantSixDan wrote:
Also see here.

Truth is stranger than fiction.. and science supersedes casual observation.

volaredon wrote:
Not related to the thread so much, but on the subject of ethanol fuel I am about sick n tired of having to replace carbs on my weed eater,. Chain saw, pole pruner, hedge cutter and other such small engines..... mostly Stihl. Yet I've left my Fury sit untouched for 2 years at a time/ twice/ in the 14 years I have had it with gas in it from when I last previously drove it and I haven't had to touch the Holley 2280 (318 equipped car) yet in all those years. Pump the pedal as I crank it for the first time in the spring and starts with little issues every spring after winter hibernation.
No car shows/cruise nites last year due to the scamdemic, so it sat in the garage with gas from the previous year still in it, I think I went up and started it 2x long enough to let it warm up in all of 2020 and it started as easily and willingly as always when I got it out this year. And I haven't yet had to put a new fuel pump (mechanical style) in that car yet, either.

Yeah, I have had issues with small engines repeatedly and hence what might be characterized (in light of this new information, which echo's others shared experience) as an over reaction, and worry influenced assumption that the big fuel systems will show the same stress's that seem to effect the chain saw.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:50 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model: 1966 2D Dart
volaredon wrote:
If you want to run E85 regularly? Not sure about that.

I have used the same mechanical fuel pump over 2 decades. It has not met anything else than E85 since 2010. Still working well.