Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:18 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: BBD...BAD To The Bone!
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 12:58 pm 
Contributor

Car Model: 1964 Valiant convertible 225 automatic
The Carter BBD on my ’64 225 is finally acting terminal, so I’m looking for opinions.

The Super Six manifold came from my ’79 Aspen parts car, and it ran quite well for a couple of years. I then rebuilt the entire engine along with the original carb. It ran reasonably well for a couple more years until the Ethanol laced fuel began to gum it up. I rebuilt it again about ten years ago and it ran very well, until a few weeks ago when it began stumbling under light acceleration.

I ordered a new Standard rebuild kit and rebuilt it again. There was an immediate problem as fuel began to leak around the needle valve seat. When compared to the old part, the seat appeared to have been machined improperly so I cleaned and installed the old valve and seat. The leak stopped, and the car ran well again.

Then last week it began to load up and die when decelerating and at idle, so I kept the old seat and tried the new needle valve from the kit, but now it’s leaking again around the connection.
The carb is visibly aged and had been rebuilt before I got it, so I’ve been thinking of just buying a new one. Surprise! No longer available. There were a couple of NOS carbs on e-bay, but they probably have parts that won’t survive Ethanol and would immediately need a rebuild.

My experience with rebuilt/remanufactured carbs has not been great, but it appears that I don’t have many options. So, do I order a new valve and seat and try again, or do I hold my nose, cross my fingers, and buy a remanufactured carb, or does someone have a better idea?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 6:17 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
I still have some new-in-box (not "remanufactured", I mean new) Bendix Stromberg WW3 two-barrel carbs on the shelf. Originals for various '60s 273-318 cars. I ran one on my '65 for a few years, and another one on my '62 for a few years. Clean and in good condition, they tend to be "shut up and work" carburetors, and their build and materials quality (castings, etc) is quite a bit above similar-year Carter-Holley levels.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 4:23 am 
Contributor

I'll do some research on that option to see what choke and linkage issues might arise, and since those years were before the Ethanol invasion, I assume I'd also have to install a modern rebuild kit. I do have a station that still sells real gasoline, but it's about ten miles out of my way and the price is higher, though with the amount of driving I do these days, that's not a big deal. Thanks for the offer, Dan!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 11:37 am 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
They are ethanol-safe with or without a rebuild kit. The throttle linkage hookup is same as Carter BBD. Choke hookup difference depends on which type of choke thermostat (or manual choke) you're using.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2022 10:03 am 
Contributor

Dan, thanks again for the offer to part with one of your carbs, but for a few bucks I first tried the least expensive way. To my surprise, the problem was cured with a new needle valve and seat from an old stock Standard part. When the box is shelf worn, but you can still read "Made in the USA" i get a warm feeling.

When I told the old-timer at the O'Reilly parts counter it was for a BBD, he immediately said..."old Mopar!" That was after the first kid demanded the year, make and model of the used on. When I gave the tag number, the older guy pulled a book from under the counter and found the part number in about thirty seconds. I'll have to quit the car hobby when the last of those guys around here retires