Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:55 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 12:44 am 
Supercharged

Car Model: 76 D100
I recently purchased an unsed but abused Holley 2300 Economster carb off eBay. It has truly never had gas in it but someone cross thread the power valve and F'd up the metering block. I bought the Holley power valve rethreading tool and cleaned up the threads on the metering block and installed a new 10.5 power valve.

I have been researching these carbs and see that most people don't like them because of the idle circuit (a) being reversed from the older "normal" Holley carbs and (b) letting a fixed amount of fuel pass to the carb with the mixture screws doing nothing but make the mixture leaner. There is no real factory intended way to make the idle circuit provide more fuel than the factory set the carb up for.

I like the wagon wheel venturies for the improved vacuum signal they provide and am really tempted to try this carb out.

I found a Fox body Mustang website where a guy goes into detail about how he modified a reverse idle metering block for a four barrel Holley to operate like a "normal" idle mixture crcuit:

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread. ... e-quot-and

The guy seems to know his stuf and he provides some nice illustrations. What he proposes does not sound too difficult, and my metering block has already suffered damage, so I am game to give this a shot if more knowledgable Holley tuners think this trick might work. Looks like all I need to buy is a standard metering block, some JB weld, some appropriately sized brass plugs, an appropriate tap, and some appropriately sized solder.

Anyone willing to offer some insight? Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:14 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Reed wrote:
I have been researching these carbs and see that most people don't like them because of the idle circuit (a) being reversed from the older "normal" Holley carbs and (b) letting a fixed amount of fuel pass to the carb with the mixture screws doing nothing but make the mixture leaner. There is no real factory intended way to make the idle circuit provide more fuel than the factory set the carb up for.

1. Reading opinions (including this one) on web forums (including this one) is not research. The signal:noise ratio on this forum is unusually good; it's much worse on other web forums, and even worse on the web in general, which is full of people giving out advice they're not qualified to be giving, based on what they mistakenly think they understand of what they mistakenly think they saw. If I were a betting man, I'd lay good money down that most "Ewwwww, reverse idle circuits are poopy!" types of opinions come from people who do not know what the eff they're doing.

2. What indication do you have that the reverse idle circuit would cause you a problem? You say there's no way to make the idle circuit provide more fuel than a certain rich-limit set at the factory. So…what makes you think it won't be enough? The engine only cares that the fuel:air ratio is correct; it doesn't know or care whether that's achieved by adding more fuel or adding less air.

Quote:
I like the wagon wheel venturies for the improved vacuum signal they provide and am really tempted to try this carb out.

Doooo eeeeet! I would suggest trying it out as-is before modifying it.

Quote:
I found a Fox body Mustang website where a guy goes into detail about how he modified a reverse idle metering block for a four barrel Holley to operate like a "normal" idle mixture crcuit

…in order to achieve what benefit?

Quote:
Anyone willing to offer some insight?

Ready…aim…FIRE! works better and costs less than Ready…FIRE!…aim.

:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:49 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 76 D100
Hi Dan! Good to hear from you!

The reason I say the reverse idle circuit is problematic is because everything I have read about the cabr states the idle circuit was set very lean, problematically so, and changing the jets doesn't affect the curb idle mix.

I suppose I should give it a go before I spend the money on a new metering block and put in the effort to modify the air bleeds and passages on this otherwise good condition carb. I will give it a try after I get my wideband O2 sensor up and working and before I swap on my dual plane intake and Carter AFB. If the idle mix looks too lean for comfort with the Holley 2300, I will pull it and go back to the Carter AFB on there now.