Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:46 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: Fuel tank replacement
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:31 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model: 78’ dodge D100 slant six
So after about 7 years my repair is coming undone. The crack is starting to show again. This old truck, 78 d100, had a large crack about 1 foot long. After some research I bought a plastic welder and fixed it for the time being. Now I believe this plastic is nearing its full time usage and done. I’d like to keep the original placement and size. What does everyone use? I’m not putting a fuel cell or putting it in the bed or behind the seat. Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:23 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 80 volare, 78 fury 2 dr, 85 D150
I don't know where in the world you are but my son had the se issue with his 80 D150 and it took a while but I found a good used replacement. Supposed to be able to use an 81-87 tank but (Haven't tried it) I have heard that you have to swap out the cross member from the 81-87 truck.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 4:56 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Seems like those tanks may be hard to find.

LMC does not have them,
https://www.lmctruck.com/fuel-system/gas-tanks-parts

you may be able to adapt one from a 78-89 Truck or Go with a behind the seat adaptation from LMC.

I have one but am not willing to sell it as it's a spare for my '77 Longbed. :(

Greg

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:13 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model:
78-88 tanks are hard to find, also. 89 tank is slightly different, due to the fact of in tank fuel pump for FI. but it can be used. I would like to find a tank, also. My 88 D-150 leaks slightly when totally full. Bought a used tank for my 84-D-100, and it was $250 shipping included, from out of state.
PS: both my trucks have the 30 gal tank.

64 Valiant Signet
64 Valiant 4dr 170

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:54 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
When I re did the 83 D150 I put in a fuel tank from an 89 D150 to get the in tank electric fuel pump. The oe tank was around 18 gallons the 89 tank is the 28 gallon version. The larger capacity tank bolted in easily, the filler is in the same spot, I did have to fab up a front mount.
As mentioned, used replacement fuel tanks can be hard to find. The local pull a parts all cut a hole in the fuel tank bottom, rendering the fuel tank useless. I finally found that 89 fuel tank at a small mom and pop salvage yard.
As a side note, when I removed the 83 fuel tank it was in fine shape. However I stored it outside and some squirrels decided that it would make a fine storage facility for their winter supply of black walnuts and other squirrel treats. They knawed a hole in the side and just about filled it with nuts and leaves and pine cones.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:27 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 80 volare, 78 fury 2 dr, 85 D150
3rd time posting this.... at home right now, instead of on my stupid phone.
Screw LMC!!!! They can't even acknowledge Dodge even built a truck, before 1994. we all know better!!!
I've been waiting for a catalog from them, that I ordered for my former 83 D250, for about 10 years now..... a truck I no longer even own.
They even got IH back to 1947.....what gives?

I had to find my son a tank for his 1980, took a while, but I finally found it. Like DadTruck said, I found this one at a Mom and Pop junkyard.

I first got him one out of an 84, I didn't try to get under it, but he claimed an 84 tank wouldn't fit an 80.... so I wound up selling the '84 tank
I have heard from various forums, that you have to take a crossmember out of the 81+ truck with the 80s gas tank into a late 70s truck.
I also know that the tank changed within the 72-80 time, too. the 75-76 has the inlet going into the tank further inboard almost on the far side (closer to passenger side) as there are a few of those in a yard near me.